Sign in to follow this  
Rock The Boat

Have you had Corona virus?

Nobody has any idea whether they've had it unless they've been admitted to hospital, so the answer will be "horrible".

Anybody with mild symptoms won't know if they've had it or not. 

Part of the reason Covid is such a problem is because many people have the virus (and are infectious) with no symptoms at all.  Also many people have a very mild version with just some of the symptoms and I agree for them it's impossible to be sure unless tested.

A friend of mine has had the full-on symptoms of persistent cough, fever, extreme fatigue.  She had to self-isolate for the week before lockdown started and is now fully recovered and back working (from home like the rest of her office) but is stuck with the lockdown restrictions of course.  She's described it as basically worse than any flu she's ever had (she's in her 30s in generally good health). She's not been tested but it seems hard to believe it's anything else.

It seems to me it's a rare illness that goes the full spectrum from zero symptoms, to mild/unpleasant in many or most cases, all the way to being fatal.

20 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I have had corona cherryade but that was a hell of a long while ago.

such sparkling wit

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Bill said:

such sparkling wit

Is this where i accuse you of following me around the forum so if it is......Do one.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Haha 1

you are such a silly tilly aren't you

cherryade.........................................sparkling :classic_biggrin:

a harmless pun. that's all

I was in Spain 20th Feb to 2nd March then came back to uk. Used the public transport to London on the 4th March and then to WHL, return to Norwich.

I felt battered for three or four days later but assumed it was travelling. Mild fever, that is sitting watching tv and T shirt gets wet through perspiration, heating on low. Tired,  going back to bed even though you'd just got up. No cough. The weirdest feeling was a wave of sensation that travelled up my back and an intense ache that targeted the neck and shoulder. Unsettling to say the least as the virus was showing in Spain.

Partner felt the same but  for her the fever was a worse, no cough.

Self isolated for 14 days. All Ok now. Mild symptoms and we have no underlying health issues.

When I get the opportunity to have a test I will have one as we care for daughter, a  vulnerable adult. She is with us now because we believe we have had it and she is at less of a risk with us  than her placement.

• Thanks 2

I come back to the Diamond Princess on which 600 people tested positive for the virus of which 50%, give or take, never knew they'd had it. IF the same applies in the UK who knows whether I or anyone else has had it. 

3 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

If so, what was it like?

My mate has (suspected ) to have had it and he says he has never had anything like it before. He’s very rarely poorly and this has knocked him about something chronic! He has a horrible cough, weak and no energy. He’s a fit lad and cannot believe how bad he feels 

I felt really ill end of January, headache, dry cough and felt knackered, took three days away from work, being self employed not something I normally do. My work colleague in my office was ill for two weeks with same symptoms, trouble is we just said flu, who knows? But there’s been a definite bug going round since end of December, lots of people have said they’ve had symptoms but without testing no way of knowing.

I’m still lucky enough to say I don’t know anyone who’s definitely had it or been hospitalised by this. That’ll probably change.

just off the phone to my mate with MN. and his 'symptons' have cleared up and he is back to normal...as can be.

It is ablessinh to know that you cannot be sure of avoiding it, but you are not in the awful position of those whose existing condition would make it far more serious

burdens that most of us are not aware of, or ever really were before this

Several people at work, including me had something in December/January, all very similar symptoms to each other, persistent dry cough etc etc, fever felt drained of energy, cough lasted for a couple of months before going completely, certainly the worst I’ve ever had a cold/bout of flu. I’ll be interested to see if we all get anti body tests whether I had the virus or not.

13 minutes ago, Rivvo said:

Several people at work, including me had something in December/January, all very similar symptoms to each other, persistent dry cough etc etc, fever felt drained of energy, cough lasted for a couple of months before going completely, certainly the worst I’ve ever had a cold/bout of flu. I’ll be interested to see if we all get anti body tests whether I had the virus or not.

Interesting if it was CV19 and you had it in December. Had anyone been out of UK?

It went through a lot of us at work who work in separate locations, I’ve no idea who out of them had been abroad or if family members had, I’m talking a few dozen people affected at a guess.

I read an article recently referring to some tests in Iceland. Fairly small sample size - only around 5 per cent of the population, and not everyone tested positive. But of those who did test positive, around half had been completely asymptomatic.

