Sign in to follow this  
York Canary

Nostalgia thread - what do you miss about supporting Norwich City?

I'm a sucker for nostalgia and all things the past. With that in mind I want to know the things you miss about supporting Norwich.

This doesn't necessarily mean you prefer the alternative that the present has given us, for example I miss the old South Stand because of how bad it was, but I know The Jarrold Stand is a massive upgrade!

List of things I miss from the past:

• The hard work put into finding transfer rumours when the internet was in its infancy 
  • Getting SMS updates of goals (used to subscribe to 88442, those texts would make or break my week)
  • 1-3 month loan deals, they just don't happen anymore
  • Roy Waller's Radio Norfolk commentary
  • Yellow nets 
  • Biking to my local newsagents to pick up a fresh copy of The Pink'un 2 hours after the final whistle was blown

Loads of others and I appreciate as a near 30 year old my nostalgia period is a relatively short one, but keen to hear yours too.

No one these days could ever understand how important the Pink 'Un and Match of the Day were on a Saturday night. 

I miss standing, and crowd surges, and the sheer volume of noise on closely packed terracing.

I also miss the days when supporters were more empathetic with players - one of my first CR games was vs Portsmouth, who included Ken Foggo in their ranks. A large section of the Barclay singing 'Bring back my Foggo to me'  to the tune of Bobby Shafto. The sheer emotion made such an impression on me. Kinder days.

In pre-all seater stadium times, being pitchside in the ground at 2.30 on a Saturday afternoon and feeling the atmosphere build over half an hour.  Whenever I go to a match, I still always get to my place half an hour before kick off and even after twenty five years since all seater staiums came in, I can't understand why people leave it till one two minutes to kick off to get to their seats.  If you can't remember pre-all seater stadium times, you won't understand, but it made that last half hour before every home match special. 

Buying the Pinkun on the bridge just 20 minutes after the match finished. 

• Like 1

With all this time on my hands I have been writing chapter 2  of my recollections from the old days.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

With all this time on my hands I have been writing chapter 2  of my recollections from the old days.

You should include some passages from your match reports from last season with those amazing finishes and what it felt like. Those have lasted in my memory.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

You should include some passages from your match reports from last season with those amazing finishes and what it felt like. Those have lasted in my memory.

I think I might have to get to chapter 99 for that😀

So far I'm only up to 1957😂

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I think I might have to get to chapter 99 for that😀

So far I'm only up to 1957😂

Work backwards? 😉

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Pugin said:

No one these days could ever understand how important the Pink 'Un and Match of the Day were on a Saturday night. 

I miss standing, and crowd surges, and the sheer volume of noise on closely packed terracing.

I also miss the days when supporters were more empathetic with players - one of my first CR games was vs Portsmouth, who included Ken Foggo in their ranks. A large section of the Barclay singing 'Bring back my Foggo to me'  to the tune of Bobby Shafto. The sheer emotion made such an impression on me. Kinder days.

Do you mean to the tune of ‘My bonnie lies over the ocean’?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pugin said:

I'd forgotten about Kenny coming back with Pompey. Thanks for bringing that memory back. 

I miss walking up the steps at the back of the Barclay, the men in white coats and the blue bubble cars. 

Most of all I miss On The Ball City being sung properly 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Work backwards? 😉

Work back from that incredible season which was made null and void 🙂

Walking down King Street and seeing the ground over the river (before the flats, corner stand and perhaps even before the new River end). Use to send a tingle up my spine.

The excitement of the old standing Barclay. Singing songs such as 'you're going home in a Norfolk ambulace' and you're going to get your f£9&in6 head kicked in' to all the away support whilst at the same time as a young teenager preying they don't get hold of me at full time. Those were the days!

The eventual, long waited arrival of the pink un being available.

Edited by East Rider
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, East Rider said:

Walking down King Street and seeing the ground over the river (before the flats, corner stand and perhaps even before the new River end). Use to send a tingle up my spine.

The excitement of the old standing Barclay. Singing songs such as 'you're going home in a Norfolk ambulace' and you're going to get your f£9&in6 head kicked in' to all the away support whilst at the same time as a young teenager preying they don't get hold of me at full time. Those were the days!

The eventual, long waited arrival of the pink un being available.

I can relate to that. Snowflakes and political correctness has made the modern game and matchday experience far more sterile. 

3 hours ago, York Canary said:

I'm a sucker for nostalgia and all things the past. With that in mind I want to know the things you miss about supporting Norwich.

This doesn't necessarily mean you prefer the alternative that the present has given us, for example I miss the old South Stand because of how bad it was, but I know The Jarrold Stand is a massive upgrade!

List of things I miss from the past:

• The hard work put into finding transfer rumours when the internet was in its infancy 
  • Getting SMS updates of goals (used to subscribe to 88442, those texts would make or break my week)
  • 1-3 month loan deals, they just don't happen anymore
  • Roy Waller's Radio Norfolk commentary
  • Yellow nets 
  • Biking to my local newsagents to pick up a fresh copy of The Pink'un 2 hours after the final whistle was blown

Loads of others and I appreciate as a near 30 year old my nostalgia period is a relatively short one, but keen to hear yours too.

Top division stability

Never being cold once the game starts.  It can be minus 5 but as soon as the ball is kicked then I'm  oblivious.  

• Like 1

The atmosphere on the terraces in the 70s/80s was pretty exciting although the undercurrent of mindless violence, racism and sexism is something that I certainly don’t miss.

22 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I can relate to that. Snowflakes and political correctness has made the modern game and matchday experience far more sterile. 

Ah yes. The disappearance of senseless violence at football matches is so disappointing 🙄

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It doesn't smell the same any more. What was that smell in the Barclay? 

18 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It doesn't smell the same any more. What was that smell in the Barclay? 

Body odour, urine and tobacco ?