Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Codger's quiz..

2 hours ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

Great photo of the lovely Ken - lives in our village and always stops for a chat.  Remember being at the Civic reception at City Hall after we won the Milk Cup and he was the last person to leave and happy to chat to all us fans until the cows came home.

Ken's a real legend! He was an honorary PUP at the Rays Funds presentation a few years ago at Colney. He still called me 'boy' even though he stood there with my grandson 🙃

Still On The Ball remembers on this day for 21st April 1956…
The Canaries won 5-2 at Southampton with goals from Ralph Hunt (2), Johnny Gavin (2) and Peter Gordon (1). As a Portsmouth boy I bet Ralph enjoyed that win!
In that 1955/56 Ralph Hunt was the club's top-scorer with 33 goals, which remains a club record.
I met Ralph’s daughter Ashley at Christmas time last year and she came to SOTB earlier this year to share memories of her Dad.
The record books say Ralph Hunt scored 31 league goals and 2 FA Cup goals but Ashley showed us a silver salver presented to him that says he scored 34 goals that season. Ashley also showed us a letter sent to him from Percy Varco whose goal-scoring record he beat. It said “I note with interest you beat the club goal record held by me since 1927-28. I would like to congratulate you and wish you even better shooting next season. Perhaps I may have the pleasure of meeting you.”
Ralph scored 67 goals in 124 games for City before moving to Derby in 1958. He later played for many more clubs finishing with 184 goals in 374 games before his tragic death in a head on collision in 1964 when he was 31.

Pictured are the three goal scorers and the team photo for that season. How many can you name?

Edited by nutty nigel

9 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Still On The Ball remembers on this day for 21st April 1956…
The Canaries won 5-2 at Southampton with goals from Ralph Hunt (2), Johnny Gavin (2) and Peter Gordon (1). As a Portsmouth boy I bet Ralph enjoyed that win!
In that 1955/56 Ralph Hunt was the club's top-scorer with 33 goals, which remains a club record.
I met Ralph’s daughter Ashley at Christmas time last year and she came to SOTB earlier this year to share memories of her Dad.
The record books say Ralph Hunt scored 31 league goals and 2 FA Cup goals but Ashley showed us a silver salver presented to him that says he scored 34 goals that season. Ashley also showed us a letter sent to him from Percy Varco whose goal-scoring record he beat. It said “I note with interest you beat the club goal record held by me since 1927-28. I would like to congratulate you and wish you even better shooting next season. Perhaps I may have the pleasure of meeting you.”
Ralph scored 67 goals in 124 games for City before moving to Derby in 1958. He later played for many more clubs finishing with 184 goals in 374 games before his tragic death in a head on collision in 1964 when he was 31.

1834206799_RalphHunt.thumb.jpg.029a6349d624256bea9e9d912b4e4ac4.jpgJohnny_Gavin_OTBC_photo_600.thumb.jpg.3075f2e0a46a0c3341e854758c29a589.jpg1452079862_PeterGordon.thumb.jpg.ec7e7c3c9f0ae8c470b2e9b841967e3a.jpg718847759_NorwichCity1955-56nonames.thumb.jpg.649ad909868d7ddc76cfdd76247c223a.jpg

Pictured are the three goal scorers and the team photo for that season. How many can you name?

Apart from two of the goalscorers, top left and centre and right seated.

I have one very vivid memory of that season Nutty, probably because it was one of those rare occasions when my dad took me as he couldn't go to Saturday games because of work. It was in the days when teams played each other on consecutive days over Xmas. We were playing Orient who were top of the league and had drawn 2-2 at Brisbane Rd on Boxing Day. On the following day (27th) my dad took me in the Enclosure that ran along the front of the old wooden main stand. There was a massive crowd of over 30k and I stood right at the front which was slightly below pitch level. In fact wingers would often come over the rail if the full backs hit them too hard😀 We were 0-2 down at half time but drew 2-2 thanks to goals from Ronnie Bacon and Flash Gordon. (both are in that photo, top row, 2nd and 4th from the left.) Happy days and sweet memories.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 1

This makes me feel so old, but I have to admit having played football alongside Peter Gordon. I started work in the late 1970's for Willis Faber, a large insurance brokers in Ipswich. Peter worked in Aviation and was still holding down a place in the company football team which played in a local league and entered some (then) prestigious industry cup competitions. (There were a lot of semi-pro's and ex-pro's in insurance. Players from Enfield and Wimbledon and the like). Peter was also on the committee which ran the company's sports and social club.   

Peter was always happy to let others take the limelight. At that time he would have been well into his forties but on the pitch he could still deliver and possessed the best body-swerve I had ever seen. He could literally have everyone going with him in one direction, almost imperceptibly drop his shoulder and go the other way before anyone spotted it. I first time I saw it I just thought 'that is class exemplified'. I tried to emulate it, without any success. To him it was just natural and at that level of football it always worked. He still played in the attacking areas on the left of the pitch and trained as hard as anyone.

Sadly, Peter died very early after living his last years in a village just off the A140, near Ipswich. I remember him as a quiet and modest man.

Edited by Pugin
  • Like 2

Seeing Bobby Brennan there. Would any modern footballer leave a club playing league football, drop right down to local football then go back to the same league club and score a goal in an FA Cup semi final?

Went to the CNS with his son Colin who was a very good player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Seeing Bobby Brennan there. Would any modern footballer leave a club playing league football, drop right down to local football then go back to the same league club and score a goal in an FA Cup semi final?

Went to the CNS with his son Colin who was a very good player.

