Sign in to follow this  
Just Dan

Erdivisie won't finish

Interesting comments from Rory

World number one McIlroy said: "A Ryder Cup without fans is not a Ryder Cup."

He added: "It wouldn't be a great spectacle, there'd be no atmosphere, so if it came to whether they had to choose between not playing the event or playing it without fans, I would say just delay it a year and play it in 2021."

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Looking at the above two posts, given Essjayess premise which I think is fair that football probably won't start until August 21 - there could though - if conditions allow it - be a window of opportunity to play football earlier perhaps in March/April.   If so, it could be a sensible solution to finish this season almost exactly a year late, in March/April 21.   I get that it will be problematic in many ways but I still think it ought to be an option. What better than using the time to settle key promotion/relegation issues which would allow for a smoother transition into the next season?   It is uncertain what the timescale would be so why is there a need to take out of the equation something that could work and that would make good logical sense? 

Trouble is Lakey, whilst I don’t disagree, is just how many clubs will there be left to form some sort of league. There is little doubt that from the bottom to the top of the professional game, some clubs are going (to have to) fold. It can only work if the league clubs involved are still solvent.

Perhaps a solution might be to postpone all remaining games and restart the season in one form or another during what would have been the 20/21 season, using what time remains in that season to play out a bespoke season (extended cups, regional mini leagues etc). Recommence properly in summer 2021 as planned

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Looking at the above two posts, given Essjayess premise which I think is fair that football probably won't start until August 21 - there could though - if conditions allow it - be a window of opportunity to play football earlier perhaps in March/April.   If so, it could be a sensible solution to finish this season almost exactly a year late, in March/April 21.   I get that it will be problematic in many ways but I still think it ought to be an option. What better than using the time to settle key promotion/relegation issues which would allow for a smoother transition into the next season?   It is uncertain what the timescale would be so why is there a need to take out of the equation something that could work and that would make good logical sense? 

To answer your specific point about recommencing the season next year, thats a non starter imo, particularly from the point of view of broadcasters who are always looking to bring something new, fresh and innovative. The time gap will be far too large, people will want to move on from what has happened this year and the whole thing will be relaunched as something new. 

2 hours ago, JF said:

Don’t see that making any difference. Different countries are at different positions and it will come down to what the measures in place from government are 

PL teams recommencing training from 9th May, it seems.

6 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Yes maybe. Again totally irrelevant as the Dutch players who cant play until September are allowed to train from May. As I said it will come down to governments and scientific advisors 

Edited by JF

This all comes to the soundtrack of the can being kicked down the road, again. I think the time between now and aug 21 should be used for completing this seasons leagues and cups, hopefully euros in summer 21.  There are no easy solutions and too much procrastination will cause more damage to more clubs. Make a decision, far enough ahead of time, financial planning to assist clubs to get through to the restart point,  then, in the words of the immortal Paul Lamberk, we go again. Not ideal but there are more pressing issues than footy to get sorted first.

To FIFA,UEFA and the FA......TAKE A SHOITE OR GET OFF THE POTTY!!!!

34 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Only if our  Govt left social distancing rules, and I do not see that happening at all.

These people who are clinging on to the EPL make me laugh. Can they really not see that they are just pathetic now. It's almost like when Mum said I had to go to bed when I had drunk my Cocoa. I sipped it so minutely so it would take a long time. But she sussed it out by making it 15 minutes earlier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

These people who are clinging on to the EPL make me laugh. Can they really not see that they are just pathetic now. It's almost like when Mum said I had to go to bed when I had drunk my Cocoa. I sipped it so minutely so it would take a long time. But she sussed it out by making it 15 minutes earlier.

I'm glad you're amused. I'm quite amused that so many people on here still think it's going to be null and void - that was never likely; too much money involved. They really have no choice but to try and complete the season up to a point when it becomes impossible - but no one actually knows when that point is until European governments make the call. Or, of course, until clubs run out of cash and go pop.

You can try to forecast all kinds of things or ridicule people who are "pathetic" in your eyes - but try to stay with the facts before chucking insults around. The only fact at the moment is that, as things stand, training recommences in May ready for a behind closed doors completion.

30 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I'm glad you're amused. I'm quite amused that so many people on here still think it's going to be null and void - that was never likely; too much money involved. They really have no choice but to try and complete the season up to a point when it becomes impossible - but no one actually knows when that point is until European governments make the call. Or, of course, until clubs run out of cash and go pop.

You can try to forecast all kinds of things or ridicule people who are "pathetic" in your eyes - but try to stay with the facts before chucking insults around. The only fact at the moment is that, as things stand, training recommences in May ready for a behind closed doors completion.

If it does commence in May sg, then it will have constraints associated with social distancing, not the kind of  close season  training clubs run in a normal times. Chris Whitty made it clear and simple to understand today..the virus can only be seriously controlled with high effective vaccine or drugs...and he said the chances of that happening  by end of year are incredibly small...until  that high effective vaccine / drug  comes along social distancing is here to stay. To play any contact sport...we are talking football here...with or without a crowd...while social distancing is still so absolutely important...would be a mockery and a fantasy.

Edited by Essjayess
spelling correction

12 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

If it does commence in May sg, then it will have constraints associated with social distancing, not the kind of  close season  training clubs run in a normal times. Chris Whitty made it clear and simple to understand today..the virus can only be seriously controlled with high effective vaccine or drugs...and he said the chances of that happening  by end of year are incredibly small...until  that high effective vaccine / drug  comes along social distancing is here to stay. To play any contact sport...we are talking football here...with or without a crowd...while social distancing is still so absolutely important...would be a mockery and a fantasy.

