Sign in to follow this  
Pugin

Let's all just be a little bit less critical and aggressive. Don't drive a wedge between us.

It's not really for me to say, as I only joined the MB a short while ago, but...

We are all under terrible pressure at the current time for a variety of reasons, all connected to coronavirus. Even if we don't realise it it makes us all moody, a bit more tetchy, and ready to jump on people if we disagree with their views. I am as guilty as anyone else.

I see that there are battle lines drawn between various contributors - it doesn't look good and I guarantee it doesn't feel good for those involved. 

The club is taking stick for making a business decision. Financially, we are currently funded more in line with a middling Championship side than a Premier League side, so surely this needs to be factored in. In any event, the club gets so many things spectacularly right that, if nothing else, they deserve respect. Please let's not be tabloid in our response.

The players are in the firing line for not relinquishing a large chunk of their salaries. They are good, dedicated professionals and many would happily donate to the NHS, but this was never going to happen overnight and from now on the whole issue will now be tinged with virtue-signalling, which is not a good motive. Let each of them handle it in their own way. Many will be low key, and I aware of players' families who are volunteering for the NHS without publicity. Much health-related charity work is already done, not all of it in the full glare of publicity.

So the message is, please let's not drive a wedge between ourselves, us and the club, and us and the players. None of us deserve that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this is a sensible and well thought out post, Pugin. Now is the time for us to come together, not argue about things we have no control over. We're living in a weird time and many are struggling that's for sure. However I believe that if you are healthy you should simply feel thankful for that at the moment. Feel blessed that you're ok. This lockdown is harsh and everyone is getting tetchy at all manner of things. Just remember that if someone does something you wouldn't do that it is not ok to jump down their throats for it. The tetchiness is predominantly down to being stuck indoors and, I've discovered, a lot of the time down to your own feelings 'Why is that person doing such and such when I can't!' It's kind of selfish in itself. 

As for what businesses are doing, and I'm talking from the perspective of someone who has been furloughed, it's totally legal and provided for. In the case of Norwich City I believe the club is also topping up wages to 100%. Those people can come back to a job. What's the issue? Looking at easyJet for example who paid a £174 million dividend to shareholders and then furloughed the entire company and one may think it looks worse than out situation. Still...it's totally legal. Perhaps underhand but legal. The reciprocation may be bad in that we get a hefty tax increase but I also feel businesses will go into boom mode and need to employ more people.

It's a fact that I'm trying to be positive about all this as I really see no other way to be right now. Nitpicking and infighting won't get us anywhere. 

Lots of love

BobLoz x

The premiership as an organisation and players in particular have shown what a bunch of greedy to**ers they are. This has been a PR disaster which could have been avoided. The city players could have taken a 20% pay cut, only in the short term and that 20% cut could have been used to pay the backroom staff the 20% cut they are taking in their pay. Most if not all backroom staff would be on minimum wage or very close to it. 

The world we were before this pandemic will be totally different when we come out of this crisis. The moral compass will be reset. 

Edited by City fan
Spell check

10 minutes ago, City fan said:

The premiership as an organisation and players in particular have shown what a bunch of greedy to**ers they are. This has been a PR disaster which could have been avoided. The city players could have taken a 20% pay cut, only in the short term and that 20% cut could have been used to pay the backroom staff the 20% cut they are taking in their pay. Most if not all backroom staff would be on minimum wage or very close to it. 

The world we were before this pandemic will be totally different when we come out of this crisis. The moral compass will be reset. 

I don’t know if you’re just ignorant or are deliberately ignoring the stated facts, but for the last time, THE CLUB ARE MAKING UP THE 20% AND NO FURLOUGHED STAFF HAVE LOST PAY.

• Like 2

I sincerely hope that not one person on this message board is touched by this terrible virus. It is like a biblical plague passing over our houses. I hope you all come out the other side and you and your families stay safe and well. 

• Like 4

Every thread is turning into a Scousers sketch. 

"Stay safe." 

" Who the bloody hell are you telling to stay safe?" 

