1 hour ago, pearsos said:

Forget about money for a minute and imagine what would happen if football was allowed to re-start and a player (or more than one) contracted the virus whilst playing, became ill and either died or passed it on to a family member who subsequently died.

Some things are far more important than money or football.

Exactly that.

To think that footballers will be tested before others is nonsense and the only way you can play any matches is when you know that every player and support member from every team has had it and therefore the risk is zero, until that happens anyone forcing football to take place for financial reasons will be responsible for deaths.

If the government stance is social distancing measures for months to come which is likely they are not going to remove those restrictions just for a game of football, its time to be realistic and realise they are just saying what everyone wants to hear.

If you look at what other countries are doing in terms of releasing lockdowns etc it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that an end of May/start of June restart could be possible. Whether it is behind closed doors is the issue - can most clubs afford to refund the season ticket holders/corporate box holders?

As for testing, anyone can buy tests online for about £250 each. Can't see that being a problem for the PL when otherwise they stand to lose over £700m in TV money.

Just suppose come end of June restrictions are lifted and you are allowed to attend matches, how many of you would go ?

17 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Just suppose come end of June restrictions are lifted and you are allowed to attend matches, how many of you would go ?

What year are we talking about?

On 13/04/2020 at 16:47, Crafty Canary said:

Will social distancing be obsetved by playerd during games?

If our Zonal marking is anything to go by, I'm confident it will be.

• Haha 1

Great responses all - but it really look dire ,without a vaccine for all its looks like the clubs going to really suffer has cannot see any time soon -well until mid next year that clubs can accept season ticket holders to attend the grounds. can anyone see city next season football taking place

Well, Parry of the EFL has written to all clubs asking them to prepare to train from 16 May and suggested that all 96 remaining games would be played behind closed doors with all kinds of live stream services. All of course subject to government advice. Article in the Independent.

6 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Well, Parry of the EFL has written to all clubs asking them to prepare to train from 16 May and suggested that all 96 remaining games would be played behind closed doors with all kinds of live stream services. All of course subject to government advice. Article in the Independent.

I’d wager quite substantially that within the first two weeks if that goes ahead  players will start coming down with the virus again. Also it’s working on the presumption that the social distancing will be massively relaxed to allow for the amount of  people to be involved in close proximity. That’s all before you address the problems of mass weekly testing of EVERYBODY involved. Won’t happen.

Edited by JF

On 14/04/2020 at 13:20, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Exactly that.

To think that footballers will be tested before others is nonsense and the only way you can play any matches is when you know that every player and support member from every team has had it and therefore the risk is zero, until that happens anyone forcing football to take place for financial reasons will be responsible for deaths.

If the government stance is social distancing measures for months to come which is likely they are not going to remove those restrictions just for a game of football, its time to be realistic and realise they are just saying what everyone wants to hear.

I don't even think they are saying what everyone wants to hear. My perception is that most fans would prefer them just to draw a line under it and void the season, except perhaps Liverpool fans and Leeds and WBA. I'm not sure there is any great clamour from fans to finish the season. Its coming from the clubs and the premier league itself. If Sky are, as alleged willing to not seek repayment of the monies then they should just do that deal, void this season and concentrate on trying to get arrangements in place so they can start next season vaguely on time. The players should be asked to take pay cuts over next season commensurate with the financial hit that clubs have to take. If they refuse and send their clubs to the wall then they are idiots. 

So when this behind closed doors happens will 30/40 people be able to congregate together in parks to play football?

It would show a complete disregard for the fans. Football is for the fans Corrie and EastEnders is for the tv.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think the "when it is safe to do so" statement is open to interpretation. Surely it couldn't ever be that for 100% of the players and support people involved.

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think the "when it is safe to do so" statement is open to interpretation. Surely it couldn't ever be that for 100% of the players and support people involved.

Just an attempt to string it out at the moment. Can't see it actually happening.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I don't even think they are saying what everyone wants to hear. My perception is that most fans would prefer them just to draw a line under it and void the season, except perhaps Liverpool fans and Leeds and WBA. I'm not sure there is any great clamour from fans to finish the season. Its coming from the clubs and the premier league itself. If Sky are, as alleged willing to not seek repayment of the monies then they should just do that deal, void this season and concentrate on trying to get arrangements in place so they can start next season vaguely on time. The players should be asked to take pay cuts over next season commensurate with the financial hit that clubs have to take. If they refuse and send their clubs to the wall then they are idiots. 

My impression at the moment is that the majority of the population just have bigger things to worry about right now than football. This message board aside, no-one's talking about it at work, Fantasy football is off, people are worried about their families, their jobs, how to pay the bills. Football is usually seen as an escape from the every day but without football people are finding other things to occupy themselves and all this talk about player wages etc is all just coming off as so negative and non-important that it's driving people even further away from their "love of football" as a whole.

I must admit that Wundaboy is right. In fact, many people I have spoken to, are laughing at football at the moment. They do not understand why they think it is so important or perhaps self important.

Of course it is a big sport and run like a business or loss making business and important in terms of money involved. But we would still follow NCFC if we put the U23's out. It is the club and nothing else comes close.

52 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I must admit that Wundaboy is right. In fact, many people I have spoken to, are laughing at football at the moment. They do not understand why they think it is so important or perhaps self important.

Of course it is a big sport and run like a business or loss making business and important in terms of money involved. But we would still follow NCFC if we put the U23's out. It is the club and nothing else comes close.

