Well b back

Come on Sarah

9 hours ago, Well b back said:

And even more wow now Europe sign up for 300 million vaccines. What do they all know that they are not letting on. If I have counted up right there are now over 2 billion doses being made. This article no longer says the vaccine will be given out when it is proven this article says it will be ready for when it’s approved.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/06/13/coronavirus-vaccine-europe-s-inclusive-vaccines-alliance-strikes-giant-agreement-with-astr

Yes, I saw that from a different source. They seem very confident don't they. Of course, it may just be that this is the current leading vaccine and, if it is approved, they want to make sure it is available to them as soon as possible but you would imagine they must have some confidence in it.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark .Y. said:

Yes, I saw that from a different source. They seem very confident don't they. Of course, it may just be that this is the current leading vaccine and, if it is approved, they want to make sure it is available to them as soon as possible but you would imagine they must have some confidence in it.  

Indeed, I’ve been talking to my brother in law who first told me how vaccines are normally put into production well in advance of testing being completed. The first phase normally gives the science behind the vaccine to say it’ll work, after that it’s all about side effects and long term requirements how it works in different social groups, then cost is evaluated against the market requirements. Obviously this time it’s not about the cost and shortcuts are being taken as the vaccine is based on previous testing so confidence that no side effects are already in place and we’re in phase three, learning how to treat each social group.

Like I said to Ricardo, we’d have a vaccine by Autumn/ end of the year and it would appear that might well be the case. Fingers crossed, it would be the best news, along with our escape from relegation! 👍💚💛

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven't read this thread, but just wanted to point out that there must be a better thread title - Everytime I spot it I cringe a little. Poor Sarah.

15 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Haven't read this thread, but just wanted to point out that there must be a better thread title - Everytime I spot it I cringe a little. Poor Sarah.

Well, I once knew a Sarah who........................................ 😉

• Haha 1

Yes, must admit, till just now, not really thought how the title read! Almost as bad as the Beatles song now being used! Come together..right now...over me!!

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes, must admit, till just now, not really thought how the title read! Almost as bad as the Beatles song now being used! Come together..right now...over me!!

I'm out of reactions but I giggled

13 hours ago, Mark .Y. said:

Yep

Unless I have read several articles wrong they are no longer waiting for indications that it works, they have begun to produce 2 billion + doses. Didn’t one of the earlier quotes give a cost of around £2 or $2 per dose to be manufactured ? We were talking about 10’s of millions of £ being thrown down the drain now it’s several billion £.

And today Imperial College London begin their human trials. Interesting that they are saying the early vaccines to protect us will not stop you catching it, but stop you getting the bad parts, as that was the reason the US in particular were giving that the Oxford vaccine did not work. See although this is being reported around the world BBC haven’t quite caught up yet.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/16/coronavirus-vaccine-trial-by-imperial-college-london-begins

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-imperial-college-to-begin-human-trials-for-covid-19-vaccine-12007613

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

NY times link is a really good overview thanks. Recommended reading for anyone with an interest in this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Wow if they don’t know wether it works how do they know it will keep you immune for a year. Looks more and more likely this vaccine will be ready by September.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-oxford-university-vaccine-to-provide-protection-for-about-a-year-says-drugmaker-12007789

Interesting that clinical trials are taking place in parallel with the development . They must have some confidence.

And human challenge gets closer, 28,000 now signed up to one day sooner

https://www.timesnownews.com/health/article/challenge-trial-volunteers-put-their-lives-at-risk-for-covid-19-vaccine/607114

Some of those signing up

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/meet-people-volunteering-to-be-exposed-to-covid-19-for-vaccine-research

And finally for tonight this ( if you have time to read it ) are the conditions laid down by WHO to make human challenge a reality.

https://www.who.int/ethics/publications/key-criteria-ethical-acceptability-of-covid-19-human-challenge/en/

On 21/04/2020 at 21:41, Well b back said:

A name probably none of us would have heard of 2 weeks ago, Sarah Gilbert, could be about to change history, should her vaccine work. Human trials start on Thursday. I for one will be praying that she becomes one of the most famous people in modern history.

Thanks for this thread of positivity during this rough old time. 👍

Here is an interview with Sarah that explains everything. It confirms they are already producing the vaccine in massive quantities. Anyone who has been following this thread this is a must, but you need a good 20 minutes.

• Thanks 1

An interesting read about potential relationships between outcomes from infection, obesity and blood glucose levels:-

Taking a closer look at the link between COVID and obesity

Data from our COVID symptom study has confirmed that people who are very overweight are more likely to suffer the dangerous effects of coronavirus. 

"What we see with COVID is that people with obesity are at much higher risk than people with conditions like asthma. That is not what you see with things like flu, so that is a bit surprising," says Ana. 

Ana thinks that how our blood sugar levels change after eating might be vital to understanding why some people have dysfunction immune responses to the virus, resulting in severe inflammation and life-threatening symptoms. Our PREDICT study showed that even identical twins, who share 100 per cent of their genes, can have very different nutritional responses, potentially explaining some of the reason why people can also have different responses to coronavirus infection.

“This virus and other coronaviruses such as SARS and MERS interact with the immune system in a way that puts people who have a particular type of nutritional response to glucose at a much higher risk because they do not mount an effective immune reaction against the virus,” Ana explains.

A study of patients in Wuhan, China, showed that patients’ blood sugar levels when they arrived in hospital with COVID-19 predicted how likely to die from the disease, with people with the highest blood sugar levels being most at risk.

Further data from the US also shows a link between high blood sugar levels, inflammatory responses to COVID-19, and disease progression in patients both with and without diabetes.

