Sign in to follow this  
Daz Sparks

Prime Minister in ITU

I was getting to the stage of chancing a short walk very early one morning but  I've  knocked that thought on the head. 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'm just surprised that you could see the thread in the index at all if it was created by somebody on your ignore list, but I'm not going to test it so I'll take your word for it.

But anyway, the reason you don't think there were any offensive posts in that thread is because you have the main culprit on your ignore list. And that poster is now on my ignore list too. 

You definitely can see them in the list, for example I frequently post on 'The Brexit Thread' created by Jools who is another long term inhabitant of my blocked list. If I open that thread I don't see the first three posts (all by him - not sure why he couldn't manage to combine into one opening slavo 😂) but the thread itself is otherwise the same as any other.

So I think you'll find the blocking only operates at the level of individual posts not the thread which would take out lots of other people's posts as well. It generally works quite well although it is a bit erratic at times. But still quite useful to filter out those amongst us who think that copying and pasting huge junks of fake news is a good idea.

• Like 1

Just now, ricardo said:

I was getting to the stage of chancing a short walk very early one morning but  I've  knocked that thought on the head. 

I know it is tough but with your medical condition you really do need to do what you have been advised.

Mrs KG and I are living as normal inside our home but we social distancing ourselves from our Grandson who lives with us. 

This thing is morphing. Now doctors are saying that just one of the symptoms could well mean you have it. And now they are including diaorrhea.

If you can find one online, get yourself a Turbo Trainer for the bike.

Live long and prosper

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

If you don't  recover after a week it looks like it takes a turn for the worse.

Best wishes to Boris and all who are in hospital.

I think this right. I was speaking Friday to one of our suppliers (not local) who is now recovering and he had a rough 7 days but was now clearly on the mend (all his employees had run a mile though... factory closed!)

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

I know it is tough but with your medical condition you really do need to do what you have been advised.

Mrs KG and I are living as normal inside our home but we social distancing ourselves from our Grandson who lives with us. 

This thing is morphing. Now doctors are saying that just one of the symptoms could well mean you have it. And now they are including diaorrhea.

If you can find one online, get yourself a Turbo Trainer for the bike.

Live long and prosper

I think that is right but fighting the urge to at least have a little change of scenery is pretty hard. The news about Boris has however stiffened my resolve. What concerns me is how this ends. Am I a prisoner until a vaccine comes around?

Just doesn't seem to be any pattern to the severity. Boris in ICU but all Matt Hancock had was a sore throat for a few days and back to work in a week. Not my cup of tea politically or as a man but I'll be saying a little prayer for you tonight Boris. 

10 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

You definitely can see them in the list, for example I frequently post on 'The Brexit Thread' created by Jools who is another long term inhabitant of my blocked list. If I open that thread I don't see the first three posts (all by him - not sure why he couldn't manage to combine into one opening slavo 😂) but the thread itself is otherwise the same as any other.

So I think you'll find the blocking only operates at the level of individual posts not the thread which would take out lots of other people's posts as well. It generally works quite well although it is a bit erratic at times. But still quite useful to filter out those amongst us who think that copying and pasting huge junks of fake news is a good idea.

Fair enough chap, apologies. 

• Thanks 1

From a basic human empathy level I wish him a speedy recovery, but still stand by my comment of course the PM, any PM, will get preferential treatment, it’s the only sensible way to approach the issue. And as the PM there is valid concern about his condition that overrides patient confidentiality. 

It might be best for the country and himself to formally step down - if only for 30 days or so. Let him focus on getting well. 

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

Best wishes and a speedy recovery to the PM and to all those who are suffering from this goddamn awful virus.....

42 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I think this right. I was speaking Friday to one of our suppliers (not local) who is now recovering and he had a rough 7 days but was now clearly on the mend (all his employees had run a mile though... factory closed!)

It's encouraging to hear stories of people on the mend.

2 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I echo all previous posters comments. This forum at its best. 👍

My thoughts are with him and his family.

OTBC

Even the parts he won't admit to...

In all seriousness though, I can't stand him as a man or politician but would not wish death on him... Dominic Cummings on the other hand...

(Maybe not death, but some sort of comeuppance certainly)

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

It might be best for the country and himself to formally step down - if only for 30 days or so. Let him focus on getting well. 

There is no need, the first secretary of state is the de-facto second-in-command. So in the event that the pm can't perform some or all duties they default to Raab, that's built into our system of government. 

