Sign in to follow this  
yellow_belly

What a complete crap club we are

25 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

If you took off that silly hat and actually talked to people or googled opinions you wound quickly find out the mood of the country re PL clubs furloughing staff. But I bet your world sounds good in your head.

I disagree with you. I am happy to listen to but have actually read it given that I am an employer

My hat is merely decoration and I don't need to talk to or google anything where furloughing is involved as it is clear why it has been set up and why football clubs will be using it - unless they have super rich owners which is where it becomes questionable. 

So we disagree, but at least I have looked at the arguments on both sides and can see that the vast majority of clubs who do not benefit from a super rich owner will be furloughing their staff. It's already happening across the country in all team sports and at every level. Are they all wrong too?

The fact that NCFC as a PL club are using it is also clearly justifiable if you look at the facts around our resources compared to every other PL club.   We are not cash rich and there is real uncertainty of what will happen to football finances - and given the commitments we already have in player contracts that will quickly drain our resources to the point where we will run out of money, the obvious conclusion to that running out of money would be redundancies - the very thing furloughing is supposed to help avoid.

Wow. Four articles, two from the ToryGraph and the Daily Fail. Both of whom have an interest to deflect criticism from Boris. 

The mood - at least toward Norwich - has not changed. Almost nobody cares about what NCFC does.  

There are many more important things to focus on. Like rescuing the country from this crisis. 

Edited by Surfer
  • Thanks 1

Mr Lake man states “ don't need to talk to or google anything where furloughing is involved

One may say that this is where you are going wrong? Have a read about the mood of the country and how this is portraying our community debt free club. 

18 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Stuart Webber quote from late February.  -

"For sure he's a player of interest to us whose contract is up this coming summer. We were never going to bring him in January," said Webber. "That was never on our agenda.

"He's one we're interested in for the medium term, he's a good player, albeit playing at a very difficult level to really assess but again he fits the type of player that we look for.

So why was he here January? Holiday? You can sign a pre contract you know. Buendia was signed in January!

22 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Stuart Webber quote from late February.  -

"For sure he's a player of interest to us whose contract is up this coming summer. We were never going to bring him in January," said Webber. "That was never on our agenda.

"He's one we're interested in for the medium term, he's a good player, albeit playing at a very difficult level to really assess but again he fits the type of player that we look for.

“I spoke to Daniel Farke in January when I met him and the Sporting Director, Stuart Webber. We spoke together and he told me a bit about how he works and how the team is supposed to play. I’m excited to join.”

Here’s  your quote. Also this very site reported it on January 28....

46 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

The Mail piece has a particularly misleading line:

Norwich first revealed plans to furlough and on April 10 they announced the arrival of Luxembourg international Danel Sinani on a three-year deal, notably without any mention of a fee.

As if we have kept the size of the fee quiet because it is embarrassingly large. Whereas it's hard to mention a fee when it's a free transfer for an out of contract player.

33 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The Mail piece has a particularly misleading line:

Norwich first revealed plans to furlough and on April 10 they announced the arrival of Luxembourg international Danel Sinani on a three-year deal, notably without any mention of a fee.

As if we have kept the size of the fee quiet because it is embarrassingly large. Whereas it's hard to mention a fee when it's a free transfer for an out of contract player.

Two of the pieces never even mention Norwich. Telegraph no idea as won't pay to read that. 

Even the Daily Mail one despite not knowing it is a free transfer only actually criticise us for that. In the lead up they also say:

"Yes, they operate on a far smaller budget than their Premier League rivals - as Sportsmail reported last April, they took a slender transfer budget of £20m with them into the Premier League with an eye on preserving their financial future. They're bottom of the league as it stands but when clubs have shredded themselves for throwing mountains of money on Premier League survival and failed, a responsible business model does deserve respect."

They gave a few thousand to charity so don’t need to..! (£200k divides by the whole squad and directors etc equates to about £6000 each)

seriously this is a very good question. Why don’t you ask the club directly..! 

1 hour ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

It would be interesting to see whether or not the respective revenues this season back this up.

...but it isnt just about this season of course... Tottenham and Liverpool have been in the EPL and Champions League for years, Newcastle's model and Bournemouth's is very different to ours... next season we are potentially in the EFL.   We haven't received all the rewards the EPL brings and there is uncertainty whether we will.     We don't spend £millions on players like these teams do.   Vast difference and you can be sure that our revenues will be massively inferior to Spurs, Pool and the Toon. 

2 hours ago, essex canary said:

In response to Ged, why then did the Club pay a ridiculous 25% promotion bonus to select few bondholders and nothing to loyal shareholders. They are never open and honest to me when I ask the question they just clam up. Then they bounce the problem onto the loyal away fans. Also we are in the Champions League for audit and tax advice fees which indicates we have never been too keen to pay for public services in the past only to find a new found enthusiasm now. I wonder why? 

in response to Essex Canary on transparency, the answer is, I'm not sure about that specifically and don't know the rules of each scheme, but the point is, when making a statement as the poster did in the title, at least offer all the facts before saying we're a 'crap' club.   There's a lot about this club that is open and transparent, a lot that is good and i'm not having someone call my club crap without justifying it.   

