Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
York Canary

Nostalgia thread - what do you miss about supporting Norwich City?

Recommended Posts

I'm a sucker for nostalgia and all things the past. With that in mind I want to know the things you miss about supporting Norwich.

This doesn't necessarily mean you prefer the alternative that the present has given us, for example I miss the old South Stand because of how bad it was, but I know The Jarrold Stand is a massive upgrade!

List of things I miss from the past:

  • The hard work put into finding transfer rumours when the internet was in its infancy 
  • Getting SMS updates of goals (used to subscribe to 88442, those texts would make or break my week)
  • 1-3 month loan deals, they just don't happen anymore
  • Roy Waller's Radio Norfolk commentary
  • Yellow nets 
  • Biking to my local newsagents to pick up a fresh copy of The Pink'un 2 hours after the final whistle was blown

 

 

Loads of others and I appreciate as a near 30 year old my nostalgia period is a relatively short one, but keen to hear yours too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one these days could ever understand how important the Pink 'Un and Match of the Day were on a Saturday night. 

I miss standing, and crowd surges, and the sheer volume of noise on closely packed terracing.

I also miss the days when supporters were more empathetic with players - one of my first CR games was vs Portsmouth, who included Ken Foggo in their ranks. A large section of the Barclay singing 'Bring back my Foggo to me'  to the tune of Bobby Shafto. The sheer emotion made such an impression on me. Kinder days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In pre-all seater stadium times, being pitchside in the ground at 2.30 on a Saturday afternoon and feeling the atmosphere build over half an hour.  Whenever I go to a match, I still always get to my place half an hour before kick off and even after twenty five years since all seater staiums came in, I can't understand why people leave it till one two minutes to kick off to get to their seats.  If you can't remember pre-all seater stadium times, you won't understand, but it made that last half hour before every home match special. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buying the Pinkun on the bridge just 20 minutes after the match finished. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all this time on my hands I have been writing chapter 2  of my recollections from the old days.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

With all this time on my hands I have been writing chapter 2  of my recollections from the old days.

You should include some passages from your match reports from last season with those amazing finishes and what it felt like. Those have lasted in my memory.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sonyc said:

You should include some passages from your match reports from last season with those amazing finishes and what it felt like. Those have lasted in my memory.

I think I might have to get to chapter 99 for that😀

So far I'm only up to 1957😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I think I might have to get to chapter 99 for that😀

So far I'm only up to 1957😂

Work backwards? 😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Pugin said:

No one these days could ever understand how important the Pink 'Un and Match of the Day were on a Saturday night. 

I miss standing, and crowd surges, and the sheer volume of noise on closely packed terracing.

I also miss the days when supporters were more empathetic with players - one of my first CR games was vs Portsmouth, who included Ken Foggo in their ranks. A large section of the Barclay singing 'Bring back my Foggo to me'  to the tune of Bobby Shafto. The sheer emotion made such an impression on me. Kinder days.

Do you mean to the tune of ‘My bonnie lies over the ocean’?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Pugin said:

No one these days could ever understand how important the Pink 'Un and Match of the Day were on a Saturday night. 

I miss standing, and crowd surges, and the sheer volume of noise on closely packed terracing.

I also miss the days when supporters were more empathetic with players - one of my first CR games was vs Portsmouth, who included Ken Foggo in their ranks. A large section of the Barclay singing 'Bring back my Foggo to me'  to the tune of Bobby Shafto. The sheer emotion made such an impression on me. Kinder days.

I'd forgotten about Kenny coming back with Pompey. Thanks for bringing that memory back. 

I miss walking up the steps at the back of the Barclay, the men in white coats and the blue bubble cars. 

Most of all I miss On The Ball City being sung properly 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Work backwards? 😉

Work back from that incredible season which was made null and void 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Walking down King Street and seeing the ground over the river (before the flats, corner stand and perhaps even before the new River end). Use to send a tingle up my spine.

The excitement of the old standing Barclay. Singing songs such as 'you're going home in a Norfolk ambulace' and you're going to get your f£9&in6 head kicked in' to all the away support whilst at the same time as a young teenager preying they don't get hold of me at full time. Those were the days!

The eventual, long waited arrival of the pink un being available.

 

Edited by East Rider
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, East Rider said:

Walking down King Street and seeing the ground over the river (before the flats, corner stand and perhaps even before the new River end). Use to send a tingle up my spine.

The excitement of the old standing Barclay. Singing songs such as 'you're going home in a Norfolk ambulace' and you're going to get your f£9&in6 head kicked in' to all the away support whilst at the same time as a young teenager preying they don't get hold of me at full time. Those were the days!

The eventual, long waited arrival of the pink un being available.

 

I can relate to that. Snowflakes and political correctness has made the modern game and matchday experience far more sterile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, York Canary said:

I'm a sucker for nostalgia and all things the past. With that in mind I want to know the things you miss about supporting Norwich.

This doesn't necessarily mean you prefer the alternative that the present has given us, for example I miss the old South Stand because of how bad it was, but I know The Jarrold Stand is a massive upgrade!

List of things I miss from the past:

  • The hard work put into finding transfer rumours when the internet was in its infancy 
  • Getting SMS updates of goals (used to subscribe to 88442, those texts would make or break my week)
  • 1-3 month loan deals, they just don't happen anymore
  • Roy Waller's Radio Norfolk commentary
  • Yellow nets 
  • Biking to my local newsagents to pick up a fresh copy of The Pink'un 2 hours after the final whistle was blown

 

 

Loads of others and I appreciate as a near 30 year old my nostalgia period is a relatively short one, but keen to hear yours too.

Top division stability

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never being cold once the game starts.  It can be minus 5 but as soon as the ball is kicked then I'm  oblivious.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The atmosphere on the terraces in the 70s/80s was pretty exciting although the undercurrent of mindless violence, racism and sexism is something that I certainly don’t miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Do you remember when we had a 502 Gateway error?

There is only one way to avoid it. Stay indoors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I can relate to that. Snowflakes and political correctness has made the modern game and matchday experience far more sterile. 

Ah yes. The disappearance of senseless violence at football matches is so disappointing 🙄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It doesn't smell the same any more. What was that smell in the Barclay? 

 

 

18 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It doesn't smell the same any more. What was that smell in the Barclay? 

 

Body odour, urine and tobacco ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...