Yes  and I also took notice of the point he made that when things are lifted, there is only so much that can lift at one time and they don’t have a lot of leeway to play with, So it will be a case of a few restrictions lifted to try and get some level of normality back but don’t expect much. Where sports and football sit in the scheme of restrictions being lifted is anyone’s guess but I doubt it’s anywhere near a priority.

Edited by JF

Also in Holland the restrictions placed on footballers are exactly the same as those placed on school children, they can both train in sports teams with social distancing but can’t play the matches. If restrictions are lifted here so football can be played by pros then I expect those restrictions to be the same for ALL levels of football

Edited by JF

Obviously we all have to wait and see whether social distancing will be relaxed in time for matches to proceed from the June date proposed, but I would assume that there is some lobbying and discussion going on behind the scenes with various European governments - Germany are due to begin first so we will know more in early May.

Maybe I'm giving UEFA and the EPL too much credit, but I can't believe that their lobbyists are not getting some kind of "heads up" from government advisers. That's the way the system works and until the government comes out and says "no football" they will keep planning.

6 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Obviously we all have to wait and see whether social distancing will be relaxed in time for matches to proceed from the June date proposed, but I would assume that there is some lobbying and discussion going on behind the scenes with various European governments - Germany are due to begin first so we will know more in early May.

Maybe I'm giving UEFA and the EPL too much credit, but I can't believe that their lobbyists are not getting some kind of "heads up" from government advisers. That's the way the system works and until the government comes out and says "no football" they will keep planning.

Yes it’s been said that they have been in contact with them and everything is based on best case scenarios. It will, and always has been the case be a government decision. Several journalists on twitter are suggesting that the league will be cancelled on a ppg standing with no relegation from the PL and possibly if next years calendar can’t fit the extra teams no promotion 

Edited by JF

Have to say I find the whole thing quite fascinating in terms of a decision making process. Things are changing and can still change dramatically over a couple of days and whoever is planning anything has to deal with dozens of potential scenarios. My position has always been that "null and void" has to be the very last option of all those available, simply because of the money at risk.

Lots of nonsense being spouted on here.

to play a game behind closed doors would require less people than the average food processing factory has.

Players etc will be routinely tested

Talking of voiding the season is nonsense, as without the remaining money clubs below the PL will simply fold....right down the chain

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Have to say I find the whole thing quite fascinating in terms of a decision making process. Things are changing and can still change dramatically over a couple of days and whoever is planning anything has to deal with dozens of potential scenarios. My position has always been that "null and void" has to be the very last option of all those available, simply because of the money at risk.

Uefa’s announcement today suggests that if leagues want their European league places the null and void isn’t an option, they have also now outlined criteria that is acceptable to cancel the season!! Government advise and finances that put the league structure at risk are acceptable! Scotland PL is now expected to cancel following this advise. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/23/uefa-european-leagues-to-determine-placings-on-sporting-merit

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

Lots of nonsense being spouted on here.

to play a game behind closed doors would require less people than the average food processing factory has.

Players etc will be routinely tested

Talking of voiding the season is nonsense, as without the remaining money clubs below the PL will simply fold....right down the chain

Clearly you have inside knowledge on what the future government restrictions will be and their position on football resuming? Do share as the whole footballing world would like to know? 

10 minutes ago, JF said:

Clearly you have inside knowledge on what the future government restrictions will be and their position on football resuming? Do share as the whole footballing world would like to know? 

Yes, what are your tea leaves telling you today Gibberwocky Bilious?

Season cancelled with no promotion from the league below and no relegation. 

16 clubs voted for Eredivisie promotion and relegation

9 clubs voted against promotion and relegation 

9 clubs abstained saying the Dutch FA (KNVB) should decide

So the KNVB did decide, and scrapped promotion and relegation

Edited by JF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Also no champions but the positions stand as they are to decide Europe qualifying positions 

Edited by JF

Interesting. I wonder how many abstentions there would be if the EPL and EFL were to vote?

So the Dutch ignoring the Germans. No surprise there!

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Interesting. I wonder how many abstentions there would be if the EPL and EFL were to vote?

So the Dutch ignoring the Germans. No surprise there!

EPL and EFL are different entities so I believe if it went to a vote at PL level it would just be the PL clubs voting on promotion/relegation 

All the football authorities in each European nation are on a necessary wait and see approach...even Germany as of now...and lets remember, Germany are streets ahead of the UK  in this whole Coronavirus saga as regards tackling it. So far only two nations have acted on any decision, Belgium and Netherlands and both of those have their current seasons ended.

There are many different stages that individual European nations are at as regards the virus and the UK is  pretty much furthest behind most as regards time, peaks and troughs etc etc...768 reported deaths today suggest football here is still a very very long way away from being played  in any shape or form.

On 21/04/2020 at 21:23, JF said:

Wouldn’t get your hopes up as this is the advice of their chief science advisors. Ours were quite happy to allow 250,000 turn up to Cheltenham...🙄

On the basis that Chris Witty had already stated “the risk to the UK is low”.

Of course both he and this Govt now know that wasn’t the case!

26 minutes ago, JF said:

EPL and EFL are different entities so I believe if it went to a vote at PL level it would just be the PL clubs voting on promotion/relegation 

The Dutch FA took the decision on no promotion or relegation. The clubs voted but a decision was not forthcoming, so their FA took the decision.

2 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

The Dutch FA took the decision on no promotion or relegation. The clubs voted but a decision was not forthcoming, so their FA took the decision.

See my post above on the voting process 

Edited by JF
  • Thanks 1