Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Deferring salaries

I’m getting a little bit confused at the media seeming to suggest players/clubs deferring their pay as being an amazing gesture.  It isn’t, particularly.  Unless they are misusing the term, a deferral merely means it still happens, but later.  It is not that big a deal to guys with plenty of money (and little means of spending big right now). It does save clubs cash flow issues in having to pay the players a few months, but they’ll get 3-4 months in one go when it restarts. 

I guess I must be missing something? 

Absolutely - it is a strange one when people are quoting Leeds as being at the forefront of it...of getting paid late with a bonus for doing so.  Some hardship that is...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The only way to help the club is to take a pay cut.

And be better at defending and scoring.....that would be a great 

help too.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 2

A deferral does help because it solves immediate cash flow issues especially with uncertain return dates. It also passes the risk of continuation of the clubs to the players, they only gat paid if the clubs continue as going concerns so it is useful.

I'm sorry but my love for football is waning. Southampton taking a deferral is a slap in the face to the morality of the situation. Then to have Lineker saying he is proud of the players made me want to throw up.

Southampton have owners currently worth £4BN between them. It is up to them. But just in the same way as people have to observe the lockdown as strictly as possible whether you live in the country or in a tower block, surely football could get together and show its solidarity with the rest.

Never mind us making up the non playing staff wages, the majority of people on furlough may well be on minimum wage and at 80% receiving £280 at best.

Just do the moral and honourable thing and join the rest on 80%. Stop crying that they are picking on you. And saying other billionaires are not taking cuts is just an obfuscation and excuse. We don't know what these people are doing so cannot comment on them.

4 hours ago, Jack Barak said:

A deferral does help because it solves immediate cash flow issues especially with uncertain return dates. It also passes the risk of continuation of the clubs to the players, they only gat paid if the clubs continue as going concerns so it is useful.

Ultimately, all it does is help clubs cashflow; the going concern angle is a red herring for a PL club.  No one is really losing out and the idea it is an amazing gesture is just wrong.

Edited by Branston Pickle