Well b back

Come on Sarah

52 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Sorry, I've just read the BBC article properly.  For Jan/Feb they say they've setup imported doses of the vaccine (if it works) but it doesn't say where they'll be importing them from, and after that they'll be manufacturing their own.

I'm assuming there are plenty of countries that will have massive manufacturing capacity in play by then if the UK phase III trial is positive reasonably soon.

Mainly India I believe.

• Like 1

This is the nearest yet to the ‘ Oxford Works ‘. Far more clarification from the Australian health guy and News. They seem to be manufacturing already by the looks of it ?. The other one of the two is only just in phase 1, so one has to say Trump may get his wish. If we are going to stick lots of red tape in the way we could be last with our own ‘ First Vaccine ‘. It seems Russia, USA, India and now Australia are going for it very soon with emergency legislation.

As usual opinion but there is no way a health official would make this public if they didn’t know more. I predict now Whitty is going to get the blame to make Boris look good.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8704803/Coronavirus-vaccine-provide-multi-year-protection-says-health-minister-Greg-Hunt.html

This is the scientists view ( according to the telegraph ). I wonder if newspapers will fall in line with this view ( giving weight to the anti Vaxers ) or the political view ( which will ignore some major scientists ). As usual a bit of my own opinion, but I thought the Oxford vaccine had been out for years ? Not just a few months quoted in this article ?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/speed-coronavirus-vaccine-race-crazy-unsafe-scientists-warn/

10 minutes ago, Well b back said:

This is the nearest yet to the ‘ Oxford Works ‘. Far more clarification from the Australian health guy and News. They seem to be manufacturing already by the looks of it ?. The other one of the two is only just in phase 1, so one has to say Trump may get his wish. If we are going to stick lots of red tape in the way we could be last with our own ‘ First Vaccine ‘. It seems Russia, USA, India and now Australia are going for it very soon with emergency legislation.

As usual opinion but there is no way a health official would make this public if they didn’t know more. I predict now Whitty is going to get the blame to make Boris look good.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8704803/Coronavirus-vaccine-provide-multi-year-protection-says-health-minister-Greg-Hunt.html

On thinking about this as they seem to think the immunity lasts for years, they must know a lot that has not yet been released.

3 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-uk-latest-cases-deaths-airport-tests-schools/amp/

I see old handwanger has decided there'll be a vaccine early next year... kinda makes me feel less hopeful there actually will be one!

From everything I am reading I fear the U.K. are getting left behind with our own vaccine. Whilst others are manufacturing huge quantities we are still building the place that’s going to be mass producing the U.K. doses. Shambles.

Note the words registered !. If ( and as always I stand to be corrected ) I read the articles from the likes of NY Times and Australian Mail correctly the vaccine will be administered to certain groups before it is fully registered by using emergency legislation if it is clear it works. 
Vaccines currently undergoing trials at Oxford University and in Germany are the most likely candidates to be ready this year, a leading expert has said. Kate Bingham, chair of the UK Vaccine Taskforce, said: "I think we have a shot of getting a vaccine this year. There's two potential candidates, one would be the Oxford candidate and the other one is the German vaccine from BioNTech. Those are the two that if everything works could potentially be both registered and delivered this year, it is most likely to be next year, though."

Following on from the last post, note scientists say it would have to go through regulations, no mentions of what governments think.

Trials of the Oxford coronavirus vaccine may have gathered enough data to show whether it works and is safe by the end of the year – but it will then need to go through the regulatory process, scientists say.

Prof Andrew Pollard, the director of the Oxford Vaccine Group, said it is “just possible” that there may be enough clinical trial data on Oxford University’s Covid-19 vaccine to put before the regulators this year.

Prof Chris Whitty, England’s chief medical officer, has said a vaccine may not be ready until next winter. Pollard suggested they were hoping to go faster.

“I think that Chris Whitty is quite rightly being cautious, that it could take as long as that to first of all demonstrate a vaccine works and is safe and then to go through the processes of regulators looking at that very carefully to make sure everything’s been done correctly,” Pollard told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

Advertisement

“But it is also just possible that, if the cases accrue rapidly in the clinical trials, that we could have that data to put before regulators this year, and then there would be a process that they go through in order to make a full assessment of the data.”