• Haha 6

12 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I don’t know if you’re just ignorant or are deliberately ignoring the stated facts, but for the last time, THE CLUB ARE MAKING UP THE 20% AND NO FURLOUGHED STAFF HAVE LOST PAY.

So it's OK for a wealthy premiership club to take from the tax payer.? I notice you are not critical of the parasites playing in green and yellow, who like most premiership players have shown themselves to be what they are, to**ers. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Herman said:

Every thread is turning into a Scousers sketch. 

"Stay safe." 

" Who the bloody hell are you telling to stay safe?" 

Ricky Gervais. 'But I don't want blo ody guitar lessons' - brilliant

Edited by Rock The Boat

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Best message board in the world. 

You soon popped up you lying ****!

• Haha 1

Certain Premiership players really need their full salary at this disconcerting moment in time.....Top o' the range 'Ladies of the night' don't come cheap.....Decent lawyers/briefs to get you off certain 'Not me guv' charges will hammer their Prem pay packet.....and if those unfortunate soccer kicky footyballer celebriteeez do get fined for whatever misdemeanors they're charged with, they'll require a considerable sum of dosh to cover the crippling fine......Oh, and not forgetting their high maintenance Glamglad 'Wags' who need their essential 'shop till they drop' wonga...... 

Me? All I've got is sufficient dosh for fluid, food and essential monthly/weekly bills...Oh, and my current, Ahem...P0rnhub account....😏 

It all feels a bit tarnished at the moment but I'm sure it will be quickly forgotten when we eventually kick off again. And our defence is as bad as ever.

11 hours ago, City fan said:

So it's OK for a wealthy premiership club to take from the tax payer.? I notice you are not critical of the parasites playing in green and yellow, who like most premiership players have shown themselves to be what they are, to**ers. 

I'm a bit confused about all this though. 

If the players took a pay cut how exactly would that benefit the NHS or the taxpayer? 

So you mean the players, chief execs and managers at all clubs should take a pay cut to pay non-playing staff without taxpayer assistance? I agree with that, but got to be Webber/Delia who puts that proposal forward? 

We seemed to grab the taxpayer dosh very quickly, I doubt that suggestion was even put to the players. 

Footballers just taking a pay cut doesn't benefit the NHS or the taxpayer? 

No doubt the club wanted the players to take a pay cut AND to take the furlough money, but why should the players agree to this when club is still getting TV money, sponsorship, prize money probably, not refunding season tickets as far as we are aware. Only losing match day revenues which is chicken feed for us as we don't have many casual seats. 

Webber has brought the shame here. 

Footballers should have been pressured to contribute to salaries of non-playing staff, not to merely bolster summer transfer budgets. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Why is Webber now the scapegoat? Are people just using this terrible situation to settle the score? 

19 hours ago, City fan said:

The world we were before this pandemic will be totally different when we come out of this crisis. The moral comp**** will be reset

Wishful thinking I’m afraid, it will be quickly forgotten and everything will go back to how it was. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Wishful thinking I’m afraid, it will be quickly forgotten and everything will go back to how it was. 

It will be interesting to see what happens. I have a nasty feeling that you might be right but I think there are a couple of footballers and the owner of a pub chain who may live to regret their actions. 

The other difficult thing is how we pay for this when it's all over. That decision will determine the course of politics for the next few years. If the Government gets it wrong the Labour Party now has its most electable leader since Blair. 

I don't particularly want to start a political debate. The state of the country is going to be bad and hopefully our Government will act for all of us. I didn't vote for them but I'm hoping they get it right this time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

couple of footballers and the owner of a pub chain who may live to regret their actions. 

Thing is Dylan, those footballers will get booed every time they play for a while but it will soon die down and if we’re honest, it probably won’t bother them one bit. When all this is over one of the first things that will happen is a bunch of people, including some that I work with, will want to have a night on the p1ss. They love ‘Spoons  because it’s cheap and down riverside, personally I’ll give my money to another pub.

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Why is Webber now the scapegoat? Are people just using this terrible situation to settle the score? 

Continually bashing Boris and the Government after Brexit as well as their convincing Conservative general election victory....Maybe some people are also just using this terrible situation to settle the score.....