“That is telling us a lot because it means that glucose is a key component to the immune response that the body mounts against COVID-19,” she adds.

How your blood sugar impacts your response to COVID 

So what might be going on here?

“Normally, a healthy cell uses oxygen to transform glucose into energy,” Ana explains. “It's a very efficient process called aerobic respiration.”

Sometimes, if your blood sugar levels are high for a long time, you can begin to suffer from inflammation. Your cells can start converting glucose using an inefficient, anaerobic method. 

"This high glucose, anaerobic state can make your immune cells respond in an inflammatory way,” says Ana.  

For your immune system to function correctly and protect your body from viruses like SARS-CoV-2, it must strike a balance between inflammatory immune responses that help to protect and heal and anti-inflammatory responses that keep a lid on potentially dangerous overreactions.

Research suggests that high blood sugar levels can increase the number of inflammatory immune cells and suppress the anti-inflammatory cells, throwing the immune system out of balance. Too many inflammatory immune cells can result in a cytokine storm, an out-of-control immune overreaction that has been seen in many people who have died with COVID-19. 

Several studies have also shown that people of BAME (black, Asian, and minority ethnic) descent are at increased risk of the deadly effects of COVID-19

Ana believes that this may be due to differences in glucose metabolism between different ethnicities. For example, African Americans are 60 per cent more likely to be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes than non-Hispanic white people. And people from South Asian communities are up to 6 times more likely to have diabetes than the general population.

Using data to understand the relationship between blood sugar and immune response

Although unhealthy blood sugar responses are associated with being overweight, Ana explains that you could still have unhealthy metabolic responses and be at increased risk from COVID, even if you are at a healthy weight. 

It’s all about how you, as an individual, respond to food, which depends on a range of factors, including what you eat, our gut microbes, the time of day, your activity and more. 

For the past three years, our team at ZOE  have researching nutritional responses to sugar and fat in our PREDICT studies. Ana is now using our data to understand more about the relationship between sugar metabolism, immune responses, and COVID-19. 

“There is scope to investigate how diet can modulate immune responses and how we can use diet to improve the immune system. It's not like you have to lose a certain number of pounds to be in better shape to fight the virus. It is about whether you can make dietary choices that will put your immune system in a better position to fight the virus,” Ana explains.

The bitter truth about blood sugar, weight and COVID-19

• Data from our COVID Symptom Studyhas highlighted a link between obesity and severe symptoms of COVID-19. 
  • Our scientists believe that some of the links between obesity and increased risk from COVID-19 may be related to how our bodies process glucose (sugar). 
  • High blood glucose levels have been associated with inflammation and harmful immune responses, similar to those seen in people with serious COVID-19.
  • We are combining our data from our COVID Symptom Study and PREDICT, the largest study of nutritional responses in the world, to understand more about the connections between diet, health, inflammation and COVID-19.
  • Our experts believe that healthy food choices that are right for your personal metabolism can improve your blood sugar responses, help your immune system to function correctly, and potentially reduce your risk from COVID-19. 
  • Thanks 3

A slight delay from previous claims as I recall, come on Sarah!

Telegraph

The Oxford vaccine against coronavirus will not be ready to be rolled out until October, researchers have said.
There were hopes the vaccine could be in use by September if human trials continue to be successful, and drugs company AstraZeneca is ready to quickly produce 30 million vaccines.
But Professor Adrian Hill, the director of the Jenner Institute at the University of Oxford, told a webinar of the Spanish Society of Rheumatology that the "best scenario" would see results from clinical trials in August and September and deliveries from October. 
The delay means Britain will be edging closer to the winter flu season and the possibility of a second coronavirus peak without a vaccine. 
"This vaccine has shown very good results in trials with chimpanzees, and has already moved on to the next phase of human trials," Prof Hill told the webinar.
"One of its advantages at the beginning was to demonstrate in previous tests that similar inoculations, including one last year against a previous coronavirus, were harmless to humans”

Although it is not yet known how long the vaccine would last, it is thought likely to be needed annually, like the flu jab, because a slightly different version of the virus may come seasonally. 
Last month, Alok Sharma, the Business Secretary, said Britain would be the first country in the world to get a vaccine should trials be successful, and announced an extra £84 million in funding to accelerate research.
The Oxford vaccine is currently furthest along in human trials of all the vaccines in development, and Professor Sara Gilbert, leading the research, predicted that it could be ready by the early autumn.
Speaking earlier this month, Prof Gilbert said the trials may need to move to other countries because infection rates were now so low in Britain that it was hard to know if the vaccine was working. 
"We had hoped to have enough people vaccinated before the outbreak reached a peak, but the virus spread rapidly, triggering a lockdown, and rates of infections are now falling," she told United Nations ambassadors. "Unless some of the trial participants do become infected, we cannot know that the vaccine is effective.
"We are thus focusing on vaccinating healthcare workers, as they have the highest rates of virus infections. Further, as measures to ease the lockdown are being introduced, transmission may rise again.
"We need to manufacture more vaccine for the trials, and plan to start trials in more than one country to give ourselves the best chance of determining vaccine efficacy."
The UK's first Vaccines Manufacturing Innovation Centre in Harwell, Oxfordshire, will be operational by next summer, and able to produce enough vaccines for the whole population within six months.

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all

I have seen a number of reports including mentions on Jenners twitter, that the Oxford Vaccine is likely to be highly effective with a double dose.

I see yesterday this and the other U.K. vaccines were mentioned in the press conference in a positive way. I get more confident by the day that this vaccine works and hopefully soon it can go for approval.