I agree also. When I said there was no great clamour for the season to finish I didn't mean there was a particular clamour for it to be voided either just that people are of the view that there are more important things to worry about in life and want a line drawn under this ridiculous debate over how the season should finish. they in the main don't really care. Football is showing a certain arrogance in my view thinking that how the premier league finishes is an important issue. 

Good old Jimbo..

Is it just the other posters on here who are arrogant or are you included in that?

Hope you're you and yours are safe and well buddy🙃

29 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Good old Jimbo..

Is it just the other posters on here who are arrogant or are you included in that?

Hope you're you and yours are safe and well buddy🙃

Not football fans Nutty, "football" as in the game.

3 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

So when this behind closed doors happens will 30/40 people be able to congregate together in parks to play football?

It would show a complete disregard for the fans. Football is for the fans Corrie and EastEnders is for the tv.

This sums it up for me. When my son can go back to primary school and play with his friends with no social distancing measures in place is when sports like football and rugby can start again.

29 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Not football fans Nutty, "football" as in the game.

OK, because it's been a hot topic on here since it closed down. I guess it is important to football fans. And our lives. I miss the football but wouldn't prefer people died so I could have it. Just like RIP Norman Hunter doesn't mean he's more important than a dozen people in a care home. I think, for the sake of everyone and football's reputation they should make a decision. But, as dear old Maggie might say, they're frit of the monster they created.

Edited by nutty nigel

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

. But we would still follow NCFC if we put the U23's out. It is the club and nothing else comes close.

This is the only thing that matters in the final analysis.👍

When it’s safe for every team whatever age or standard to start playing football again that is when the premier league should start also.It can only be greed that makes anyone else think differently.

• Like 2

Telegraph are reporting that clubs have been told that next season must start by the first week in September. 

1 hour ago, JF said:

Telegraph are reporting that clubs have been told that next season must start by the first week in September. 

Leaving aside the usual caveats that there may not be a next season, the first weekend of September would make sense. It would get the EPL roughly in line with the other major European leagues and enable the transfer window to run all the way through August, unlike this season when continental clubs were still able to do business after the UK deadline.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Leaving aside the usual caveats that there may not be a next season, the first weekend of September would make sense. It would get the EPL roughly in line with the other major European leagues and enable the transfer window to run all the way through August, unlike this season when continental clubs were still able to do business after the UK deadline.

Not sure if this has been posted on here but any hopes of the bundesliga restarting soon appears to have been dashed.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/bundesliga-restart-date-coronavirus-postponement-bayern-munich-a9468401.html

8 minutes ago, Van wink said:

They recently started training again

Looks like there’s no prospect of playing matches in Germany even behind closed doors for several months at the earliest 

Extending the ban on large gatherings in Germany to the end of August has threatened football officials’ aim of restarting the Bundesliga in May without spectators.

Chancellor Angela Merkel‘s announcement on Wednesday, maintaining gatherings of no more than two people in public to try and contain the coronavirus, also ensures that the next Bundesliga season cannot begin as planned in August.

After talks between Merkel and the 16 state governors about easing restrictions, Bavaria’s Markus Soder said the “Bundesliga wasn’t an issue,” meaning they have far bigger priorities than football.

The Bundesliga, last played on 11 March, was hoping to resume in May without spectators, but the number of people needed at venues — two teams, substitutes, coaches, medical staff, security to ensure fans stay away — means even games in almost empty stadiums look like a tall order.

Complicating the issue for the German football league (DFL) is that each of the country’s 16 states can set their own conditions. It’s very likely they will differ, meaning some games could be allowed and others not.

Read more

German soccer federation president Fritz Keller is expecting momentous fallout.

“I don’t think the landscape in soccer will be the same after the corona crisis,” Keller said last week. “We’re going to miss a few (clubs), and I think that the longer it continues, the more bankruptcies we’re going to have in professional soccer.”

Schalke and Paderborn in the Bundesliga are reportedly facing insolvency, while Kicker magazine says 13 clubs in the second division are also under existential threat if a delayed installment payment for television rights is not made to the DFL.

The magazine reports that Sky, DAZN and ARD missed a payment of 304 million euros ($331 million) — the last of four installments for TV rights for the two divisions — to the league on April 10, but the broadcasters have agreed to pay on May 2.

loader_100x100.gif

“We can manage another one or two months, but then we’re out of air,” Paderborn managing director Martin Przondziono told broadcaster Sport1. “If the TV money doesn’t come, it will be tight for us.”

Watch more

Schalke has made no secret of its financial problems caused by the pandemic despite a sponsorship arrangement with Russian energy giant Gazprom reportedly worth 30 million euros per season. Schalke communications director Alexander Jobst last month asked holders of boxes in the stadium to waive partial repayment for the club’s last home games.

“It’s about existence!” Jobst wrote in an email on 17 March.

Schalke finance director Peter Peters warned club fans this week that its situation was precarious.

“We’re trying to reduce costs, have reduced employees’ working hours and agreed wage cuts with the players,” Peters said on Facebook. “But of course everything depends on when we can take in income and play football again.”

The clubs are to meet again on 23 April to discuss how they can end the season as planned by 30 June. As of Thursday, Germany had nearly 135,000 registered cases of Covid-19, with 3,804 deaths attributed to the disease, according to Johns Hopkins University.

Edited by JF

As expected JF 👍. I'm afraid many have got carried away with the idea of completing the season without understanding the predicament we are in.

This sums it up

"After talks between Merkel and the 16 state governors about easing restrictions, Bavaria’s Markus Soder said the “Bundesliga wasn’t an issue,” meaning they have far bigger priorities than football."

Edited by Van wink