Well b back

Come on Sarah

I wonder if governments and the WHO wish they had invested in this technology years ago. Clearly they didn’t believe the claims that you need a different type of vaccine to fight pandemics. It also shows once it is proved to work Kings College and Moderna vaccines will have little or no risk to safety. Hindsight, what a wonderful thing.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/coronavirus-vaccine-mrna

Russia launch their vaccine.

2 jabs needed ? 21 days apart ? High temperature after first jab ? Gone through clinical testing ? Easily mass produced ? Mmmmmm good news is that sound familiar where have I read about a vaccine like that before ? Sounds awfully similar to the one Mr Trump is talking about. And Russia didn’t steal our secrets ah right lol. This has to be Oxford after human challenge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53735718

Well I'm guessing they're really doing the rest of us a favour by effectively testing their vaccine on the general population.  It's simply not possible for them to have done complete testing in the timeframe.

The risk of side effects is probably very low - the chances are they've used one with a well-established safety record like the Oxford one.  But there's a big risk for them it's not that effective in practice, which undermines public faith in vaccination.  So I really hope it works for them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Well I'm guessing they're really doing the rest of us a favour by effectively testing their vaccine on the general population.  It's simply not possible for them to have done complete testing in the timeframe.

The risk of side effects is probably very low - the chances are they've used one with a well-established safety record like the Oxford one.  But there's a big risk for them it's not that effective in practice, which undermines public faith in vaccination.  So I really hope it works for them.

Hi

Yes I thought the same. If it is Oxford for us it can’t be a bad thing as we already know it’s pretty safe and if millions are now going to receive it then that should push along our phase 3. Only problem can we trust Russia to give us the true figures of the number of people vaccinated that catch it.

Surely we must know at goverment level what the vaccine is ?. 

20 hours ago, Well b back said:

Russia launch their vaccine.

2 jabs needed ? 21 days apart ? High temperature after first jab ? Gone through clinical testing ? Easily mass produced ? Mmmmmm good news is that sound familiar where have I read about a vaccine like that before ? Sounds awfully similar to the one Mr Trump is talking about. And Russia didn’t steal our secrets ah right lol. This has to be Oxford after human challenge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53735718

I said as much three weeks ago, WBB, but this stealing isn’t quite right as the info on the vaccine is known throughout the scientific world. The Russians as normal are fast tracking it as they’ve developed the vaccine copied from the Oxford studies, their stage three is our stage 4 a gamble.

Just a heads up, GSK are moving forward in trying to speed up the process of stage three results as pressures being applied by government to vaccinate those at risk before the winter. We might well see first vaccines end of September, early October if the results are positive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

I said as much three weeks ago, WBB, but this stealing isn’t quite right as the info on the vaccine is known throughout the scientific world. The Russians as normal are fast tracking it as they’ve developed the vaccine copied from the Oxford studies, their stage three is our stage 4 a gamble.

Just a heads up, GSK are moving forward in trying to speed up the process of stage three results as pressures being applied by government to vaccinate those at risk before the winter. We might well see first vaccines end of September, early October if the results are positive.

Do in effect the full 'blueprint' is shared?    Seems remarkable that a company would do this even in the current circumstances 

7 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Do in effect the full 'blueprint' is shared?    Seems remarkable that a company would do this even in the current circumstances 

I don’t fully know, I get snippets as my brother in law is a toxicologist, a mutual friend in GSK says bits , there was a big movement from March to share the information as this was so critical to everyone going different studies, the Chinese government was very quick and open with their knowledge of the virus giving the scientific community a good starting point.

Thats as much as I know but the Oxford vaccine has been used in studies in lot of different countries now.

Yes this wasn’t a commercial war to start with the serious nature of this means this was a totally different set of research goals. That’s why I get so peed off with two bit scientists trying to get their mugs on the news stating about being cautious and vaccines not fully working when they have no direct connections.