The point of the articles is only to highlight to some on here that not everyone thinks we are a marvellous club doing the completely right thing re furlough 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

Two of the pieces never even mention Norwich. Telegraph no idea as won't pay to read that. 

Even the Daily Mail one despite not knowing it is a free transfer only actually criticise us for that. In the lead up they also say:

"Yes, they operate on a far smaller budget than their Premier League rivals - as Sportsmail reported last April, they took a slender transfer budget of £20m with them into the Premier League with an eye on preserving their financial future. They're bottom of the league as it stands but when clubs have shredded themselves for throwing mountains of money on Premier League survival and failed, a responsible business model does deserve respect."

True, but they go on to say:

What doesn't [deserve respect] is announcing a new signing when you are relying on government money to pay your staff. On March 31, Norwich first revealed plans to furlough and on April 10 they announced the arrival of Luxembourg international Danel Sinani on a three-year deal, notably without any mention of a fee.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

True, but they go on to say:

What doesn't [deserve respect] is announcing a new signing when you are relying on government money to pay your staff. On March 31, Norwich first revealed plans to furlough and on April 10 they announced the arrival of Luxembourg international Danel Sinani on a three-year deal, notably without any mention of a fee.

Sure it was poorly timed to say the least! However the player had said in an interview that he signed a contract with us before we announced it.

1 minute ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

Sure it was poorly timed to say the least! However the player had said in an interview that he signed a contract with us before we announced it.

Yep, Storm in a Teacup.  It's as if dealing with c19  isn't enough for some people....journalists I understand, they have to write to get paid and if leaving out pertinent facts makes an article tastier , then that's what theyll do.

What I dont get is that anyone who has an interest in NCFC could try to use this signing as a stick to bash the Club with. It was no secret that Sinani  was coming here. 

Lads, dont get dragged into the gutter along with its residents, the sporting press( there are exceptions).

Bad timing, that's all.  No guilty party,  no one to blame.

Like I said, Storm in a teacup. 

• Like 4

Anyone that follows the club will know that Sinani was coming to Norwich. If it wasn't signed in January it was agreed and some kind of commitment was made on both sides and I think we all gleaned that from what was said at the time.  This recent announcement was a mere formality - but those interested in stirring up stuff, ie the media/binners and trolls will make the most of it to try and make it uncomfortable for the club, however unjust that is.   The media simply want a story and will often not bother to find out the full facts - they simply don't care, they just want an angle to get people to read their stuff. 

• Like 1

The timing of the announcement About his signing was the completion (or abandonment) of the Luxembourg league season wasn’t it? 

if so, there nothing inappropriate about it. 

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

The timing of the announcement About his signing was the completion (or abandonment) of the Luxembourg league season wasn’t it? 

if so, there nothing inappropriate about it. 

Good point. Really only a story for those with an axe to grind.

I'm not sure of the social mood atm, because I am housebound by the virus. Nobody I have spoken to has an issue with it at all, but obviously my friendship group will reflect my own interests and will have similar understandings.

From my perspective, with a few exceptions, most of the criticism of businesses adopting the furlough scheme has come from those that have very little understanding of economics or the details of the scheme itself.

In time, if unemployment rises as some scenarios suggest it might, I suspect that rather than criticising business that did take the furlough scheme, there will be more attention on those that didn't and damaged the UK economy as a consequence. 

In the meantime, might I suggest that we set up a "Yellow Belly fund for the Govt" so that people on here can put their money where their mouths are? We are led to believe that their view is widespread, so it should raise plenty.

On 15/04/2020 at 17:08, yellow_belly said:

The point of the articles is only to highlight to some on here that not everyone thinks we are a marvellous club doing the completely right thing re furlough 

...In the meantime, might I suggest that we set up a "Yellow Belly fund for the Govt" so that people on here can put their money where their mouths are? We are led to believe that their view is widespread, so it should raise plenty.

Can I suggest that you use your pink un name for the donations so that we can see those that have the courage of their convictions.

https://www.justgiving.com/

Despite the often uninformed complaints about businesses taking up the furlough scheme the real issue is those businesses that don't or can't. Perhaps perceptions may change when unemployment shoots up?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-job-retention-furlough-scheme-rishi-sunak-a9471071.html

PS - I haven't seen the "Yellow Belly fund for the Govt!" When it is set up please contribute in your Pink Un names so we can those that are happy to give away their money "to help." 

In the final analysis given some of the basket cases in football it is very clear that Norwich City are not remotely a crap club. That said we still ought to ask serious questions about where we are and why we are there. In 1996 the cry went up following the Chase regime that never again would we run with a dominant shareholder. The club currently has provision for 8 board members yet we run with only 5. We wouldn't go on the pitch with 3 players short so why do it in the boardroom? Burnleys largest shareholder owns 49% of the Club with 5 other shareholders each owning 3%. That sounds more like the regime we were seeking in 1996.