That could still mean the vaccine would not be approved this year. The timing is also dependent on trials in countries with high infection rates, so that a clear difference can be seen between those who get the vaccine and those who do not.

“Even with 1,000 people, eventually you’ll have enough information to know whether or not a vaccine works, but that could take years. So, having 20,000 people in our trials already means that that period of time will be shorter, but unfortunately I can’t quite predict the future about how many cases are going to occur.”

7 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Note the words registered !. If ( and as always I stand to be corrected ) I read the articles from the likes of NY Times and Australian Mail correctly the vaccine will be administered to certain groups before it is fully registered by using emergency legislation if it is clear it works. 
Vaccines currently undergoing trials at Oxford University and in Germany are the most likely candidates to be ready this year, a leading expert has said. Kate Bingham, chair of the UK Vaccine Taskforce, said: "I think we have a shot of getting a vaccine this year. There's two potential candidates, one would be the Oxford candidate and the other one is the German vaccine from BioNTech. Those are the two that if everything works could potentially be both registered and delivered this year, it is most likely to be next year, though."

I just noticed the headline to this quote was ‘ When will there be a Vaccine in the U.K. ‘ it didn’t mention anywhere else.

Interesting as as we know this is something this thread advised we should have been telling the kids weeks ago. The words the horse has already bolted springs to mind

The health secretary has warned young people that the “long-term effects can be terrible” for those who get coronavirus, following a rise in daily cases.

The mail have just posted on Jenners website an article from a prominent scientist regards not being scared of the virus. Within it was this quote. Do they know the results ? Is this really indicating 6 weeks until we start mass producing ? - to be fair I thought that was already being done.

There is also good news on vaccine development. There are now 10,000 people in the UK who have had one or two double doses of a vaccine under development in Oxford, and a further 8,000 are being vaccinated in Brazil, a country which has one of the highest rates of infection.

The outlook is promising, and I believe the trial will be satisfactorily concluded in the next few months.

If the results are positive, there will be a supply of the vaccine available to start treating vulnerable groups once regulatory approval occurs. Indeed, it is quite possible we will get the green light for manufacture within six weeks.

This would be the ultimate game changer. But it will take time to vaccinate larger populations, whole cities for example, so we need flexible testing in place too.

• Like 1

So here we have Sarah speaking on the 1/9. You will need to go to the twitter feed then you will see the video in question. If anyone can put that up as a link on its own please do, but I am struggling. 
You will note Sarah explains how safe this vaccine is. There is also a lot she says that makes a mockery of some of the things we are hearing, for instance the trials are way over subscribed, there will be 3 billion doses ready by mid 2021, she questions herd immunity and also questions why some of the tings being printed are allowed to be. I also didn’t realise that the reason it normally takes 10 years to develop a vaccine is funding, nothing to do with ability. She explains that normally you would develop then go to funders, then phase 1 then go to funders ect ect. It’s worth listening to all of it but Sarah begins at 12 mins. The first speaker is Moderna who start by saying I am glad I am going before Sarah as after she has spoken you won’t want to hear me. ENJOY.

https://www.jenner.ac.uk/

That’s f***** things up. A volunteer on Oxford has become ill so the trial has gone on hold. Apparently this is something that happens regular, and as yet they do not know why the volunteer is ill it maybe nothing to do with the vaccine.

5 hours ago, Well b back said:

That’s f***** things up. A volunteer on Oxford has become ill so the trial has gone on hold. Apparently this is something that happens regular, and as yet they do not know why the volunteer is ill it maybe nothing to do with the vaccine.

Probably a City defender. 😉

The crass stupidity of a Nationalistic attitude over international cooperation. Racism and xenophobia of the right wing nut jobs costs job and lives. 

7 hours ago, Well b back said:

Don't thinkit is anything to worry about Wbb. Seems that if anybody who is on the trial falls ill with anything at all - the trial is stopped and an investigation takes place to ensure that the illness is not caused by the vaccine. When you think of how many people are involved in the trial, it is almost inevitable that somebody will contract some illness. I'm sure they will be thoroughly checked, pretty quickly, and the trial will then immediately resume.

4 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Being reported it is Transverse Myelitis. Got to confess I'd never heard of it before today. Hopefully not vaccine related

I've just looked this up.  Sounds nasty, poor sod.

