Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

SPFL Asks Clubs To Terminate The Season

EPL & EFL could follow this precedent I guess?....Existing rules thrown out (games having to be played)

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

EPL & EFL could follow this precedent I guess?....Existing rules thrown out (games having to be played)

That’s my concern but I can’t see how it could happen without massive legal battles that would stop next season from starting.  Bournemouth relegated on goal difference with 9 games to play! Villa relegated with a game in hand! And even ourselves could very realistically still escape relegation. If it goes to a vote then we’re screwed but that won’t stop the legal challenges 

Just now, JF said:

That’s my concern but I can’t see how it could happen without massive legal battles that would stop next season from starting.  Bournemouth relegated on goal difference with 9 games to play! Villa relegated with a game in hand! And even ourselves could very realistically still escape relegation. If it goes to a vote then we’re screwed but that won’t stop the legal challenges 

Yep. That's my take.

I don't think any of us could reasonably complain if we were relegated through this formula, or something similar. Villa not going down would stick in my throat though, that was going to be my consolation. They don't deserve to stay up.

The problem is how you sort out promotion, as much as relegation. No club from Champs was ‘certain’ to go up.

IMO some sort of play off series could be worked out between the bottom couple of clubs and those at the top of the league below, over two legs. So currently us v Leeds and WBA v Villa, winners are in the PL next season.  It gets it sorted v quickly.  

6 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I don't think any of us could reasonably complain if we were relegated through this formula, or something similar. Villa not going down would stick in my throat though, that was going to be my consolation. They don't deserve to stay up.

The season before Leicester won the PL they found themselves in the position we are now. I’m not saying we will escape if the games are played but the season isn’t concluded until everyone has played everyone twice. This time last season Leeds were top 2 and Villa were roughly 10th!? How did that pan out? You can’t relegate and promote on presumptions when nothing has been concluded 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

The problem is how you sort out promotion, as much as relegation. No club from Champs was ‘certain’ to go up.

This.  If the season is cancelled, no clubs should go down and no clubs should go up. Anything else would be a travesty of any kind of natural justice, let alone the legal aspects of it.  That is why I keep banging on about completing the games, however long it takes - it is the only reasonable way of moving forwards - it is much better than just not promoting or relegating anyone one and vastly better than some false arrangement to put teams up or down.

Nothing is fair at the moment. Someone will be upset and shout foul play. If we are relegated then so be it. We are bottom.

I hope it doesn't lead to endless Court cases as that will just make it worse.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

This.  If the season is cancelled, no clubs should go down and no clubs should go up. Anything else would be a travesty of any kind of natural justice, let alone the legal aspects of it.  That is why I keep banging on about completing the games, however long it takes - it is the only reasonable way of moving forwards - it is much better than just not promoting or relegating anyone one and vastly better than some false arrangement to put teams up or down.

Even if prolonging the games to stretch into next season and ruin next season means that many, many clubs will fold? No thanks, cancel this season, Null and void, take the financial hit and move on 

• Like 1

The only way this would ever work is to stop all relegations, promote the top two into the premiership, and have 5 relegated from a 22 team season next season.

Then each EFL league can promote top two and relegate the same bottom 5 the following season. Other than that it opens up massive legal implications for relegated teams who will argue that as long as there’s a chance of staying up they would be financially out of pocket.

Other than that is to wait and play the season out or call it void reset the season as it is. What SPL are doing is just very poor to relegate sides who still have a chance of staying up. I’d be pretty peed off if this was to happen down here.

• Like 1

Just now, JF said:

Even if prolonging the games to stretch into next season and ruin next season means that many, many clubs will fold? No thanks, cancel this season, Null and void, take the financial hit and move on 

?? so what about promotiomn and relegation?

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

What about it?? No one has been mathematically promoted or relegated as yet. Your plan involves many club’s folding and many businesses that rely on football folding just to complete a season that has been unrailed by an unprecedented pandemic. 

29 minutes ago, JF said:

The Premier League has 20 shareholders, the 20 clubs in the league. If they all agree then there will be no legal dispute. A big if of course, but somebody can ask the question. 

