Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Codger's quiz..

FB_IMG_1586811083644.thumb.jpg.432f9340a1a8fb4181feb704526ccccb.jpg

Kenny Foggo on the wing, Super Sub TrevorHoward, Sick Note Gerry Howshall, Local Hero Dave Stringer, The Greatest, Silky Terry Anderson, Geoff I hate you Butler

Neil Jock O'Donnell, Come on without John Manning, Ken pass me a whisky Mallender, Hughie for Scotland Curran, Keep your voice down to a roar Dunc.

I think I can do the crowd behind but their addresses might be beyond me.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yes, and it is O'Donnell. He must have been very young and starting out in the first team when that pic was taken. The goal was away at St Johnstone. And now having peeped I know the identity of the player between Howard and Stringer. Not easy.

You must mean the chap bought for £40,000 given by the Supporters Club who signed on at The Norwood Rooms ?

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

You must mean the chap bought for £40,000 given by the Supporters Club who signed on at The Norwood Rooms ?

I remember being quite excited when he signed. He always seemed to get good marks in the Sunday papers for West Brom. A consistent 7or8/10.

63/64 squa I think prior to the signing of Ron Davies & after sale of Burton & Hill. Can name them all but will won’t spoil it for others

Edited by Year of the tiger

For starters Nutty...Kelly, Thurlow, Hill, Butler, Keelan, ?, Sharpe, Mullett.

?, ?, Conway, Allcock, Oliver, Punton.

Bryceland, Bell.

11 hours ago, Year of the tiger said:

The question marks are back row Colin Metcalfe

front row Alistair Miller & Gerry Mannion

In fairness you are older than me. 😂 Mind you i should have got Gerry Mannion.

The old colours with black shorts. Definitely think the green ones have improved the overall scheme. If I remember much about that season I think it was a pretty poor one. Just two I cannot get but could guess at Ron Barnes and Ken Hill

Back Row....Stringer, Bolland, Brown, Keelan, Allcock, Mullett, Curran.

Front Row.... Lucas, Kenning, Heath, Sheffield, Bryceland, Anderson.

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Here's another one from the sixties...

1110186184_1967photo.jpg.1b69013f36dae6108b314d0485a578c4.jpg

One of my favourite players from that era there, one in from the left, back row, and I always thought far left sitting down was underrated.

21 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

One of my favourite players from that era there, one in from the left, back row, and I always thought far left sitting down was underrated.

The one far left sitting down was not much taller standing up Purple. 😛

• Haha 1

One of the "On This Day' entries for today is 16th April 1969 when Derby beat us 4-1 at Carrow Road. The entry focuses on after the game when Lol Morgan was asked to resign. The reasons stated in this book were "having made several big money signings in his three years in charge, including Duncan Forbes, Geoff Butler and Ken Mallender Morgan could only take his side to the middle of the second division table."

Now, other managers got more out of two of these players, but Duncan Forbes signing for £10,000 must be one of the bargains of the century!

Anyway I remember that game because it was the first evening game I went to. We gave Brian Clough's Derby a guard of honour when they entered the field as they were already promoted. They proceeded to absolutely demolish us in a way i'd never seen before from a visiting team. They really were that good. We weren't though....

Their team was Green, Webster, MacFarland, Mackay, Robson, Carlin, McGovern, Hinton, Wignall, Hector, O’Hare

Ours Vasper, Stringer, Payne, Lucas, Forbes, Anderson, Foggo, Bryceland, Allcock, O’Donnell, Howard

Half that team became part of the Ron Saunders revolution.

35 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

One of the "On This Day' entries for today is 16th April 1969 when Derby beat us 4-1 at Carrow Road. The entry focuses on after the game when Lol Morgan was asked to resign. The reasons stated in this book were "having made several big money signings in his three years in charge, including Duncan Forbes, Geoff Butler and Ken Mallender Morgan could only take his side to the middle of the second division table."

Now, other managers got more out of two of these players, but Duncan Forbes signing for £10,000 must be one of the bargains of the century!