Not just in this government but in any government. Nick Clegg has the discretionary title 'deputy prime minister' but its not a normal position and was discretionary.

The first secretary of state is the second in command, with seniority over all other cabinet positions.

Nick Clegg was a 'Deputy prime minister' but this is an unusual title and he was the last person to hold it. If there is no first secretary of state then second in command would be the chancellor.  

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Absolute disgrace, and the person who created that thread should never show his face on here again.  

Because he done EXACTLY what this OP did - started a thread on this subject. That being in that case that Johnson had been admitted to hospital

I neither speculated or commented on his health. It was not me that posted up a link to a Russian news organisation that had, I did express sympathies to those medical staff that had died.

I did pointn out how strange it was that, Ian, Hairy Canary and a couple of other names had suddenly appeared on the forum to up vote one of their 'mates - having not been on the forum for days. Not the first time such behaviour has been noted.

And Disco's claims to have read my posts and been so outraged that he neither posted in rebuttal or even voted in any way does rather take this farce to another level. One backed by the knowledge that Barbe Bleu was also coincidentally absent.

My sentiment on this holds as it ever has with the words of John Dunne -" .....for who, the bells tolls".

The truth here is that person(s) unknown are using this as a means to pursue their own agenda - and I doubt we would see so much outrage if the person in question was Dianne Abbott.

And I also pointed out the hypocricy of bleating about complaining when someone talks of having sympathy for all when minutes befotre, you had started a thread calling for Amanda Holden to be burnt at the stake. Perhaps that is what upset the RWNJ (s ?)

8 hours ago, ricardo said:

I think that is right but fighting the urge to at least have a little change of scenery is pretty hard. The news about Boris has however stiffened my resolve. What concerns me is how this ends. Am I a prisoner until a vaccine comes around?

Missing Ricardo's lunch reports 😀

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bill said:

I did pointn out how strange it was that, Ian, Hairy Canary and a couple of other names had suddenly appeared on the forum to up vote one of their 'mates - having not been on the forum for days. Not the first time such behaviour has been noted.

The truth here is that person(s) unknown are using this as a means to pursue their own agenda - and I doubt we would see so much outrage if the person in question was Dianne Abbott.

I’ve been on the forum every day for months and upvoted a number of comments that I agree with, on this and other threads. You note what the he’ll ever you like. I upvoted a RTB’s comment for the very first time because I rearly agree with him. On this occasion though I felt your comments were deeply unpleasant, not for the first time. 

How dear you try to squirm away from your nasty view by playing the race card! You really are the lowest of the low. You can **** off for all I care. The very first person I’ve ever blocked. Good riddance 

Edited by Hairy Canary

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

Missing Ricardo's lunch reports 😀

Bacon sandwich and a cup of tea yesterday BF.

• Like 2

Irish ( interim) PM,  Leo Varadkar , is a qualified GP, he has re enlisted with the health service here and will be doing one shift a week , on telephone assessment and referral  work.  Although not entirely essential,  very heartwarming to see a guy in power actually doing something that is not a photo opportunity.  

Wish Boris the Buffoon  a speedy recovery,  not because  I support him , but because I am human,  with a soupçon of empathy for nearly all other humans. Though struggling with anything but contempt for Trumpo.

Billo, you'd do well to dilute your bile under the current  circumstances. Sometimes a A measure of restraint  is  THE measure of a man.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Bacon sandwich and a cup of tea yesterday BF.

Streaky or back,? I'm a streaky man myself unsmoked, unless smoked somewhere natural and artisanal. Same with kippers, natural smoked or they stay on the shelf, ain't eating that weird yellow stuff, no chance.  Have supplied a local Lithuanian guy with s load of apple wood, he in turn will supply me with smoked goods as and when batches are produced. ... cash may be king but barter is beautiful. 

Edited by wcorkcanary

1 hour ago, Hairy Canary said:

I’ve been on the forum every day for months and upvoted a number of comments that I agree with, on this and other threads. You note what the he’ll ever you like. I upvoted a RTB’s comment for the very first time because I very really agree with him. On this occasion though I felt your comments were deeply unpleasant, not for the first time. 

How dear you try to squirm away from your nasty view by playing the race card! You really are the lowest of the low on this comment. You can **** off for all I care. The very first person I’ve ever blocked. Good riddance 

In bills defence, and this is only defending him from this specific accusation, I don't believe he is playing the race card. The amount of abuse Dianne Abbott gets here and elsewhere is despicable, people claim that it is purely based on her political leanings, (though many suspect otherwise) but I agree that were it DA that were in hospital there would be some horrible posts about her and her condition/recovery...