The sticking point after that is what happens with promotion/relegation, EFL will have a much bigger headache than the EPL I feel.

Just now, JF said:

What about it?? No one has been mathematically promoted or relegated as yet. Your plan involves many club’s folding and many businesses that rely on football folding just to complete a season that has been unrailed by an unprecedented pandemic. 

Totally agree JF, the only thing I would do is award Liverpool the honour of this premiership title as they are so far ahead even if it’s void they deserve it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JF said:

But you haven't answered the question. You want the season cancelled and null and void, so what about promotion and relegation? 

Its up to the authorities. Trouble is they can't make a decision. Its the Premier leagues. Rugby has done the same. They are scared of the big clubs who apparently generate the most income. I'm sure people would still have SKY and BT even if the clubs in the Prem were not the regular ones.

Surely if it’s null and void there are no promotions or relegations!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

IMO some sort of play off series could be worked out between the bottom couple of clubs and those at the top of the league below, over two legs. So currently us v Leeds and WBA v Villa, winners are in the PL next season.  It gets it sorted v quickly.  

Quick, but still unfair! We have Burnley, Brighton, Southampton all to play at home! We should be allowed a chance to play them games. Others already have!

• Like 1

On a side note, might be right time to see clubs go to the wall, we have so many teams in this country, not popular but like businesses if they can’t survive then maybe it’s just tough!

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

But you haven't answered the question. You want the season cancelled and null and void, so what about promotion and relegation? 

The season is wiped from the history books and didn’t happen. So no promotion and no relegation, it all resets next season. I know it’s harsh and I know we benefit from that but I see no other way. If the season can’t conclude because of an absolutely unforeseen event then it can’t conclude. There is absolutely no guarantee that the bottom 3 would be the bottom 3 at the end of the season and no guarantee that Leeds and West Brom would be automatically promoted. And then there’s the play offs...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Quick, but still unfair! We have Burnley, Brighton, Southampton all to play at home! We should be allowed a chance to play them games. Others already have!

Agree. Although I’d take a two legged match against Leeds all day long 

5 minutes ago, JF said:

The season is wiped from the history books and didn’t happen. So no promotion and no relegation, it all resets next season.

I find that as bad a solution as trying to actually play the games at some point.  

29 minutes ago, JF said:

I believe 25% of the TV money is distributed to clubs based on final league position, so it may well be the 'null and void' option which leads clubs to financial ruin if they write off the season.

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I find that as bad a solution as trying to actually play the games at some point.  

Less clubs and businesses will go to the wall by voiding this season and playing next season. As I’ve said before it will soon become apparent that it’s either this season on next. Lose next season and football will struggle to survive 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I believe 25% of the TV money is distributed to clubs based on final league position, so it may well be the 'null and void' option which leads clubs to financial ruin if they write off the season.

You’re looking at it from a PL perspective. That’s not the case for those below us

Just now, JF said:

Less clubs and businesses will go to the wall by voiding this season and playing next season. As I’ve said before it will soon become apparent that it’s either this season on next. Lose next season and football will struggle to survive 

Football will survive and might even benefit from going back to sensible wage structure and more fan based league fairness, not benefiting from super rich ownership. Who knows.

1 minute ago, JF said:

Less clubs and businesses will go to the wall by voiding this season and playing next season. 

How and why? If I'm a businessman and I pay £0.3m to sponsor a League One shirt for a season, but the season is null and void, do I get a refund or do I get a years free sponsorship? I may not necessarily care about football or the club in question, I may have just added it to my marketing mix. 

2 minutes ago, JF said:

You’re looking at it from a PL perspective. That’s not the case for those below us

Right well the EFL can do what they like, the PL can do what they like. This isn't an FA decision. 

But what the EFL do isn't our concern, right now we need a solution agreed  by the 20 shareholders of the EPL in conjuction with partners including Sky.

Seems that Rangers have rejected the proposal to relegate teams when the season hasn’t been concluded. Either finishing the season in a timescale that doesn’t hit next season or null and void are the only realistic options