Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

I'm not renewing my season ticket.

Seems to me we are only talking EPL. Can you imagine how Tranmere or Southend might cope if they are told to play games behind closed doors until a vaccine is found and used universally?

And the transfer market will be a thing of the past globally for a while. Where are players going when their contracts are up and their club doesn't want them to renew? Who will replace them?

I just have this awful feeling that football, which is basically run for the benefit of the big clubs, will do a Trump and start too early without consideration for anyone or anything else. 

The more I ponder it all, I loathe the EPL and what it stands for even more than I used to.

I bet the people at the club who have been furloughed aren't particularly mad about it. They're getting paid, they'll have a job to go back to AND NCFC are topping up the other 20%

I have been furloughed. I work for a small company so no guarantee of a job when this is over dependent on how it affects the business. And my company is only topping up 10%

Everyone is entitled to express their displeasure at the club but I think it's, ultimately, fruitless to complain. Especially given the bizarre times we're living in. The club hasn't acted in an underhand manner. Many more examples of bigger business than NCFC abusing the system. Why aren't we hearing people discuss this? 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Seems to me we are only talking EPL. Can you imagine how Tranmere or Southend might cope if they are told to play games behind closed doors until a vaccine is found and used universally?

And the transfer market will be a thing of the past globally for a while. Where are players going when their contracts are up and their club doesn't want them to renew? Who will replace them?

I just have this awful feeling that football, which is basically run for the benefit of the big clubs, will do a Trump and start too early without consideration for anyone or anything else. 

The more I ponder it all, I loathe the EPL and what it stands for even more than I used to.

And there may be a split even within the EPL, given today's meeting. According to the Mail nine clubs want the season to end on June 30, even if not completed, but the top six want to finish whenever that takes. The obvious rationale is that these half-dozen want the European places for next season (and, yes, I know there might not even be a proper next season but...) settled.

I have had at the back of my mind all the way through this the idea that the EPL clubs know the rest of the pyramid cannot be played to a finish (three hundred or four hunded games, depending), so you cannot have promotion and relegation, but you can at least sort out who will go into the Champions League and the Europa League.

I'm so fed up with all this Charlie Rich nonsense that I'm not going to renew my TV licence. 

They can't even make new episodes of Corrie and EastEnders but show football instead? 

It's a disgrace.

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm so fed up with all this Charlie Rich nonsense that I'm not going to renew my TV licence. 

They can't even make new episodes of Corrie and EastEnders but show football instead? 

It's a disgrace.

I'm throwing in a whole bank of TV licences...

30 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Cluckin' Nora! That's a lot...

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

And there may be a split even within the EPL, given today's meeting. According to the Mail nine clubs want the season to end on June 30, even if not completed, but the top six want to finish whenever that takes. The obvious rationale is that these half-dozen want the European places for next season (and, yes, I know there might not even be a proper next season but...) settled.

I have had at the back of my mind all the way through this the idea that the EPL clubs know the rest of the pyramid cannot be played to a finish (three hundred or four hunded games, depending), so you cannot have promotion and relegation, but you can at least sort out who will go into the Champions League and the Europa League.

Apparently there are 92 EPL games left and 80 players who will run off the end of their contracts on 30 June. Today's meeting is not intended to resolve anything (how could it) and the proposal to end on the 30 June is not even on the agenda. There is another meeting in two weeks so it sounds like some clubs are flying a kite on this. With 14 clubs required to carry a decision it is hard to see any proposal that will carry (e.g. a coalition of the clubs in the relegation slots and the clubs in the CL slots can block everything). So expect to see this kicked down the road until such point that the government gets off the pot and publishes an exit strategy for the lockdown.

42 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I thought your postcode was exempt ?

5 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Well I've always had a very strong dislike of the EPL as I've said on this board a number of times.

But to be fair, so far, I don't think my opinion of them has changed much either way but it certainly has made it even more obvious, if it wasn't already to some, that the EPL is entirely about the cash and very little to do with sport. Its just a business like any other and football happens to be the commodity that they sell - sadly given their success in that respect and the enormous sums of money involved that is probably the way its going to be. Sadly it's quite difficult to see how the clock can be turned back to the time when the game itself, the players and supporters in the ground, were what counted.

This crisis is certainly going to impact the football world severely but unfortunately it looks as though it will sweep away many of the 'proper' teams and leagues but leave the TV reality shows such as the EPL fairly unscathed.

1 hour ago, BigFish said:

Apparently there are 92 EPL games left and 80 players who will run off the end of their contracts on 30 June. Today's meeting is not intended to resolve anything (how could it) and the proposal to end on the 30 June is not even on the agenda. There is another meeting in two weeks so it sounds like some clubs are flying a kite on this. With 14 clubs required to carry a decision it is hard to see any proposal that will carry (e.g. a coalition of the clubs in the relegation slots and the clubs in the CL slots can block everything). So expect to see this kicked down the road until such point that the government gets off the pot and publishes an exit strategy for the lockdown.

In terms of finishing off the pyramid, which means 11 rounds of matches, football would have to restart early in May and there is zero chance of that happening.

To just finish the EPL could mean restarting a bit later but certainly still in May and there is next to zero chance of that. In effect June 30 is already a non-starter, or more accurately a non-finisher. Which is interesting and potentially the source of much chaos, since as you say there are 80 EPL players out of contract then.

There is a Uefa meeting next week which should be fun and probably just as inconclusive, since there seems to be zero synschonisation between the major leagues on when to restart.