Warren Vidic

Cambs police urge residents to report lockdown breaches

About an hour ago I saw two guys driving around in my neighbourhood for no apparent reason. They were driving a BMW with flourecent livery on the side. Someone should lock them up for breaking the curfew.

Edited by Warren Vidic

I initially read that as Cambridge police to urge residents to report on locked down beaches...

what beaches would those be I thought? 

It's late, I should head home now. I"ll get my coat. 

6 minutes ago, Surfer said:

I initially read that as Cambridge police to urge residents to report on locked down beaches...

Bond tied beach in Sydney

14 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Turning into a police state this isn’t good 

Vigilantism isn’t good either - people are starting to feel empowered and in the worst kind of way.  

Police state?.....Nah.....I think the UK Police (well at least here in this fine City) have overall been fairly sensible and tolerant......

The majority of this Country's populace are able to make a concentrated and combined effort to abide by the temporary advice that's regularly 'pumped out' in the media and in literature regarding social distancing, washing of hands, exercise and shopping rules - and good reasons to stay at home etc....

I'm really pleased that there's a large percentage of decent people in our society who are being mature and sensible about the current situation.They fully understand and take on board the specific reasons of why we should be conforming with these temporary measures. If they're out and about and have a momentary lapse of what is being sensible (we all unfortunately have these moments) then being advised by someone in authority to desist flouting the temporary imposed rules, or to please disperse and go home, they will do so accordingly, and will not get physically violent, spit, cough, remonstrate or vent and direct a barrage of 'I knows me bleedin' roights' coupled with a plethora of expletives toward someone giving them this sensible advice..... 

Police state?.....Nah....Although we'd certainly be in a state without the UK Police.....

1 hour ago, Uncle Fred said:

Turning into a state with loads of absolute ar$eholes who think they can disregard the Government's advice on staying at home, thereby spreading the virus and killing people this isn't good

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

Well I can tell you, having lived in Portugal for a number of years, that nobody over there would dare to flout the lockdown law because the GNR ( Guarda Nacional Republicana) do not mess about and you would soon be locked up.

The law there is enforced by men (and women) in military uniform with guns.

There is a crime of 'disobedience' under the current emergency laws. 

If somewhere like a beach or promenade is roped off by the local council, you do not go there and face arrest if you do.

Consequently the streets are absolutely deserted and there is 100% compliance

26 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Turning into a state with loads of absolute ar$eholes who think they can disregard the Government's advice on staying at home, thereby spreading the virus and killing people this isn't good

I agree there are some utter tossers out there but giving the curtain twitchers the power to snitch freely will cause a bigger problem. It's up to the government to give firmer and clearer rules. 

Locals are watching Gordon Ramsay's every move down here. Posting updates apparently. Serves him right. Shouldn't have crept down here overnight.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Locals are watching Gordon Ramsay's every move down here. Posting updates apparently. Serves him right. Shouldn't have crept down here overnight.

Which one of his 3 homes in Cornwall is he at?  Read this .morning that the houses total 11 million quid.  Bet jamie oliver is jealous.

He is the one at Daymer Bay. If you look at the legend The Point at Polzeath, you will see a golf course, and if you look closely, you might see one of the balls I lost there last year.

polzeath-to-daymer-bay-coastal-walk - 360Beaches

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I don't know, if I were wealthy enough to have a house out in the country with lots of private open space, then I'd be mighty tempted to get myself and my family there rather than be cooped up in a flat or similar in London where going outside for exercise means sharing crowded parks  or jogging down dirty, uneven pavements.

I totally get the "why", I can just see the other side.

There is no other side Wundaboy. He crept down here after the lockdown was instigated. Many other people do not have the same choice but we are in this together, or so we are led to believe.

Just listening to Radio Cornwall and there are 7 thousand houses registered for business rates so able to claim it as a business and claim grants.

Houses have to be available for rent for at least 20 weeks a year. And many people are listing them on websites that are obscure and never seen or defunct. And the majority of those bending the system as far as they can, are second home owners.

We'll meet again my ****.

9 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Just listening to Radio Cornwall and there are 7 thousand houses registered for business rates so able to claim it as a business and claim grants.

Houses have to be available for rent for at least 20 weeks a year. And many people are listing them on websites that are obscure and never seen or defunct. And the majority of those bending the system as far as they can, are second home owners.

We'll meet again my ****.

In a Small Holiday town  in co Clare  called kilkee , owners of Holiday homes  have woken up to find rather threatening letters  in their  mailbox  saying words to the effect of.... ' eff off or you wont have a holiday home for long". Now I disagree with them coming down but that kind of behaviour  will not solve anything.  

Now is not the time  for  any antagonistic  behaviour.....in real life anyway,  the odd wind up on here is grand.

36 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

There is no other side Wundaboy. He crept down here after the lockdown was instigated. Many other people do not have the same choice but we are in this together, or so we are led to believe.

I know many people don't have the same choice, and I count myself exceptionally lucky that I've been able to relocate my home working setup to a spare bedroom and have space both inside and out so me, the wife and our 3-month-old aren't breathing down each other's necks. By comparison some close friends of ours are cooped up in a small 2 bed flat with their 5-year-old, no outdoor space and it's hot as hell, he's been furloughed and she's working 12-hour days at home dealing with payroll, redundancies etc.

I know what he's done is totally wrong and against government guidelines. I just can't honestly say, hand on heart, that given the option I wouldn't have considered doing the same. 

I think the Devon & Cornwall bobbies should first have a quiet word with Ramsey....Then send the Police Chief of Uganda around to see Ramsey to enforce the issue......

A small proportion of people are being idiots. A small proportion of the police force are being idiots too. Neither is going to change.

As for the second/holiday home argument, any views on the amount of money second home owners have brought in via tourism over the years to keep the local economies going and local people employed? Any views on whether those local economies will be doing their best to encourage them again once this is over? Most coastal areas in particular only exist because of tourism.

Plenty of second home owners in Norfolk too - any problems there?

A small proportion of people are being idiots. A small proportion of the police force are being idiots too. Neither is going to change.

As for the second/holiday home argument, any views on the amount of money second home owners have brought in via tourism over the years to keep the local economies going and local people employed? Any views on whether those local economies will be doing their best to encourage them again once this is over? Most coastal areas in particular only exist because of tourism.

Plenty of second home owners in Norfolk too - any problems there?

In Cornwall, many of the villages where many of the homes are owned by up country people as they are called, have seen the downturn in their economies. With some villages having over 60% out of town ownership, the village shop has close, the pub has closed and the doctor has mover out. And of course, the price of housing means the next generation cannot afford to buy in their home village. There is some gain for "that awfully nice chap who keeps the garden tidy" and "wonderful Mrs Poldak who keep an eye on the place for us".

And when many of the "visitors" do turn up, they bring their Harrods hampers with them "you just can't get the right claret here". And then some of them have the temerity to put in objections to planning submissions.

They are not all like it, but villages in Cornwall are now enacting by laws to stop second home ownership.

On 09/04/2020 at 01:27, Surfer said:

Duhhh... Wisbech?