Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

SPFL Asks Clubs To Terminate The Season

Reports are saying today that the clubs would only have to pay back a maximum of £150 million to the broadcasters if the season is cancelled. Sky and the league are in negotiations and both parties are working on a different resolution to paying it back as Sky don’t want to unsettle a 28 year partnership. It seems like eventually common sense is prevailing now 

Edited by JF

The more I hear, see and read it's almost a forgone conclusion that this season will not get restarted and next season is looking increasingly unlikely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

We won’t be “railroaded”, we haven’t got enough points, we deserve to go down!

Why should there be special measures for the following season? If we are good enough, we will bounce back!

No....you only deserve to go down if you havent got enough points after ALL 38 games have been played....after everyone has played each other home and away. Thats kind of the point of a league championship

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, JF said:

Reports are saying today that the clubs would only have to pay back a maximum of £150 million to the broadcasters if the season is cancelled. Sky and the league are in negotiations and both parties are working on a different resolution to paying it back as Sky don’t want to unsettle a 28 year partnership. It seems like eventually common sense is prevailing now 

Nul and void looking more likely by the day.

25uUfW2o_bigger.jpg

This is, literally, game-changer. It makes voiding 19-20 much more likely (although they’re all still trying to avoid that atm). Part of my pre-2002 job was to know which hacks to trust. was definitely one I did.
Quote Tweet

vvwbiHcO_normal.jpg

Rob Draper

@draper_rob
· 12h
Sky Sports won’t ask for £371m rebate even if season is voided. They would look to get value from more games next season or extending current deal Also: pay-per-view revolution will be upon us when football resumes: football on every night of week https://dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8211063/Sky-Sports-not-ask-371m-rebate-Premier-League-season-cancelled.html
9:40 am · 12 Apr 2020
Edited by ricardo

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

25uUfW2o_bigger.jpg

This is, literally, game-changer. It makes voiding 19-20 much more likely (although they’re all still trying to avoid that atm). Part of my pre-2002 job was to know which hacks to trust. was definitely one I did.
Quote Tweet

vvwbiHcO_normal.jpg

Rob Draper

@draper_rob
· 12h
Sky Sports won’t ask for £371m rebate even if season is voided. They would look to get value from more games next season or extending current deal Also: pay-per-view revolution will be upon us when football resumes: football on every night of week https://dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8211063/Sky-Sports-not-ask-371m-rebate-Premier-League-season-cancelled.html
9:40 am · 12 Apr 2020

Yes the full article is on the mail site and says that only a few foreign broadcasters are after a complete rebate and that £150 million is the maximum potential cost of an unfinished season. 

Edited by JF

10 minutes ago, JF said:

Yes the full article is on the mail site and says that only a few foreign broadcasters are after a complete rebate and that £150 million is the maximum potential cost of an unfinished season. 

The Mail has been overdoing the 'exclusive' tag but its recent coverage of the latest developments, including below the Premier League, has been good, while other papers seem still not to have realised the EPL and this crisis do not exist in isolation.

6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The Mail has been overdoing the 'exclusive' tag but its recent coverage of the latest developments, including below the Premier League, has been good, while other papers seem still not to have realised the EPL and this crisis do not exist in isolation.

I don't think they will be able to string it out for too much longer.

A decision has to be made soon. With talk today of the UK potentially going on to record the highest death rates in Europe and deaths still high in Spain, and a long peak for infections, then even starting the 20/21 season must surely be in doubt.

5 hours ago, JF said:

We can’t make that judgement until everyone has played everyone twice. Nothing has been decided yet

Totally agree, “if we haven’t got enough points” should have been my reference, my bad!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

No....you only deserve to go down if you havent got enough points after ALL 38 games have been played....after everyone has played each other home and away. Thats kind of the point of a league championship

I agree, that was my grammatical error. But the belief that we are getting “railroaded” is hilarious. We’ve been rubbish compared to other teams, made too many mistakes behind the scenes. I’m a firm believer we can win quite a few of our remaining games, but if we go down, we won’t be “railroaded” and will have the same preparation as the rest of the championship!

