ElmerFudd

Is O'Neil right?

3 hours ago, JF said:

As I understand it the deal was agreed in January

1 hour ago, Yellow Kiwi said:

Sinani deal agreed by end of January

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The signing was a done deal ages ago. 

So a few people seem to be under the impression that he signed in January, and the best they can come up with in evidence is a rumour article from the Pink'un dated 28th January which cites a website called 'Football Insider'.

Well here's Stuart Webber's quote from late February, clearly no deal was done in January! 

"For sure he's a player of interest to us whose contract is up this coming summer. We were never going to bring him in January," said Webber. "That was never on our agenda.

"He's one we're interested in for the medium term, he's a good player, albeit playing at a very difficult level to really assess but again he fits the type of player that we look for.

• Like 1

No, he was never going to be brought in in January - it was ALWAYS a pre contract for the summer.  Why can’t you understand this?  Which bit of it don’t you get?

Edited by Branston Pickle

How about the 740 privileged bond holders including many club insiders who unlike us shareholders or supporters claimed a 25% bonus only six months ago putting that money back in to avoid furloughing?  That would be the honourable thing to do. 

8 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

No, he was never going to be brought in in January - it was ALWAYS a pre contract for the summer.  Why can’t you understand this?  Which bit of it don’t you get?

Are you illiterate? Nowhere does Webber say that he'd be signed at that point, this is made up news. 

12 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Are you illiterate? Nowhere does Webber say that he'd be signed at that point, this is made up news. 

I never said he had....it seems you’re the one who is illiterate as you are reading what you want people to have said rather than what they did say.  Almost a classic definition. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I never said he had....it seems you’re the one who is illiterate as you are reading what you want people to have said rather than what they did say.  Almost a classic definition. 

Perhaps you completely missed the point of my previous post then, which was to correct three posters who were adamant that he'd signed a pre-contract in January. 

35 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

So why would you write this? I never claimed he'd signed a pre-contract in January!!

You are the illiterate one! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

Should O'Neil be working during the "Lockdown"? 

Is he doing an essential job? 

He was questioning the announcement, it looks to me as if the player announced it himself. 

I'm glad we didn't pull out of the deal which has been going on since the January deadline. 

Where do I mention that he signed in January as per your assertion?  I said he was never going to be bought in January and it was going to be one for the summer, I never saw one rumour that said anything more.  And it turns out they were right.

I suggest you look up a definition of illiterate.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Pretty clear that the player was telling folk his end that he had signed which kind of forced the clubs hand. All a bit of a storm in a teacup if you ask me.

4 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Pretty clear that the player was telling folk his end that he had signed which kind of forced the clubs hand. All a bit of a storm in a teacup if you ask me.

Yes but enough to tip some over the edge.  Our club is soooo dreadful.

5 hours ago, JF said:

We’re not in the same stratosphere as either of those clubs when it comes to finances. We and many other clubs are going to have a battle on our hands to stay in business. We’re using the scheme for the exact reason it’s there to be used. To keep people employed and earning during this crisis instead of having to let them go

But surely City can at least match Bournemouth

Bournemouth reverse furlough decision - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52287403

Bournemouth have been in the PL for several years and are bankrolled by a billionaire.  We got promoted last year, had to take out a bridging loan in the summer and have spent practically nothing on players this season as we can’t afford to.... there’s a huge difference between us and them.

• Like 2

It's really really obvious that Sinani dropped the story and we've ended up announcing it (presumably to stop dingbats thinking we're secretly spending money whilst furloughing staff).

It's a non story. We have zero financial liability for the player until July.

7 hours ago, ElmerFudd said:

But surely City can at least match Bournemouth

Bournemouth reverse furlough decision - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52287403

Bournemouth who are owned by a Russian Billionaire and have had several years consecutive PL payments? We’re not likely to get all this years PL money and who knows what will happen next

Edited by JF

14 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Where do I mention that he signed in January as per your assertion?  I said he was never going to be bought in January and it was going to be one for the summer, I never saw one rumour that said anything more.  And it turns out they were right.

I suggest you look up a definition of illiterate.

You said he'd signed a pre-contract then.  Webber says otherwise.  I would think Webber would know better than you on whether he had or had not signed any sort of contract in January.

15 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Edited by norfolkbroadslim

On 15/04/2020 at 14:26, norfolkbroadslim said:

You said he'd signed a pre-contract then.  Webber says otherwise.  I would think Webber would know better than you on whether he had or had not signed any sort of contract in January.

You can check all you like.  I clearly said he was never going to be signed in January (by which I was including a ore contract).  And he wasn’t.  
We were only ever going to sign him on a pre contract and that can be done at any point on the last 6 months of a contract.