Sign in to follow this  
Just Dan

Erdivisie won't finish

By government order on the advice of its science advisors. No professional matches at all until September 1st. Clubs are meeting Friday to decide how they will conclude the season, ridiculously tight with Ajax and Az level at the top with only goal difference separating them 

Even one country doing it sends a very big signal to both UEFA and other countries.  Lives are more important.  

Well done the Dutch.  This allows clubs to plan for the future with a little more certainty.  It the indecision that will send many clubs to the wall over here.

• Like 1

Unless they really play behind closed doors really can’t see any football until there is a vaccine or at least a proven treatment.

Just now, Just Dan said:

Even one country doing it sends a very big signal to both UEFA and other countries.  Lives are more important.  

Well done the Dutch.  This allows clubs to plan for the future with a little more certainty.  It the indecision that will send many clubs to the wall over here.

Wouldn’t get your hopes up as this is the advice of their chief science advisors. Ours were quite happy to allow 250,000 turn up to Cheltenham...🙄

This is moving fast, Ireland, based on scientific advice have just announced a ban on large gatherings till at least September.

Inevitable that ours will follow suit, they have taken the flak and won’t want to risk more coming their way. All that’s left to decide is how it finishes and if we’re going to get attempted to be pushed out of the league on points per game. Several hundred millions of pounds of law suits coming the PL’s way from the bottom 3 if they try that

12 minutes ago, Well b back said:

This is moving fast, Ireland, based on scientific advice have just announced a ban on large gatherings till at least September.

Yep, gatherings of more than 5000 out of the question until end of Aug,. This destroys the GAA Football and Hurling  seasons.... a very big move by the unformed govt.  May not have happened had a single party been in charge...too unpopular,  but I feel necessary. 

Just to make sure I’m not missing something, there isn’t actually anything that says the “Eridivisie won’t finish” yet? This season could still finish but only after 1st September?

4 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Just to make sure I’m not missing something, there isn’t actually anything that says the “Eridivisie won’t finish” yet? This season could still finish but only after 1st September?

It says " intends not to continue 2019/20 season"

Seems clear enough.

14 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It says " intends not to continue 2019/20 season"

Seems clear enough.

What does?

8 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Yep, gatherings of more than 5000 out of the question until end of Aug,.

So if The Scum played in Holland they could at least play their home games then

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Not even that MP, it clearly says the Dutch football association says matches  cannot be played even without an audience..so with the Dutch having to follow Belgium its clear that the snowball effect will gather pace now.  I always thought that the football organisations in charge, threatening any nations not finishing the season to not be allowed into European tournaments next year was so stupid..they seemed blinded by the financial aspects maybe than open their eyes to see that this virus will have long term implications not to just the current season but  next season to.

From weeks ago it was clear to me that football, like most other sports, is done for this year and i cant see any prospect  of it starting at least until  Aug / Sept 2021 at the earliest.

There will still be a few  fantasists  who recon we will complete this season, it’s never been a realistic prospect.

50 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

From weeks ago it was clear to me that football, like most other sports, is done for this year and i cant see any prospect  of it starting at least until  Aug / Sept 2021 at the earliest.

39 minutes ago, Van wink said:

There will still be a few  fantasists  who recon we will complete this season, it’s never been a realistic prospect.

Looking at the above two posts, given Essjayess premise which I think is fair that football probably won't start until August 21 - there could though - if conditions allow it - be a window of opportunity to play football earlier perhaps in March/April.   If so, it could be a sensible solution to finish this season almost exactly a year late, in March/April 21.   I get that it will be problematic in many ways but I still think it ought to be an option. What better than using the time to settle key promotion/relegation issues which would allow for a smoother transition into the next season?   It is uncertain what the timescale would be so why is there a need to take out of the equation something that could work and that would make good logical sense? 

3 hours ago, Making Plans said:

I'm in Ireland Planso. League of ireland play summer footy.  So that's fecked.  Mind you,  not many teams get above 5000 regularly. But when you think that the Gaelic footy and hurling often  get 80,000 to a semi final, theres serious disruption to the national sports here. Big commitment by the non Gov't.  

I'm still incredulous that Cheltenham  went ahead. 

12 hours ago, ricardo said:

Premier gradually becoming isolated.

You are right this is snow balling. Germany have now announced no mass gatherings till near November

The only way this PL season will finish is if next season doesn't happen at all. That would be more costly that abandoning this season.

Minister president of Bavaria who makes the decisions as Germany is a federal state and is generally conservative about lifting restrictions is positive about closed door games happening in Germany. so likely to happen there depending on how virus develops. 

Uefa on the verge of withdraing its ill-thought-out threat to ban leagues that cancel from next season's (???????) European club competitions.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

Uefa on the verge of withdraing its ill-thought-out threat to ban leagues that cancel from next season's (???????) European club competitions.

Colour me shocked and stunned.

Edited by ricardo

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

If so, it could be a sensible solution to finish this season almost exactly a year late, in March/April 21.   I get that it will be problematic in many ways but I still think it ought to be an option. What better than using the time to settle key promotion/relegation issues which would allow for a smoother transition into the next season?   It is uncertain what the timescale would be so why is there a need to take out of the equation something that could work and that would make good logical sense? 

59 minutes ago, duke63 said:

The only way this PL season will finish is if next season doesn't happen at all. That would be more costly that abandoning this season.

Thought for sometime this was a possible outcome, and certainly not worth discounting until such time as we know where the virus has left us.

Completing by June 30 always looked a non-starter but does anyone really think next season can kick-off in August/September and complete in time to play the postponed Euros.

For me, whatever happens 2020/2021 is unlikely to be a "normal" season either.

Bundesliga is still planning to restart in mid-May and complete all games behind closed doors by June 30 - if one of the big 4 leagues does it then the others will follow.

If I was a betting man, my £1 would still be on completing the season, as it always has been.

12 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Bundesliga is still planning to restart in mid-May and complete all games behind closed doors by June 30 - if one of the big 4 leagues does it then the others will follow.

If I was a betting man, my £1 would still be on completing the season, as it always has been.

Don’t see that making any difference. Different countries are at different positions and it will come down to what the measures in place from government are