Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Chris Wilder Has A Plan!

Odd how 200 Romanians are allowed to enter the country in a packed plane, but 22 players and sundry others are not allowed to play a game of football..........that wouldn't probably syart for another 6 weeks !

12 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I don't see it. The 'void' option would be to start afresh if this season never happened, no?

Void also means no relegation and no reduction in salary for the players. A massive issue for NCFC if TV revenue dries up or has to be repaid.

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

Odd how 200 Romanians are allowed to enter the country in a packed plane, but 22 players and sundry others are not allowed to play a game of football..........that wouldn't probably syart for another 6 weeks !

Not really, there are lots of people having to do necessary jobs to keep the economy and food production going. Football isn't one of them.

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Not really, there are lots of people having to do necessary jobs to keep the economy and food production going. Football isn't one of them.

that being the point you seem to be missing the Romanians are being allowed in because they are being  tested before they leave

which is what would happen to the players etc before they leave to go to  the ground - and it will likely be six weeks  on so there's a good chance we will be better placed with the virus

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

you only have to look at the mess qualifying for European games would be

who would claim an FA cup spot ? The winner from last sreason is banned, Leicester are currently 3rd but would miss out

what about the winners of the Chelsea Arsenal final - would they still qualify ?

to simply claim that the season could be void is absurd

I beg to differ and see it as the only sensible option in the face of an impossible situation. The money is gone, any restart while hundreds are falling sick is going to look grotesque so draw a line under it and concentrate on saving the clubs until such time as we can think of a fresh season. That is my opinion and I know many disagree.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I beg to differ and see it as the only sensible option in the face of an impossible situation. The money is gone, any restart while hundreds are falling sick is going to look grotesque so draw a line under it and concentrate on saving the clubs until such time as we can think of a fresh season. That is my opinion and I know many disagree.

The money is gone ?

It hasn't been paid as the final games have not been played - so how on earth are PL clubs going to meet player contracts with that cut in their annual budget ?

It is not going to look sick, and I don't doubt it will be a very welcome distraction.....alongside saving pro football

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

The money is gone ?

It hasn't been paid as the final games have not been played - so how on earth are PL clubs going to meet player contracts with that cut in their annual budget ?

It is not going to look sick, and I don't doubt it will be a very welcome distraction.....alongside saving pro football

Best they adjust to reality now rather than later because the future is going to look very different and there is no certainty that we can ever go back to the old normal.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bill said:

The money is gone ?

I’m not sure this is correct but I think I read that there are 2 payments to teams,  and the last was in February so it would involve paying some of that back if the broadcasters wanted that. Reports suggest they are looking at different options for future seasons though. The final position payments Obviously wouldn’t have been paid out yet and I would presume if the season were cancelled as it stood then the payments would stand. I think the likely outcome will be that PL final positions stand with no relegation and the possibility of opening up to a 22 team league next season if the EFL members can agree on the promotion places. If they can’t agree on those then it’s as you were for next season 

Edited by JF

2 hours ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

I can't read the full article either just saw the first bit.  Hopefully someone can paste the full article here.

2 hours ago, JF said:

Can’t read the article as it’s paywall but does it say anything on how the season is to be concluded if it can’t be finished? Null and void, final standings ect

Install Github and bypass the paywall 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Correct. I'm sure that impacting on next season and the finances that come with it would cause more problems than voiding this one. 

One agreement that could potentially be reached with Sky is that they pay most of the remaining money this season (if they have the cashflow to do so) but then get a discount for future seasons. Their current contract is worth around £1.5bn per season until 2022, so if they are able to pay this season as normal (or close to it) then they could get a reduction on future years, or even the 2022-2025 contract should they win it. They could use this as a huge bargaining chip to get the 2022-2025 contract on favourable terms.