9 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I agree, that was my grammatical error. But the belief that we are getting “railroaded” is hilarious. We’ve been rubbish compared to other teams, made too many mistakes behind the scenes. I’m a firm believer we can win quite a few of our remaining games, but if we go down, we won’t be “railroaded” and will have the same preparation as the rest of the championship!

....if we are forcibly relegated before all games have been played...then yes thats 'railroaded' in my book

If the league campaign cannot be completed in a normal envioronment within a reasonable timeframe...then it should be voided ,plain and simple

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

....if we are forcibly relegated before all games have been played...then yes thats 'railroaded' in my book

If the league campaign cannot be completed in a normal envioronment within a reasonable timeframe...then it should be voided ,plain and simple

I agree with that! 

They won’t relegate a team with so much to play for though. It’s absurd. The 3 legal battles they will get hit with are far worse than the legal battles from the championship ( if they didn’t promote teams)

Apparently Dundee sent their voting paper as a pdf which got caught in the firewall of the SPFL. 🤣

Apples

1 hour ago, Mr Apples said:

Apparently Dundee sent their voting paper as a pdf which got caught in the firewall of the SPFL. 🤣

Apples

That would have been OK but while it hadn't arrived they sent an email or a letter telling the Scottish football authorities to ignore the vote they'd sent that hadn't arrived! It seems plausible that Dundee suddenly realised they in effect had the casting vote and were being pressured from clubs on both sides of the argument.

On 11/04/2020 at 18:57, keelansgrandad said:

I'm not happy that many people have died and many more will, the economy is going to be dire for some time and I can't play golf. So if we get relegated then so be it. There are worse things in life happening right at this moment.

Get a grip people.

What a silly thing to say on a Norwich City message board. Telling is to get a grip because we don’t want to be relegated unfairly.

I think we’re all aware that there is a pandemic at this moment in time, and we’re all very sad at the innocent loss of life, that goes without saying.

But this is a football discussion, and a completely different issue. To me, at least, Norwich being relegated unfairly with a 1/4 of the season to go is a very important matter in the scheme of footballing things cheers 👍🏼

I wonder if Sky are playing the long game here, use the immediate financial pressure to gain concessions like 3pm football and more games out of the EPL which they can leverage down the line to more subscribers. I know I'd find it hard to give up Sky Sports if every Norwich game was broadcast and I bet a lot of other fans feel the same way.

What a silly thing to say on a Norwich City message board. Telling is to get a grip because we don’t want to be relegated unfairly.

I think we’re all aware that there is a pandemic at this moment in time, and we’re all very sad at the innocent loss of life, that goes without saying.

But this is a football discussion, and a completely different issue. To me, at least, Norwich being relegated unfairly with a 1/4 of the season to go is a very important matter in the scheme of footballing things cheers 

I'm sorry if you think this is silly and just a football topic. It has come about because of the virus. A virus that has seen many unfair things such as 13 year old's dying without a parent to hold their hand and not being present at their burial. Very unfair and very real.

So I cannot for the life of me see where us being relegated would be unfair. If we stay up it will be unfair on another team. And in the scheme of things with what is happening and is going to happen, which division we play in next season is of any real importance.

Cheers. Stay safe

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

But this is a football discussion, and a completely different issue. To me, at least, Norwich being relegated unfairly with a 1/4 of the season to go is a very important matter in the scheme of footballing things cheers 

I'm sorry if you think this is silly and just a football topic. It has come about because of the virus. A virus that has seen many unfair things such as 13 year old's dying without a parent to hold their hand and not being present at their burial. Very unfair and very real.

So I cannot for the life of me see where us being relegated would be unfair. If we stay up it will be unfair on another team. And in the scheme of things with what is happening and is going to happen, which division we play in next season is of any real importance.