He was master of the nutmeg. The crowd used to roar when he did it to a fullback.😀

• Like 1

Great memories that fit in with the memories people share at Still On The Ball. The 50s is way too early for me but the memories bring reality to the facts. They help for later SOTB sessions too.

I had a lovely surprise this afternoon when I got a message from Ralph Hunt's younger brother Lester asking if he could share my post on a forum in Portsmouth. 

Here's the photo with the names...

Edited by nutty nigel

11 minutes ago, ricardo said:

All winners of player of the season trophy.

Yes but a bit more to make it unique...

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Yes but a bit more to make it unique...

They were the first four winners.

23 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

That's the one Tilly👍

Rickyyyyy did all the hard work and you had a tap in. Tilly MacDougal🙃

I thought the answer was that Tangie knew how much Watling walleted from their transfers...

• Haha 1

60 years ago today, 27th April 1960....

Can you name them all...

Edited by nutty nigel

This is what the late great Arrdee told us about Bunny Larkin...

Bunny Larkins torn shorts , I promised to tell you this story , and here it is , remember i don''t make things up and i don''t tell lies , this is exactly as it was , I must have been about 13 judging were i was on the wall , the low wall that ran along the front of the main stand , there was a pecking order that i will tell you about and how it worked in a later post , I must have been 5th or 6th from the tunnel which was as far as i got , we were like fledglings ready to fly the nest .

From the start of that season we had this party of supporters that would arrive at 2 -45 consisting of a mother , her great big son and 3 or 4 of their drinking mates , you could smell the drink from 20 yds , they always stood just behind us , plenty of room in those days , now mum  always looked as if she had just finished having 20 throws on the box (dice) and had won more than she had lost , the outstanding thing about her was her illfitting dentures they use to drop down every time she opened her mouth , No dentist could have made them for her , i am sure she was looking after them for someone , either that or her regular partner on the box was her dentist,  that would explain it , She would stand behind her son a step or two up hook her chin over his shoulder put her arms round his belly (that took some doing )he would clasp her hands and then say "cumfy mum" ?"ummmmm"and the old girl would be asleep . I dubbed him"  cumfy" as you would know .

Us boys would be sitting on the wall looking out over the pitch as they arrived waiting with baited breath "cumfy mum"? "ummmmm" we would explode in laughter .Often cumfy would shout" gather round boys i want to make water" this they would achive useing a pint mug bending down pouring it out on the steps  this cut out the splash i suppose ,they always left the mug behind sitting on the steps after the match  always full , Quite how cumfy managed with his hands clasping mums i don''t know , perhaps one of his mates helped him ,i would rather not think about it

When Bunny tore his shorts he made a good job of it , from top to bottom , the plan was to turn Bunny round in a record time , the new shorts were ready , the towels were ready they called Bunny off showing all his thigh  i heard this cackling coming from behind me the old girl was awake , making a fist and raising her arm up and down in that age old gesture of sexual arousel ,

The first part of the plan went like clockwork  the old shorts were gone , now this is were things went wrong the right leg went through alright however the left one got caught up the trainers were trying to pull them up Bunny was trying to pull them down to have a fresh start , the trainers seem to win the battle as his studs appeared through the crotch of his shorts followed by his toe , Bunny was by this time irate swearing at the top of his voice , the two with towels were dancing and side stepping trying to keep Bunny covered ,they were like two matadors with an enraged bull on their hands , it was getting like the Hay market out there as more people tried to help only adding to the confusion, mum had got on to a squeal by this time , arm pumping like a piston , i was twisting on my perch watching the old girl twisting back to see Bunny this was rich fare indeed , and then it happened  Bunny crashed into one of the matadors down went the towel and there was Bunny in all his glory , there was uproar at this point mum cracked "get out of the way you fat cumfy " that is not the word she used but thats as close as i can get on the board  ,she knocked cumfy and his mates flying the laughter on my face turned to horror  as i realised she was heading straight at me ,the old girl was moving like air , i opened my mouth to shout a warning but nothing came out ,her knee hit me in the back as she tried to haul herself over the bar above our heads but mum was spent she collapsed over the rail and hung there like a wet blanket expelling wind from every orifice , just above my head i might add , she promptly reguritated down a boys back about two pints of Watneys best laced with ,now listen, about a pint of cockles that had not even been champed they were pristine you could have picked them off his back and re-sold them , her top set landed at my feet ,i don''t know how i was not sick , cumfy came and unwound her ,snatching up her teeth saying "look out boy these are mums" that should have confirmed that her dentist was her regular partner on the box , but thinking about it he would hardly have said"look out boy these are the next door neighbours"would he ? he kept asking mum what had happened and looking around to see if he could find a culprit responsible for mums strange behaviour

.Bunny had performed the first ever male lap top dance and had driven the old girl insane, i don''t think the journey was very far though .

Every thing settled down we went back to watching dire mid table 2nd div  football,  the boy two down moaning about the state of his alcohol shellfish stained jacket , mum no doubt dreaming of Bunnys finer points , cumfy still looking for someone to blame and making water every so often ,as for  me i was  thinking i have got to  get out of this place i have ended up in a hellhole of alcohol and urine ,this was the nudge i needed ,the shaking of the nest if you will , i was flying .

After the match i always tried to have a word with the players as they came off , some would not give you the time of day Bunny would always have a word , this match a woman said "Bunny you could have saved my blushes if you had changed your shorts down the tunnel "Bunny always with the quick quip said" Haven''t you seen a good cxxx ,bxxxs, and axxx, before"?

Well i don''t think anyone would seen them any more if cumfys mum had got her hands on them , but perhaps the damage would not have been too  great because i am sure she would lost her teeth before she got to Bunnys vitals...