Do you really, honestly think that Sky will continue with any payments and they then get a discount for future seasons? Where will that leave the premier league? Unable to negotiate with any other group like BT, Amazon etc etc for footballing rights. And do you seriously think that Sky Sports doesn’t have a cash flow problem currently, with them offering suspension/payment holidays of sports contracts with consumers, as they cannot show what those customers are paying for! It s not a bargaining chip at all.

52 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Best they adjust to reality now rather than later because the future is going to look very different and there is no certainty that we can ever go back to the old normal.

Reality is bankruptcy in many cases.... as blunt as that

June 2019 accounts

'A figure of +£20.6m was raised through player sale transactions, with the majority in the form of instalments from the sale of players from previous reporting periods such as Josh Murphy, Alex Pritchard and James Maddison. '

Hopefully I am not reading the figures wrong - asat that stage we owed £12m, and were owed £25m in transfer payments

Once one or two clubs go under they will pull the rest down.... bit by bit

Relegation Clauses may be the answer to Norwich City surviving I presume Webber will have inserted this into all those contracts newly signed in the Summer of 2019.  The £70m earned from 19/20 should have ensured a profit sufficient to cover expense for the next season whenever that may be irrespective of the division we find ourselves.  If no such clauses I doubt we could survive a season in the Champs.

The article in the Times has three clubs relegated how do they sort out the third club that would have gone up via the playoffs if Leeds and WBA are promoted.

We might get away with selling off the family jewels but expect the anticipated riches not to be as worth as much as it once was expected.  Buying clubs will be trying to recoup losses made this season at the expense of selling clubs.

Still feel null and void with no promotion or relegation fairest way to end season.  But then I would wouldn't I.   

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Void also means no relegation and no reduction in salary for the players. A massive issue for NCFC if TV revenue dries up or has to be repaid.

In that situation we'd have another year of premier league income coming our way. Even if this seasons reduced by 25% (and didn't sky say something about not claiming it all back) we'd still be massively up when you consider next season.

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

I agree.

It amazes me that there is such a determination to put lives at risk just to finish a football season, so is it a case of Sky and BT sport etc are now so powerful they are dictating that forget the medical advice we'll send 22 players out on to the pitch and have all the coaching staff and support staff with them plus everyone else needed to manage a game, oh and not forgetting healthcare professionals needed to be on standby!?

Utter madness, until there is a vaccine or every player has had it (not just tested) then how can a match safely go ahead?! What if a player catches it and dies, the insurance company wouldn't pay out of the government advice is to social distance and then what, that players family sue the club for making them play.....or will they have to ask the players who wants to play and then sue those that don't got breach of contract.

The world has gone mad, people are dying for heavens sake and this whole debate (in general) is in really bad taste and disrespectful to those dead, dying and those trying really hard to make sure the rest of us don't!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, City 2nd said:

Do you really, honestly think that Sky will continue with any payments and they then get a discount for future seasons? Where will that leave the premier league? Unable to negotiate with any other group like BT, Amazon etc etc for footballing rights. And do you seriously think that Sky Sports doesn’t have a cash flow problem currently, with them offering suspension/payment holidays of sports contracts with consumers, as they cannot show what those customers are paying for! It s not a bargaining chip at all.

I'll admit that it was a pie-in-the-sky idea that I hadn't thought through properly. I know Sky has cashflow problems (hence why I mentioned it) which makes it seriously unlikely.

However, at the moment the Premier League has a shortfall of several hundred million and Sky can't/won't pay it, so somebody is going have to give up on something or come up with a compromise somewhere. 

24 minutes ago, JF said:

This is a really good piece on why the seasons can’t and won’t be completed. It’s about American sports but it rings true across all countries and arenas 

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/04/10/sports-arent-coming-back-soon

Imagine testing every 22 set of players and support staff (50 to 60 people perhaps? Maybe more) including officials before every game and multiply that by 10 for the EPL and another 75/80 for the leagues and for each match weekend! That would mean c.80000 tests a time. I would be certain that those test numbers would be far more important being carried out for NHS / care workers let alone those members of the public suffering. It's outrageous really isn't it. Just to play games behind closed doors. Talk about insensitivity!