So my guess would be that if you could accurately identify everyone who had had it, probably around half would say they hadn’t even realised or it was just a sniffle, another large chunk would say it was like “normal” flu, a smaller chunk would say it was like very bad “flu”, an even smaller chunk would have been hospitalised and a yet smaller chunk would have sadly died.  

2 hours ago, Indy said:

I felt really ill end of January, headache, dry cough and felt knackered, took three days away from work, being self employed not something I normally do. My work colleague in my office was ill for two weeks with same symptoms, trouble is we just said flu, who knows? But there’s been a definite bug going round since end of December, lots of people have said they’ve had symptoms but without testing no way of knowing.

I’m still lucky enough to say I don’t know anyone who’s definitely had it or been hospitalised by this. That’ll probably change.

I know several people that had a horrendous illness that they couldn’t shake around December time. They all said the same things, felt absolutely atrocious and it just lasted for ages, absolutely draining them. Makes you wonder if this was here then? The only thing is if it was, then surely the deaths and hospitalisations would have been noticed earlier?

Edited by JF

6 minutes ago, JF said:

I know several people that had a horrendous illness that they couldn’t shake around December time. They all said the same things, felt absolutely atrocious and it just lasted for ages, absolutely draining them. Makes you wonder if this was here then? The only thing is if it was, then surely the deaths and hospitalisations would have been noticed earlier?

Not necessarily, it would depend on the population that was infected, if it was youngish healthy individuals the chances are they would have convalesced at home and a GP would have thought of it as flu. Even if hospitalised the odd patient suffering acute respiratory syndrome would probably not have rung any alarm bells if isolated cases.

5 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Not necessarily, it would depend on the population that was infected, if it was youngish healthy individuals the chances are they would have convalesced at home and a GP would have thought of it as flu. Even if hospitalised the odd patient suffering acute respiratory syndrome would probably not have rung any alarm bells if isolated cases.

True. The people I’m referring to were under 40 with no health issues so I don’t think they even saw a doctor 

I had it last week.Caught it off of one of the customers at my work I assume, I spent most nights sweating buckets in my bed and even now I'm still coughing up gross looking slime, But I'm in my mid 20's and extremely fit, I compete regularly in boxing and Muay Thai competitions and I do the Gorleston 5k run every week which I always do in under 20 minsso I'm probably not a normal case, I'm not bragging, just explaining my fitness level so others can compare. It was pretty tolerable for me, apart from the restless, sweaty nights and disgusting cough I've had worse illnesses before. 

I've had 2 (distant) family members die of this disease already. All I would say is please get some exercise. If you do nothing do some calisthenics in your living room, literally anything is better than nothing. if you are moderately fit do some HIIT,. It could save your life. if you walk your dog a mile every day start walking them 2 or 3. Fitness seems to be a big decider in who lives and dies so I hope you're all keeping as fit as you can. 

• Thanks 2

It is easy to believe we have had it because I guess many had some of the symptoms. We were told at first, and still by 111, that you have to have the three symptoms that it started with.

Since then we have been told that there are other symptoms like lack of taste (I'm not talking about the content of Ricardo's wardrobe) and the trots. Then we were told it could be just one symptom. Then Kenny Dalglish, the same age as me, went and confused the issue altogether.

My Grandson and his girlfriend, a Nurse, both had some of the symptoms and self isolated for 7 days. And now they feel OK.

Mrs KG and I have had some of the symptoms for a while now but as we both had the flu jab, have assumed that ours was a seasonal virus, not Covid 19, that is just lingering. We cannot assume that every other seasonal virus has disappeared because of Covid 19.

Bombarded with opinions and facts, we have concluded that not one scientist can be specific. We all live differently and our lifestyles vary. Surely if someone is having takeaway four nights a week then they are in greater danger than Mrs KG and I who haven't been near fish and chips or kebab for weeks.

I went out to play golf on Mothers Day and started feeling unwell later that day (aches, shivers and headache).  Went into work on the Monday but was home in bed by lunchtime. 

7 days in I was feeling no better and by day 10 I had my bags packed ready for hospital.  Being a reasonably fit 44, I would have hoped for mild symptoms.  I have never felt so I'll in all my life and during some of the sleep interrupted nights, I had done very dark thoughts.

Day 16 I started to feel a bit better and have improved ever since but it will be several weeks before I am 100%. I walked 3 miles yesterday and have paid for it today.