Anyway I remember that game because it was the first evening game I went to. We gave Brian Clough's Derby a guard of honour when they entered the field as they were already promoted. They proceeded to absolutely demolish us in a way i'd never seen before from a visiting team. They really were that good. We weren't though....

Their team was Green, Webster, MacFarland, Mackay, Robson, Carlin, McGovern, Hinton, Wignall, Hector, O’Hare

Ours Vasper, Stringer, Payne, Lucas, Forbes, Anderson, Foggo, Bryceland, Allcock, O’Donnell, Howard

Yes. We were totally outclassed. With the extra insult that we'd tried to sign Hector from Bradford Park Avenue and he'd chosen Derby County.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

My father-in-law used to reminisce about this game. He recalls us not getting anywhere near Derby that night and MacKay ran the show from the centre circle pinging passes left, right and centre.

Also, going back to the 'keepers, he was rather unkind about Peter Vasper, likening him to a sack of spuds.

Edited by Drazen Muzinic

Only just got back on this thread and missed the post about that 4-1 hammering.

I was stood to the right side of the goal at the Barclay that night and witnessed a team that introduced a new style of play for the 2nd Division. 

We had hammered them at home in the Cup in 1967. We had taken a win and draw off them them the season after. And we had drawn at the Baseball Ground. We knew they were good but under Clough they had mesmerised us.

And I forgot to add that we were better away from home that season. Beat Birmingham away from home opening game and Tuesday night lost 2-0 at home to Middlesboro who had two sent off!

One of my favourite memories of that season was Easter Monday when Terry Allcock played his first game for a long time and first at centre forward for years. We beat Huddersfield 1-0 and it was the Count who scored it. We'd lost Hughie Curran but the Barclay sang Terry Terry la la la...

And then I went on the fair and saw Rona the rat girl...

🙃

On 16/04/2020 at 19:22, Drazen Muzinic said:

My father-in-law used to reminisce about this game. He recalls us not getting anywhere near Derby that night and MacKay ran the show from the centre circle pinging passes left, right and centre.

Also, going back to the 'keepers, he was rather unkind about Peter Vasper, likening him to a sack of spuds.

Apart from that Greek bloke, Vasper was the worst I’ve ever seen “ clap hands here comes Vasper “

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

One of my favourite memories of that season was Easter Monday when Terry Allcock played his first game for a long time and first at centre forward for years. We beat Huddersfield 1-0 and it was the Count who scored it. We'd lost Hughie Curran but the Barclay sang Terry Terry la la la...

And then I went on the fair and saw Rona the rat girl...

🙃

I remember the rat girl. We had been in to see her and took the mick and bumped into one or two married men we knew and took the mick even more.

We went back again and some of the dirty old beggars were in there again.

39 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

We went back again and some of the dirty old beggars were in there again.

If just like to point out I was 12 and only went in once....

🙃🙃

Legend Ken Brown with two players he signed in the summer of 1984. One's easy, one not so...

Edited by nutty nigel

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Legend Ken Brown with two players he signed in the summer of 1984. One's easy, one not so...

487335156_NewsigningsGaryRowellSteveBrucewithKenBrown.thumb.jpg.0376ec6fd12c58846ec25536fbaca224.jpg

Gary Rowell and Steve Bruce.

I seem to remember being well pleased we signed Gary Rowell. He'd been a top player, goal scoring winger, for Sunderland but got injured here after scoring in his first reserve game but got injured and only played a couple of games for us.

What gets me is how I can remember every single players name from the 68-69 photo and most of the others in the other team photos but ask me who we had in midfield in 2007 and I wouldn't have a scooby-doo!!!! BTW someone mentioned Peter Vasper as being the worst keeper he has seen apart from Greek Theo - my personal 2nd worst keeper is Simon Tracey, particularly for his performance away at Goodison in the FA Cup!

• Like 1

On 19/04/2020 at 17:51, TIL 1010 said:

Gary Rowell and Steve Bruce.

Great photo of the lovely Ken - lives in our village and always stops for a chat.  Remember being at the Civic reception at City Hall after we won the Milk Cup and he was the last person to leave and happy to chat to all us fans until the cows came home.