Edited by sonyc

11 minutes ago, JF said:

This is a really good piece on why the seasons can’t and won’t be completed. It’s about American sports but it rings true across all countries and arenas 

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/04/10/sports-arent-coming-back-soon

That pretty much sums what most reasonable people think, but these 2 passages stand out for me, and it is in reference to testing.

"At the moment, screening is scarce enough that many healthcare facilities cannot even clear their employees."

"Asymptomatic professional athletes are not high on anyone’s priority list."

3 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

That pretty much sums what most reasonable people think, but these 2 passages stand out for me, and it is in reference to testing.

"At the moment, screening is scarce enough that many healthcare facilities cannot even clear their employees."

"Asymptomatic professional athletes are not high on anyone’s priority list."

I also found it quite amusing that the same ideas to get the American sports back up and running behind closed doors are the same we’re hearing here about the PL. one central location, teams moving to other areas to play ect. As the article points out. It’s all pie in the sky 

6 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Imagine testing every 22 set of players and support staff (50 to 60 people perhaps? Maybe more) including officials before every game and multiply that by 10 for the EPL and another 75/80 for the leagues and for each match weekend! That would mean c.80000 tests a time. I would be certain that those  test on numbers would be far more important being carried out for NHS / care workers let alone those members of the public suffering. It's outrageous really isn't it. Just to play games behind closed doors. Talk about insensitivity!

Yes it’s just an impossible task and shows that even next season is massively under threat. And as pointed out in the article, you can lock everyone involved away but it only takes one case to bring it all crumbling down again.

18 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Imagine testing every 22 set of players and support staff (50 to 60 people perhaps? Maybe more) including officials before every game and multiply that by 10 for the EPL and another 75/80 for the leagues and for each match weekend! That would mean c.80000 tests a time. I would be certain that those test numbers would be far more important being carried out for NHS / care workers let alone those members of the public suffering. It's outrageous really isn't it. Just to play games behind closed doors. Talk about insensitivity!

Hadn't worked out the numbers but that puts it in to perspective!

15 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Hadn't worked out the numbers but that puts it in to perspective!

Well, they are broad brush Rich T! Yet, imagine the public outcry and esp from the NHS who have been desperately wanting tests only for footballers to get them before any match ....it doesn't bear thinking about

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

Well, they are broad brush Rich T! Yet, imagine the public outcry and esp from the NHS who have been desperately wanting tests only for footballers to get them before any match ....it doesn't bear thinking about

Hence why there is absolutely no way it will happen and there is no way they can put lives at risk to it's not a win-win; it's a lose lose

On 16/04/2020 at 11:40, norfolkbroadslim said:

I don’t think there should be a cut-off,” he said. “English football and European football will want to finish the season. I believe there will be an ability next year to adjust with international breaks, moving a few games into midweek and extending the season.

“That gives us the ability through organisation and planning to finish this current season off."

I'll give him credit for doing a very good at Sheffield United.  But saying there shouldn't be a cut-off is just stupid and would cause no end of issues as has been widely discussed on here previously. His opinion no doubt influenced by Sheffield United having a chance of getting into Europe this season.

He has not allowed for 1 thing, the likelihood of the UEFA cup happening next year as it stands is slim.

42 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Has Chris Wilder revised his plan yet?

He will once he has read this forum.

I don't know if I am suggesting something that has been mooted before but I was talking, on the phone I might add, to a mate who is a Liverpool supporter. Doesn't go to home games but lots of the away ones.

To appease Liverpool for now and WBA and Leeds. End the season. Kind of null and void it but retain the points, Play next season from the beginning whenever that may be and at the finish, add on the points from this season. That way the advantage sides had this season would not be gone for ever and this season could be ended and the lower league clubs unload all their out of contract players, 50% of the league apparently, on 30 June and save money.

Forget European football. It isn't going to happen next season in any normal format. Organise something akin for TV if you like but return to both Uefa Comps in 21/22.