Aye, let he who is without sin,  cast the first stone. Business is business, morals are a different issue altogether, .unfortunately. 

49 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Thing is Dylan, those footballers will get booed every time they play for a while but it will soon die down and if we’re honest, it probably won’t bother them one bit. When all this is over one of the first things that will happen is a bunch of people, including some that I work with, will want to have a night on the p1ss. They love ‘Spoons  because it’s cheap and down riverside, personally I’ll give my money to another pub.

No more 'Spoons for me either. Lots of people will carry on regardless but even if they only lose 1 in 10 of their customers they may have a problem. 

As for the footballers, I dread to think what will happen, particularly bearing in mind the history with Grealish. An opposition player with a minute to go may decide to teach him a lesson. I wouldn't condone that but there are going to be a lot of people losing family members whose behaviour will change as a result. 

But you're quite right, the two in question at the moment are so thick that a bit of booing won't bother them at all. I doubt they'll be taking corners or throw ins though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'm a bit confused about all this though. 

If the players took a pay cut how exactly would that benefit the NHS or the taxpayer? 

So you mean the players, chief execs and managers at all clubs should take a pay cut to pay non-playing staff without taxpayer assistance? I agree with that, but got to be Webber/Delia who puts that proposal forward? 

We seemed to grab the taxpayer dosh very quickly, I doubt that suggestion was even put to the players. 

Footballers just taking a pay cut doesn't benefit the NHS or the taxpayer? 

No doubt the club wanted the players to take a pay cut AND to take the furlough money, but why should the players agree to this when club is still getting TV money, sponsorship, prize money probably, not refunding season tickets as far as we are aware. Only losing match day revenues which is chicken feed for us as we don't have many casual seats. 

Webber has brought the shame here. 

Footballers should have been pressured to contribute to salaries of non-playing staff, not to merely bolster summer transfer budgets. 

The clubs want the players to take a pay cut so the clubs can reduce their outlays and survive. The clubs wanted the wages cut has nothing to do with tax or the NHS, that's just a smokescreen generated by the PFA to try and justify the players not agreeing to a wage cut, even if it puts entire clubs out of business.

• Like 1

I can't believe that the OP hasn't been called a binner yet. What has the world come to???

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I can't believe that the OP hasn't been called a binner yet. What has the world come to???

It was so obvious that it didn't warrant  mentioning. 😉

• Like 1

On 07/04/2020 at 11:24, Pugin said:

It's not really for me to say, as I only joined the MB a short while ago, but...

We are all under terrible pressure at the current time for a variety of reasons, all connected to coronavirus. Even if we don't realise it it makes us all moody, a bit more tetchy, and ready to jump on people if we disagree with their views. I am as guilty as anyone else.

I see that there are battle  Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin lines drawn between various contributors - it doesn't look good and I guarantee it doesn't feel good for those involved. 

The club is taking stick for making a business decision. Financially, we are currently funded more in line with a middling Championship side than a Premier League side, so surely this needs to be factored in. In any event, the club gets so many things spectacularly right that, if nothing else, they deserve respect. Please let's not be tabloid in our response.

The players are in the firing line for not relinquishing a large chunk of their salaries. They are good, dedicated professionals and many would happily donate to the NHS, but this was never going to happen overnight and from now on the whole issue will now be tinged with virtue-signalling, which is not a good motive. Let each of them handle it in their own way. Many will be low key, and I aware of players' families who are volunteering for the NHS without publicity. Much health-related charity work is already done, not all of it in the full glare of publicity.

So the message is, please let's not drive a wedge between ourselves, us and the club, and us and the players. None of us deserve that.

The other difficult thing is how we pay for this when it's all over. That decision will determine the course of politics for the next few years. If the Government gets it wrong the Labour Party now has its most electable leader since Blair. 

Edited by aquilesopkarg

It would be nice to think that people like Grealish and Tim Martin will suffer for their sins but I seriously doubt that they will. Unfortunately at the end of the day money talks - and even more unfortunately lots of not very bright people manage to accumulate money.