Clubs in Premiership considering playing behind closed doors this could be the new normal-cannot see in the near future the government allowing large group gatherings. so this could  be the end of seeing anyone but the players and ground crew at Carrow road this year - thus will be interesting to see the long term outlook for football clubs🕵️‍♀️

3 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Will social distancing be obsetved by playerd during games?

Our defence been doing this all season.!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

Clubs in Premiership considering playing behind closed doors this could be the new normal-cannot see in the near future the government allowing large group gatherings. so this could  be the end of seeing anyone but the players and ground crew at Carrow road this year - thus will be interesting to see the long term outlook for football clubs🕵️‍♀️

This has pretty much been the accepted position for weeks, so as to get the season finished - the need there is to try to get the TV money paid so as to stop football in the UK financially collapsing like a line of dominos

There will be a need to allow some form of 'normality' to resume, if only to ensure goods are produced.

I would expect that by mid August the treatment rate would be equal to the facilities to cope with it. As to put it bluntly those who were fatally susceptical to this will have already passed on. It is not the numbers with the virus, or the numbers dying that is causing the problem - but gthose requiring treatment.  both the former can be coped with, as awful as those comments sound, and the make maximum use of the healthcare facilities there needs to be a steady flow of those needing treatment .....on the basis that it is a one off for each one.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Indy said:

Our defence been doing this all season.!

Oi!!! I made and copyrighted that social-distancing joke about our defence at least three weeks ago!

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Haha 1

So will the government lift the social distancing law for football games if so then the law should be lifted for other gatherings

will not understand how it will be allowed

13 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Oi!!! I made and copyrighted that social-distancing joke about our defence at least three weeks ago!

Whoops, ok I’ll pay you royalties!

• Haha 1

Football as we know it is very likely finished. There looks to be no chance of fans attending matches until there is a vaccine and many clubs simply won’t survive. I see absolutely no chance of these matches being completed behind closed doors as it’s inevitable that even if they are allowed to try, players will come down with the virus again 

• Thanks 1

I do find the ‘we have to play to keep the integrity of the game’ angle rather rubbish: fundamentally, the game is for the supporter/spectator and for me playing behind closed doors takes away the integrity of the game before it even starts. 

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I do find the ‘we have to play to keep the integrity of the game’ angle rather rubbish: fundamentally, the game is for the supporter/spectator and for me playing behind closed doors takes away the integrity of the game before it even starts. 

Exactly. They have apparently talked about completing games in an incredibly short time scale at a neutral venue. How is that keeping the ‘integrity of the game’? Any home advantage in front of fans is lost when throughout the rest of the season it was there for the reverse fixtures and players will pick up far more injuries cramming the games in

13 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Thye are hardly likely to say that they are so far in hock that they have to receive the TV money however it is done.

Playing two games a week should hardly kill the poor souls and it will be the same for every team - much the same level happens at international tournaments.

The home/away question alaso applies to all so it is swings and roundabouts

And given the money involved players will be tested well before each game, as clubs will not want their players infecting fellow squad ,members, never mind anyone else

16 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I suppose we should really include players as well as supporters but I can't imagine many of them are keen to play behind closed doors either.

Even for TV viewers it will be a pretty dire spectacle, and if it is true that there is a deal to be made with the TV companies for them to recoup their lost games this season with extra games next, or whatever, then the idea of playing games behind closed doors looks even more ridiculous than it did originally.

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

For the remainder of this season it will disadvantage some.

16 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

no where near not having the money to pay player wages

14 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

FA offers Wembley and St. George's Park to complete season

Sorry about the paywall, but the readable bit tells you the "story". No home and away 

Several games a day, imagine the state of the pitch, especially if there is a summer storm....let alone all the issues with distancing etc 

25 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

FA offers Wembley and St. George's Park to complete season

Sorry about the paywall, but the readable bit tells you the "story". No home and away 

Several games a day, imagine the state of the pitch, especially if there is a summer storm....let alone all the issues with distancing etc 

Well I hope they are going to ban players from spitting or breathing too heavily. The prospect of testing players just so they can play football when we can't even test frontline NHS staff does not still well with me. But then they run the same risk, if not less, than someone going to a supermarket, so I wouldn't waste testing resources on them.

Edited by Capt. Pants
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Thye are hardly likely to say that they are so far in hock that they have to receive the TV money however it is done.

Playing two games a week should hardly kill the poor souls and it will be the same for every team - much the same level happens at international tournaments.

And given the money involved players will be tested well before each game, as clubs will not want their players infecting fellow squad ,members, never mind anyone else

I’d rather our NHS staff were tested before a load of footballers 

3 hours ago, Robert Barnes said:

So will the government lift the social distancing law for football games if so then the law should be lifted for other gatherings

will not understand how it will be allowed

I imagine if they did somehow get dispensation there would be uproar, people can’t attend funerals but players are allowed a pass on 2m distancing?

The only way this happens is surely alongside a major relaxation of the current rules which seems unlikely for a while yet.

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 1

When your average Sunday side can have a kick around on the park then professional footballers can have a kick around too. Not before.

• Like 1

Schools will go back at the beginning of June is my estimate and then there will be a phased return to work but I cant see football being allowed to be played until August.

7 hours ago, Bill said:

those who were fatally susceptical to this will have already passed on

And there is the problem the government have in their message. Either they are not getting the message over or some people simply don't listen. Two things:-

1. This virus attacks everyone - people who are not "susceptible" are dying every day.

2. If we call those with existing health conditions or who are over 65  as "susceptible" people, there are about 15 million of them in the UK. If they all die before mid-August the entire country will be in some kind of Mad Max dystopian uproar. Football will be the last thing we care about.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bill said:

I would expect that by mid August the treatment rate would be equal to the facilities to cope with it. As to put it bluntly those who were fatally susceptical to this will have already passed on. 

You’ve clearly got a good grasp of this😳 

As UK estimating only 4pc of UK infected then this has a long way to run. German scientific group which has been widely supported by politicians says makes sense to have closed doors until vaccine is available.  Closed door timing open at the moment. 

One aspect of this is how the financial threat that would supposedly force the season to be completed has dissipated. Until a week or so back it was all about Sky et al threatening to demand back £762m  if the remaining matches were not played.

Sky etc started to downplay that, seemingly for two connected reasons. That if it played nice over this season it would strengthen its hand over getting more matches next season. And the unstated fear that its bargaining position would be weaker anyway, since armchair fans would turn to  alternative means of getting to watch live matches.

Now the financial problem being stressed is that clubs will have to reimbuse many millions to season ticket-holders and corporate clients, on the obvious assumption that the only way the season can be finished is behind closed doors, with the only realistic alternative being the season being voided, in which case the clubs would still have to cough up.

Edited by PurpleCanary

Forget about money for a minute and imagine what would happen if football was allowed to re-start and a player (or more than one) contracted the virus whilst playing, became ill and either died or passed it on to a family member who subsequently died.

Some things are far more important than money or football.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1