Reading into this further, I came across a couple of interesting articles and tweets.  The first was from Andrew Neil who claimed that he'd been told by someone well informed that at 10 days Covid 19 either gives up or has a proper go at you (as happened to me).

The other was an article that claimed the likelihood of you getting more than just mild symptoms had been associated with blood group, with group A being the hardest hit.  Not great for me being A Rh Neg. 

There have been several studies from hospitals using plasma donated from recovered patients being effective in treating the very ill but this need to be harvested within 28 days from your last symptoms.  I have emailed my local donor centre (Addenbrookes) and hope to be able to help in the coming weeks.

I am of the opinion that we are way further into this than anyone really knows and many more people have been infected without knowing.  Different drugs and treatments are showing promise and it is only a matter of time before we see the back of this.  But please take this seriously.  Had I have been 10 years older and a couple of stone heavier, I am convinced I would not be here now.

Look after yourselves fellow Canaries!

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Just Dan said:

I went out to play golf on Mothers Day and started feeling unwell later that day (aches, shivers and headache).  Went into work on the Monday but was home in bed by lunchtime. 

7 days in I was feeling no better and by day 10 I had my bags packed ready for hospital.  Being a reasonably fit 44, I would have hoped for mild symptoms.  I have never felt so I'll in all my life and during some of the sleep interrupted nights, I had done very dark thoughts.

Day 16 I started to feel a bit better and have improved ever since but it will be several weeks before I am 100%. I walked 3 miles yesterday and have paid for it today.

This would back why they have been so many temporary hospitals put up around the country.

As the restrictions become lifted so the number of infected will rise. What percentage will be deaths cannot at this stage be known, as it maybe the most vunerable susceptible have already died. However those infections are to come - irrespective of plateaus etc

The hospitals are there to deal with those as with Dan, where the patient just needs a bed and treatment where applicable. No silly mask or any other ju-ju will avoid you coming into contact with this virus, as countries where such fancy dress is all the rage, have shown. Onlly staying out of contact can do that.

ps thanks Dan for that insight, glad you came through

Edited by Bill

I wonder if we will be wearing masks?

New York State requiring masks now and Merkel recommending them in Germany, 

"It is recommended that masks be used in public transport and while  shopping," Merkel told journalists after talks with regional leaders from Germany's 16 states.

According to Germany's Ministry of Health, wearing even a simple face mask could shield others from infection, especially as some people with coronavirus are not aware that they have the disease.

No problem - people need to know how horrendous this can be.  Just to add, I spoke with nhs111 who didn't seem to think I was ill enough to justify hospital.  I disagree. Perhaps I would have only needed an overnight stay with oxygen, but I did need to be seen.  If I had my time again,  I would have driven myself to hospital and made sure I saw a Doctor. 

35 minutes ago, Just Dan said:

Reading into this further, I came across a couple of interesting articles and tweets.  The first was from Andrew Neil who claimed that he'd been told by someone well informed that at 10 days Covid 19 either gives up or has a proper go at you (as happened to me).

The other was an article that claimed the likelihood of you getting more than just mild symptoms had been associated with blood group, with group A being the hardest hit.  Not great for me being A Rh Neg. 

There have been several studies from hospitals using plasma donated from recovered patients being effective in treating the very ill but this need to be harvested within 28 days from your last symptoms.  I have emailed my local donor centre (Addenbrookes) and hope to be able to help in the coming weeks.

I am of the opinion that we are way further into this than anyone really knows and many more people have been infected without knowing.  Different drugs and treatments are showing promise and it is only a matter of time before we see the back of this.  But please take this seriously.  Had I have been 10 years older and a couple of stone heavier, I am convinced I would not be here now.

Look after yourselves fellow Canaries!

Glad you're getting over this Dan. And thanks for your thoughts as well as your offer to Addenbrookes. Well done man.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hillhead said:

I wonder if we will be wearing masks?

New York State requiring masks now and Merkel recommending them in Germany, 

"It is recommended that masks be used in public transport and while  shopping," Merkel told journalists after talks with regional leaders from Germany's 16 states.

According to Germany's Ministry of Health, wearing even a simple face mask could shield others from infection, especially as some people with coronavirus are not aware that they have the disease.

I feel sure we will. Certainly in supermarkets. It's already starting to happen up here where we live.