Edited by Indy

On 12/08/2020 at 17:01, Indy said:

Agreed

Watching all the latest reports it does seem that the thought ( since September was ruled out ) would be mid October. I can’t remember the link now but about 2 weeks ago 2 US papers were reporting that Oxford had the 38 infections they needed. Now assuming that was correct ( I think by now we have learnt to trust these early reports from abroad ) this does coincide with AstraZeneca and Mr Trump suddenly travelling at more than warp speed.

I am beginning to suspect the last chapter in this thread is not more than a few weeks away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

that comments section is fun viewing! Makes our forum look like we're all PhD level professors! Shame we can't just let natural selection take the anti vaxxers really...

Lol Did you see the link on here about a week ago where the Morri poll had 30% of anti vaxers under 25 saying that they wouldn’t have the vaccine as they suspected it was actually something administered by governments to control you.

15 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Lol Did you see the link on here about a week ago where the Morri poll had 30% of anti vaxers under 25 saying that they wouldn’t have the vaccine as they suspected it was actually something administered by governments to control you.

Well.it is.  Its administered by government to control their spreading of the disease to people that might die..

• Haha 1

How the U.K. press and the foreign press differ. Here we have the weekly NY Times tracker which as you will see now has 2 Approved and 8 in phase 3 trials. I have put this week as a comparison a U.K. tracker, which you will note is where NY were about 3 weeks ago ie 0 approved and 7 in phase 3. Coming U.K. journalists keep up.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2020/aug/16/covid-vaccine-tracker-when-will-we-have-a-coronavirus-vaccine

• Thanks 2

Here is an interesting article that actually contradicts itself. It aims at telling us there will be no vaccine until mid 2021, however those quotes seem to be ones from months ago. Then in its summing up there are 3 which are close to being released soon. Didn’t realise Russia had offered to share their results with the US and Trump turned it down ? How strange at least you could have looked into it. Also it mentions another one ( can’t remember which one ) looking for FDA approval in October.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/will-we-get-a-coronavirus-vaccine-by-2021-everything-you-need-to-know/

Here is my latest bit of investigative journalism lol. Read between the lines what you will but this was buried away. If Greece are getting it then we must be getting it earlier so that ties in ( I apologise to who told us ) with whoever told us it has moved to mass production. Do they have tentative results already ?

• Greece expects to receive a first batch of Covid-19 vaccines in December, under an EU deal envisaging three million doses in total for Greece. But the vaccine developed by Oxford University and AstraZeneca still has to pass phase four of clinical trials in November

16 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Here is my latest bit of investigative journalism lol. Read between the lines what you will but this was buried away. If Greece are getting it then we must be getting it earlier so that ties in ( I apologise to who told us ) with whoever told us it has moved to mass production. Do they have tentative results already ?

• Greece expects to receive a first batch of Covid-19 vaccines in December, under an EU deal envisaging three million doses in total for Greece. But the vaccine developed by Oxford University and AstraZeneca still has to pass phase four of clinical trials in November

Hang on.  Phase 4 comes after licencing.  So this article implies it will be licenced ahead of November.

You could also read the mention of phase 4 as implying phase 3 has already been satisfied. If phase 3 had not been satisfied surely it would read 'still has to pass phase 3 of clinical trials'.

And at this point I find myself reaching for the tim foil hat so I will shut up

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Hang on.  Phase 4 comes after licencing.  So this article implies it will be licenced ahead of November.

You could also read the mention of phase 4 as implying phase 3 has already been satisfied. If phase 3 had not been satisfied surely it would read 'still has to pass phase 3 of clinical trials'.

I agree exactly how I read it, but as you know I try to remain neutral.

This all coincides with the things on here over the last 3 weeks. Firstly there were reports that enough people on the Oxford trial had caught it, then I forget who it is on here that kindly gives us updates on the manufacture from inside ( is it GKE manufacturing ) who said it has gone into fuller production, the same person also reported the Government want lots vaccinated before winter. Then we have the NHS yesterday begging for more volunteers ( which I understood as I am already registered ) is phase 4 mass inoculations before it goes completely out. Again why would they be begging for more volunteers without being fairly certain.

One last thing I find relevant is on the Jenner website there has not been a mention of the vaccine for over 2 weeks when previously it was daily.