Cheers. Stay safe

And if we stay up by the fixtures being completed somehow, then it won’t be unfair at all on any other club, or us - we and the other teams that avoided the trap would have earned it. If the fixtures can’t be completed then nobody can be promoted or relegated, as nothing’s been won or lost yet with so much of the season still to go (25%). So yes I would be very annoyed about that. Again, it’s very saddening to think of people losing their lives, no ones denying that whatsoever and I would like to think that that goes without saying. But quite frankly, I can’t change it, other than following government advice, and neither can I spend 24 hours a day solely reading about non stop tragic events during a possible 2 or 3 month lockdown either. Football, or rather NCFC, has always been some much needed respite from such things for many of us, including myself, and if I wanted to feel even more grim about this horrific pandemic then I’d spend all day on Facebook etc. I’m very aware of what’s happening, and I’m sad about it. Norwich City Football Club and the deaths of many innocent people are not mutually the same thing though, so it’s perfectly acceptable to have feelings towards these issues completely separately. And cheers, stay safe yourself, KG - all the best 🙏🏼

Arsenal players are set to be the first in the Premier League to agree to a pay cut after being offered Champions League qualification incentives.

The Gunners players will take a 12.5% wage cut but be reimbursed if they qualify for next season's Champions League or the 2021-22 competition.

They will get a £100,000 bonus for reaching next year's Champions League.

They will each reportedly earn £500,000 for winning the 2021 Champions League or £100,000 for the Europa League.

The Gunners were in ninth place in the Premier League when the season was stopped because of the coronavirus pandemic, eight points adrift of a Champions League place with 10 games remaining.

On Wednesday, the Arsenal executive team agreed to waive more than a third of their salaries over the next 12 months.

I think for Norwich to be relegated with a 1/4 of the season is unfair. Equally, however, I also think it is unfair if Liverpool don't get the title, despite there being a quarter of the season to go. Equally, I think it would be unfair for Leeds and WBA not to be promoted. 

There isn't a fair solution if we can't complete the season, but KG is correct, we need a sense of proportion. I'd rather have an "unfair solution" whatever it may be than to re-start the season before it is totally safe to do so. If that means voiding it, which would from a narrow partisan point of view would be my preference, so be it. Equally, however, if it means that some sort of points average is used which works against us, so be it too. Lives over football.

* Having said that, I would totally support the club if we were relegated it we took legal action to try to gain some financial compensation for lost revenues. (Equally, I would support Leeds/ WBA did the same if it goes against them.)

4 hours ago, Badger said:

I think for Norwich to be relegated with a 1/4 of the season is unfair. Equally, however, I also think it is unfair if Liverpool don't get the title, despite there being a quarter of the season to go. Equally, I think it would be unfair for Leeds and WBA not to be promoted. 

There isn't a fair solution if we can't complete the season, but KG is correct, we need a sense of proportion. I'd rather have an "unfair solution" whatever it may be than to re-start the season before it is totally safe to do so. If that means voiding it, which would from a narrow partisan point of view would be my preference, so be it. Equally, however, if it means that some sort of points average is used which works against us, so be it too. Lives over football.

* Having said that, I would totally support the club if we were relegated it we took legal action to try to gain some financial compensation for lost revenues. (Equally, I would support Leeds/ WBA did the same if it goes against them.)

Think Liverpool winning the league is a lot more clear cut than Leeds and West Brom - any number of clubs is in with a realistic shout at promotion there so, just my feeling, don’t see their promotion any more clear cut than us Watford West Ham Villa Bmth etc being relegated to be fair. Are Liverpool 25 points ahead or something? Even though personally I think fixtures have to be played to decide things, there’s only one club who have things about as finalised as is possible, it’s be hard not to say it’s Liverpool’s league this season

Truro City. top of Southern Premier League and maybe promoted to National League South from where they were relegated, are using the appeal system and likely the legal one as well as there is no promotion or relegation.

Of course, ultimately, the leagues could say, if you don't like it, you know what you can do. I doubt any court would help them.