Like you say hopefully unrelated snd just a function of the number of subjects they are dealing with. Good news is that this delay shows that we are witnessing a proper study not just some show trial.

Is the pause also less dramatic than it sounds?  You can't deinnoculate someone so presumably these guys will be followed as usual with the pause only being in the the introduction of new recruits.

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

I've just looked this up.  Sounds nasty, poor sod.

Like you say hopefully unrelated snd just a function of the number of subjects they are dealing with. Good news is that this delay shows that we are witnessing a proper study not just some show trial.

Is the pause also less dramatic than it sounds?  You can't deinnoculate someone so presumably these guys will be followed as usual with the pause only being in the the introduction of new recruits.

It appears that the cause of this condition isn’t really that well understood but that immune system problems are thought to be a potential factor. I’m sure all the best brains will be focussed on this now, some good news at least for the poor soul involved. My guess is it’s this is just an unrelated event but of course we need to know. The anti vaccine nutters will be loving it I’m sure.

Here is the statement via the NY Times. Hopefully as you all say nothing to do with the vaccine.

AstraZeneca’s vaccine trial is put on hold

The pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca halted global trials of its coronavirus vaccine on Tuesday because of a serious and unexpected adverse reaction in a participant, the company said. The participant was enrolled in a Phase 2/3 trial based in Britain, according to a person familiar with the situation, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
Whether the illness is directly linked to AstraZeneca’s vaccine remains unclear.
The trial’s halt will allow the British-Swedish company to conduct a safety review. In a statement, AstraZeneca described the pause as a “routine action which has to happen whenever there is a potentially unexplained illness in one of the trials, while it is investigated, ensuring we maintain the integrity of the trials.”
The company’s vaccine is in Phase 2/3 trials in England and India, and in Phase 3 trials in Brazil, South Africa and more than 60 sites in the United States. The company intended for its U.S. enrollment to reach 30,000.

note that they have already had a pause in this study previous that went along less reported. Presumably its a pause in new recruits, can't imagine them pausing recieving samples and observations etc from existing recruits. Supposedly might only be a few days. Everything crossed that the poor lady had the placebo

Edited by Tetteys Jig

19 minutes ago, Van wink said:

It appears that the cause of this condition isn’t really that well understood but that immune system problems are thought to be a potential factor. I’m sure all the best brains will be focussed on this now, some good news at least for the poor soul involved. My guess is it’s this is just an unrelated event but of course we need to know. The anti vaccine nutters will be loving it I’m sure.

I wouldn't worry about the anti vaxxers. They aren't rational anyway. What this does show is the efforts that go into making sure a vaccine is safe and any side effects. Its good not bad.

Then again nobody really knows the long term effects of Covid. What bits drop off in few years ..... Many an anti vaxxer has signed up for that free trial it appears!

20 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

note that they have already had a pause in this study previous that went along less reported. Presumably its a pause in new recruits, can't imagine them pausing recieving samples and observations etc from existing recruits. Supposedly might only be a few days. Everything crossed that the poor lady had the placebo

Hi TJ

Didnt think she may have had the placebo, but not being negative you would think they would immediately check the register for this type of thing rather than putting everything on hold, but hope you are right 50 / 50 for the vaccine and placebo.

There is nothing on the Jenner website so maybe a good sign.

Pulled from that report I just posted was the analysis 

Decision on restarting trial could be days away

Analysis box by Fergus Walsh, medical correspondent

At first glance this may seem alarming. A vaccine trial - and not just any vaccine, but one receiving massive global attention - is put on hold due to a suspected serious adverse reaction. But such events are not unheard of. Indeed the Oxford team describe it as "routine". Any time a volunteer is admitted to hospital and the cause of their illness is not immediately apparent it triggers a study to be put on hold. 

This is actually the second time it has happened with the Oxford University/AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine trial since the first volunteers were immunised in April. An Oxford University spokesperson said: "In large trials, illnesses will happen by chance but must be independently reviewed to check this carefully." 

A final decision on restarting the trial will be taken by the medical regulator the MHRA, which could take only days. But until then all international vaccination sites, in the UK, Brazil, South Africa and the USA are on hold. 

The Oxford University team believe this process illustrates that they are committed to the safety of their volunteers and the highest standards of conduct in their studies.