Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

R.I.P. Bite Yer Legs Norman.

Sad news, he was as hard as nails though.

mind you, he fitted well into that Leeds team, saw him several times against City in the 70's. They took no prisoners.

17 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Sad news, he was as hard as nails though.

mind you, he fitted well into that Leeds team, saw him several times against City in the 70's. They took no prisoners.

OMG they were the most professional team I've ever watched - and not in a good way.

The first time we played them at home in the First Division we were on top and Allan Clark fell like a dying Swan at our end off the ball and took about 5 minutes of treatment to help them reorganise. We held them 1-1 but on the day we should have won.

• Like 1

I used to watch that team (albeit limited TV) but am still amazed I can remember (just about) all 11 starters. That says quite a lot I think for a team of 50 years ago... especially one you didn't support.

Always got a bit of stick for that goal against Poland but nobody ever criticises Shilton for letting the ball under his body.

And at least they did hit each other then, not the handbags we get now.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Always got a bit of stick for that goal against Poland but nobody ever criticises Shilton for letting the ball under his body.

Proper football Kg.

Reminds me of one Kevin K and his right hander.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

You wouldn't get fights like that nowadays - these days as soon as a punch is thrown, the other person goes down like a sack of potatoes in an act of amateur dramatics to get the other player sent off. 

I have a vague Norwich City memory to share. I was on Holiday and staying in the same hotel as Neil Bennett son of Albert. We chatted a lot about football and Neil told me that he went to "an evening with Norman Hunter" and decided he would ask him if he remembered playing against his dad. (This would have been in Albert's Newcastle days when he was and England U23 international) Norman said "Aye, I remember 'im, he was too fookin quick for me".

I guess you wouldn't get away with being one of a very few who wore white boots if you weren't that good. We never got to see the best of Albert. 

Edited by nutty nigel