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Streaky or back,? I'm a streaky man myself unsmoked, unless smoked somewhere natural and artisanal. Same with kippers, natural smoked or they stay on the shelf, ain't eating that weird yellow stuff, no chance.  

Unsmoked back, done nice and crispy.

Starting to miss the odd pub lunch and a pleasant drive through Norfolks country lanes. I can't  wait for some sort of normality to return.

An excellent response to Boris's illness from Alistair Campbell on 5Live this morning. If he of all people can find it in himself to speak so highly of the Prime minister then everyone else should be able to. A good example to us all in the current situation 

I'm not celebrating Boris being in the hospital, but I'm also not going to get involved in the ridiculous love in either. Boris is a racist, who has almost certainly (in my opinion) caused the deaths of several NHS workers and hundreds of others due to sheer incompetence (cynics may argue more ideology than incompetence) over PPE and ventilators, and doing everything a month too late.

You are talking about a man who walked out on his wife of 15 years who had just been diagnosed with cancer, for his latest mistress. A bloke who says black people have lower IQs than white people. Sorry, I just don't seem to feel the overwhelming emotion that others seem to. Not to say, I wish him dead, I of course don't.

Like I said, I don't agree with the celebrating that is going on in some quarters, and I feel for his partner etc, but equally I won't be shedding any tears if the worst happens. There are far more deserving people who don't get anything like the amount of attention.... where is the national love in for the nurses and doctors that have died because Boris failed to equip them properly? 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Unsmoked back, done nice and crispy.

Starting to miss the odd pub lunch and a pleasant drive through Norfolks country lanes. I can't  wait for some sort of normality to return.

What's the secret to getting back bacon crispy? My dad used to get the rind wonderfully crispy without burning the bacon, but I just can't seem to manage it...

40 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Streaky or back,? I'm a streaky man myself unsmoked, unless smoked somewhere natural and artisanal. Same with kippers, natural smoked or they stay on the shelf, ain't eating that weird yellow stuff, no chance.  Have supplied a local Lithuanian guy with s load of apple wood, he in turn will supply me with smoked goods as and when batches are produced. ... cash may be king but barter is beautiful. 

I haven't eaten red meat for over 35 years, but this talk of bacon was tempting me until wcorkcanary mentioned "artisanal". Is that what they call "back-end" bacon?

Edited by Trevor Hockey's Beard
juxtaposition leading to accidental blocked word.
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

What's the secret to getting back bacon crispy? My dad used to get the rind wonderfully crispy without burning the bacon, but I just can't seem to manage it...

You should read Notes From A Small Island by Bill Bryson. He mentioned to two old ladies that the only thing he didn't like about Britain was that you couldn't get the bacon to crisp like it did in the USA. Even though it was the only thing that he didn't like the old ladies told him to book a flight 😂

The one thing Boris's PR keep getting wrong is belittling his condition. It makes them sound like some cold war Soviets. 

It was obvious things weren't going well when he still had symptoms towards the end of last week - I was thinking then this is going to get worse ,  then in for 'tests' and now 'precautionary' ICU. Its BS.

Please, we all wish Boris well but tell it as it is.

26 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Like most things in life, trial and error and plenty of practice.👍

2 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

I haven't eaten red meat for over 35 years, but this talk of bacon was tempting me until wcorkcanary mentioned "artis-****". Is that what they call "back-end" bacon?

I use that word semi sarcastically as its now hard to avoid it, as an awful lot of non processed food is labelled 'artisan'.  I just like to keep it real and basic if possible, wild, organic, free range etc .... There's a male pheasant that is making an awful racket betweeen dawn and 8 am.  He is looking more and more like he might be on the Dinner table come Easter Sunday. Should really get him tomorrow morning so he can hang for a few days before he's Lunch.  

48 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

In bills defence, and this is only defending him from this specific accusation, I don't believe he is playing the race card. The amount of abuse Dianne Abbott gets here and elsewhere is despicable, people claim that it is purely based on her political leanings, (though many suspect otherwise) but I agree that were it DA that were in hospital there would be some horrible posts about her and her condition/recovery...

Unfortunately thats probably true Cornish but I absolutely refute that those sort of comments would come from me. To say I was livid is an understatement.