Sign in to follow this  
East Rider

Anyone still missing the football?

Not sure if it's just me, but I'm not really missing the games at the moment. I suspect it is a combination of the seriousness of the current situation or perhaps that we were increasingly looking like we were headed for relegation, despite the outside chance we had.

In any case I'm not particularly missing it. I am of course still paying for it!

Obviously most of you chaps and chappesses have the excitement of match day to look forward to. Us ex pats do not have the same build up so are probably missing a SKY presentation or stream a lot less.

Whereas I went to rugby every other Saturday and had a few sherberts with friends.

Other things have taken precedence, but whenever I do think about it, it makes me realise how we should not take it for granted when it comes back. We as Norwich fans should actually be grateful - imagine if this had happened 12 months ago, with us on the verge of promotion and in the process of seeing the best football for years and arguably the best season ever - and it was cut off like it has been this season. 

We have a lot to be thankful for but it still makes me sad that the football has stopped and I was relishing the last few games to see if we could escape relegation. That of course pales into insignificance to the wider issues affecting us all, but I also think that there is nothing wrong with looking forwards to the day we can have our football back - it will mark the beginning of a new era in football, whether we finish this season's games or not.

I do hope the authorities don't try to get things going behind closed doors - that imo would be a disgrace, because when football starts again it should be a celebration for fans - it should be a day where the whole of football gets together with the troubles behind us and get people together again at matches - a day for every football fan to remember. 

58 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It's been a huge part of my life for 52 years but I've barely given it a thought. 

Must admit I missed it quite a lot for the first couple of weeks after the initial postponement but since then no football seems entirely normal - well normal perhaps not quite the right word at a time when very little is 'normal'. But I'm certainly not missing it at the moment even though, like you, it has always been something I've loved since I was a small child.

My Arsenal ticket arrived last week and I thought ‘Oh yes, I was supposed to be down South this week”. I hadn’t thought about it for ages.

No, not really.

However when it comes back then I'll soon get into it again.

One things for sure though, like everything else football won't be the same again for a long time, if ever, which personally I would welcome.

• Like 2

Very few people are bigger football obsessives than me, but I really don't get this nonsense about people who are desperately missing it after less than a month. How do they cope during non-tournament summers when there's no football for three months? 

Anybody giving it the "I miss football so much 😭" bull is just doing it to try and look more 'cool' or passionate about football than everybody else.

I am missing the football, but as others have said, there is much more to worry about. Although the complete lack of any other sport compounds it for me.

That forthcoming 6th Round FA Cup tie at home to Man Utd is a distant memory and if it never happens now there are more important things in life to worry about even a refund on the money shelled out.

37 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Very few people are bigger football obsessives than me, but I really don't get this nonsense about people who are desperately missing it after less than a month. How do they cope during non-tournament summers when there's no football for three months? 

Anybody giving it the "I miss football so much 😭" bull is just doing it to try and look more 'cool' or passionate about football than everybody else.

I wouldn't classify myself as a football obsessive but do miss it - it is part of the structure of our lives and a daily interest that has been removed.

In the summer there is cricket😁

Just now, Badger said:

I wouldn't classify myself as a football obsessive but do miss it - it is part of the structure of our lives and a daily interest that has been removed.

I miss it too, but no more than I miss it during the summer. I just don't understand the people who were making silly Facebook videos and posts about how much they missed football after a fortnight of lockdown. What do they do in the summer?

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Cricket is possibly the safest sport for these times, players standing around in isolation most of the time not doing anything or going near anyone else......

image.thumb.png.de203e844390dc2fbb81fbd42d372e69.png

42 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

That forthcoming 6th Round FA Cup tie at home to Man Utd is a distant memory and if it never happens now there are more important things in life to worry about even a refund on the money shelled out.

That game is certainly one I was looking forward to even though they completely blew us away both games, especially at OT.

I'm at the point I don't even know what games we had left save for a couple of them. I also believe this will not be the last season called off for virus type affairs in the future. 

On a separate note it is also interesting how, according to the staff, the AnE waiting rooms at the hospitals are virtually empty. Perhaps just the poor soles who really need help are turning up and the types who can't or wont help themselves are staying away?  

I find not knowing the day of the week very weird, when you are retired the football at 3pm ( mostly ) means it’s Saturday 

Footy is not at the forefront of my needs at the mo'......Unfortunately people are passing on at an alarming rate due to this awful pandemic, I feel for them and their loved ones not being allowed to say their goodbyes or have a normal funeral, burial or cremation......Psychologically even if and when I return to Carrow Road I'll still feel slightly uncomfortable surrounded by thousands......I'm actually missing the beer after the game with my mates just as much.....I do hope to see them all again in the not too distant future.....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Footy is not at the forefront of my needs at the mo'......Unfortunately people are passing on at an alarming rate due to this awful pandemic, I feel for them and their loved ones not being allowed to say their goodbyes or have a normal funeral, burial or cremation......Psychologically even if and when I return to Carrow Road I'll still feel slightly uncomfortable surrounded by thousands......I'm actually missing the beer after the game with my mates just as much.....I do hope to see them all again in the not too distant future.....

This 100%

Have to disagree with Bill Shankly as there are far more serious things to occupy our minds. It would help a bit if the team I support managed to win more than every six weeks or so but I can honestly say I really don’t miss it.

May be wishful thinking but if anything good is to come out of this in football terms please let it be that we all realise that the Premier League is an out of control bloated cash cow and do something about it.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I miss it too, but no more than I miss it during the summer. I just don't understand the people who were making silly Facebook videos and posts about how much they missed football after a fortnight of lockdown. What do they do in the summer?

Wacky, the difference is everyone knows the season ends in May and however anyone’s team finishes we’re all prepared for a break. This has come at the most important time of the season. 

I'm missing the social side of match day but but not the actual football one little bit. I'd accepted relegation a long while ago and was actually looking forward to returning to the Chump. The prospect of having to go through all this again and listening to all the excuses on here does not appeal tbh.