I am beginning to believe there is more evidence that it works. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

Just to follow up I have a friend who works in a chemist. He has told me that unless there is something different about this particular drug, if it does not work it will cost even more to dispose of it safely than it would to buy it ( based on costs already given be AstraZeneca ). Didn’t think the likes of Greece had millions to burn ?

We may be at the point now that the next information released about the Oxford vaccine will affect the Astra share price, meaning they need to get all their ducks in a row before they say anything more.  That would be consistent with the twitter feed clamming up.

So fingers crossed, they're evaluating the results before they can publish anything.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Well b back said:

I agree exactly how I read it, but as you know I try to remain neutral.

This all coincides with the things on here over the last 3 weeks. Firstly there were reports that enough people on the Oxford trial had caught it, then I forget who it is on here that kindly gives us updates on the manufacture from inside ( is it GKE manufacturing ) who said it has gone into fuller production, the same person also reported the Government want lots vaccinated before winter. Then we have the NHS yesterday begging for more volunteers ( which I understood as I am already registered ) is phase 4 mass inoculations before it goes completely out. Again why would they be begging for more volunteers without being fairly certain.

One last thing I find relevant is on the Jenner website there has not been a mention of the vaccine for over 2 weeks when previously it was daily.

I am beginning to believe there is more evidence that it works. 

WBB, thought of this thread when coming across this from This Week. Seems a bit of a two horse race?

https://www.theweek.co.uk/coronavirus/107829/england-and-germany-neck-and-neck-in-coronavirus-vaccine-race?

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, sonyc said:

WBB, thought of this thread when coming across this from This Week. Seems a bit of a two horse race?

https://www.theweek.co.uk/coronavirus/107829/england-and-germany-neck-and-neck-in-coronavirus-vaccine-race?

Brilliant thanks.

Thats who I was trying to remember the other Pfizer. This falls in line with press reports suggesting October could be the time.

Interesting as well in that this article says Russia have not released any evidence, however, interestingly, the one I put on earlier claims this was offered to Trump and he declined, which seems bizarre as who knows wether this has done the right trials.

People think I am mad when I say don’t worry there will be a vaccine by November, but as time has gone on it seems more and more that stuff is being ‘ not mentioned ‘ in the U.K.. 

• Like 1

I am tempted to ask bookmakers what odds they would give on a vaccine being ready by X. Going by what has happened over the last couple of months especially, I am sure we will know at least 2 weeks before any major announcement in the U.K..

• Haha 1

The issue for phase 4 is that the trials thus far have been focused on fit age group under 55, there’s a massive push for older groups to come forwards now for trials. The most vulnerable groups have not been covered by the trials up to now. The more info we get in the next five - six weeks will determine the speed at which any vaccine is fit for use. The dose and spread needs to be determined.

But it’s certainly looking very positive from various areas and vaccines.

Edited by Indy

On 02/08/2020 at 20:26, Indy said:

It is no doubt based or exactly the Oxford vaccine, the hacking story was overreaction by those who want their fame, as numerous labs around the world have had an open findings policy to ensure knowledge is shared.

What must be remembered Russian testing will be more of a you will be involved not would you like to be involved and the high numbers of infections there makes it easier to do phase three testing!

Lastly as here it’s not going to be used till October as even the Russian are not willing to risk any long term risk by the vaccine and as they are mass producing it, they are still processing the results.

No bad thing as the data will be good info to the rest of the labs round the world.

Suggestions the Russian vaccine is effecting the immune system and causing enlargement of lymph nodes

image.thumb.png.f1cd0db2229b0d85012150055023fd14.png

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Well b back said:

People think I am mad when I say don’t worry there will be a vaccine by November, but as time has gone on it seems more and more that stuff is being ‘ not mentioned ‘ in the U.K.. 

Had the exact same thing when I've said this to people as well and I work in the industry...

The main problem I envisage is distributing it to the people that need it most and how the govt go about that.

I think a significant amount of the public will also be permanently scarred into living a more socially distanced life as well even with the vaccine circulated. Its gonna be a tough job for the govt to convince people that things are 100% safe to go back to "normal"

• Like 1