Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

The Daily Telegraph This Morning.

On 16/04/2020 at 10:46, Bill said:

Those wishing to read the Telegraph, Times and a host more need only download the Mozilla Firefox browser

then look in the add ons section for 'by-pass paywalls' add on

and off you go

there are also umpteen other excellent add ons from ad blockers to youtube downloaders

so get with it Daddio and drop Chrome, Edge etc

Bill does not endorse such behaviour and would like to point out that the previous Bill TV showing live games was not this Bill - and all pther forms of 'naughtiness'  are totally against the generous and benevolent but impoverished multi media companies so should not be encouraged

While I'm no fan of the owners of either paper, I will never understand the mindset of some people that they are entitled to read and watch everything for free.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, king canary said:

While I'm no fan of the owners of either paper, I will never understand the mindset of some people that they are entitled to read and watch everything for free.

I think TvB rode off on your moral high horse the other day, Kaceyo.😉👍

Edited by wcorkcanary

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

I think TvB rode off on your moral high horse the other day, Kaceyo.😉👍

Thinking people should pay for content = moral high horse.

I think I'm OK with my current equine height in that case.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Thinking people should pay for content = moral high horse.

I think I'm OK with my current equine height in that case.

Of course, no biggie. Each to their own. If no one paid, it wouldnt exist. My actual gripe would be concerning advertising on pay tv. ....that really pi$$es me off. Effing sky tell you the game is just about to start, then fit in an ad. HT is worse, whistle ,ads, 2mins analysis, ads whistle..

Just out of interest Kaceyo, have you never watched a small river when unable to attend a game? Fair play if you havent ,out of principle. My angle is not from entitlement, but if its doable, I'll have a gander. If they stopped those little brooks id be disappointed but hey, ive no right, fine with that.

I can't judge others for using paywall extensions - I've not seen an ad on my browser for years 🙄

23 minutes ago, Hillhead said:

I can't judge others for using paywall extensions - I've not seen an ad on my browser for years 🙄

That is, of course, your choice but you then also can't complain about clickbait, paywalls, listicles etc etc. You get what you pay for.

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

That is, of course, your choice but you then also can't complain about clickbait, paywalls, listicles etc etc. You get what you pay for.

You're attacking a straw man there KC.

I merely said I won't judge others. I'm well aware my own behaviour isn't morally perfect. 

37 minutes ago, Hillhead said:

You're attacking a straw man there KC.

I merely said I won't judge others. I'm well aware my own behaviour isn't morally perfect. 

Wasn't meant as an attack- more of an observation.

I understand the use of ad-blockers- so many of the adverts you get on websites these days are super intrusive, people are basically forced into using them. Paywall avoiders less so.

I do think there are quite a few people who want to have their cake and eat it with regards to sports content- complain about clickbait newspapers or spurious transfer gossip but refuse to pay or even view adverts. Not saying you're one, just that quite a few exist. 

Edited by king canary
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Wasn't meant as an attack- more of an observation.

I understand the use of ad-blockers- so many of the adverts you get on websites these days are super intrusive, people are basically forced into using them. Paywall avoiders less so.

I do think there are quite a few people who want to have their cake and eat it with regards to sports content- complain about clickbait newspapers or spurious transfer gossip but refuse to pay or even view adverts. Not saying you're one, just that quite a few exist. 

fair enough

It was actually this site that first prompted me to get an Adblock* not sure what it's like now but a couple of years ago the adverts on this forum were as obtrusive as they come (although admittedly not as bad as the pop ups of the 90's!)

*I'd probably use one now anyway now that I've learn more about how they track you around the internet and the way Google etc al use tactics to get you hooked on their services etc - another topic) 

13 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

There are ads on this site? :classic_ohmy:

Not for me - not since we all won free iPhones a couple of years ago 😁

For the record, the Daily Mail recently ran an editorial demanding that the government spends on corona virus propaganda adverts in their local papers to support them during a period of lost revenue. Ads in papers which frankly, no-one reads and which are already supported by ludicrously expensive, compulsory public notices which would be better placed on council websites. The Daily Mail also employs expensive columnists who also often earn from TV appearances. How much have they, and the group's well paid executives volunteered to cut their salaries before putting out the begging bowl for state funds?

19 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Last time I had an ad on my browser it featured the Milky Bar Kid🙃

A cousin of mine was the Milky Bar kid , late 60s early 70s. Also was in a Smarties ad.

8 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

A cousin of mine was the Milky Bar kid , late 60s early 70s. Also was in a Smarties ad.

Was it this guy Corkio...

846648823_MilkyBarKidcard-page-001.thumb.jpg.6bcfd01f19e5ff83e2cf036641f07c90.jpg

On 17/04/2020 at 13:44, king canary said:

Where have I stated that I have such expectation, or that it relates to everything. I haven't

So accuse me of stealing. Make a case for the damage I might be doing to any of these journals - but don't include me in your , misleading claims, stick to what you know about someone.

And if you can honestly say that you did not read the transcript of that DT article posted on here - the fine. you have the moreal position to make comment.

But as I have failed to ever read one peep out of you in regard to live games being illegally streamed on here I shall therefore assume your self righteous bleat was rather selective.

And a final point, the radio shows are out of copywrite.....so they are actually 'free'. And put up on here (as was the DT article) in the spirit of generosity ie trying to help, that's all.

Shame you weren't similarly motivated more.

Was

13 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

What about this one?

11 hours ago, cornish sam said:

Was

What about this one?

Nope, not him either, I'll be talking to me mam in the next hour or so. See if she can remember more details.

Roight, wiser now but feeling stupid at the same time, yes my cousin was  in a smarties ad,and, yes, he was in a milky bar ad, but No , he wasnt the Milky bar kid. Turns out an eight year old me got hold of the wrong end of the stick and never let go. Fifty years I believed  he'd  got the round of MBs in. His  dad was an ad exec and his children  got bits of ' extra' work. 

Apologies all round for misinformation. 

Edited by wcorkcanary

31 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Roight, wiser now but feeling stupid at the same time, yes my cousin was  in a smarties ad,and, yes, he was in a milky bar ad, but No , he wasnt the Milky bar kid. Turns out an eight year old me got hold of the wrong end of the stick and never let go. Fifty years I believed  he'd  got the round of MBs in. His  dad was an ad exec and his children  got bits of ' extra' work. 

Apologies all round for misinformation. 

But he would still have been strong and tough....

🙃

57 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

But he would still have been strong and tough....

🙃

Last saw him a couple of years ago,  at a family reunion.  Doing grand despite all that chocolate in his childhood. Chelsea supporter  though.  🤔