Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

I Was There.

image.png.3b905aa622c4ffd401137f9acf5a2a40.png

Not in the photo but one of the record crowd of 43,894 v Leicester in FA Cup 6th Round in March 1963.

Now then ricardo who was the chap with the puppet and what was the significance of it as i have absolutely no idea ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Not in the photo but one of the record crowd of 43,894 v Leicester in FA Cup 6th Round in March 1963.

Now then ricardo who was the chap with the puppet and what was the significance of it as i have absolutely no idea ?

"Muffin the mule"....Now, is that a Capital Offence?.....

14 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Yes, I remember him. What the signifigance of Muffin the Mule was I never fathomed. He used to come round before the match and again at halftime during and just after the Cup Run and there was also a bloke with a yellow suit and a top hat. Then there was the other guy who often got rat-ar$ed and the police used to chase him all over the pitch.

That photo with the boy on the right reminds me of how I used to sit on the rail during the '59 cup run. It was a bit thin and didn't half cut into your bum after a while.

I was at the Leicester match, I reckon I must have been 17 at that time and stood just a few rows from the back of the South stand on the halfway line. I was on tip toes to see anything and there were hundreds behind me continually trying to push in. Happy days😀

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 1

I was there in the Barclay. Biggest crush in the stand I have ever known.

10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I bet that guy had to pull some strings to get a ticket...

Hee haw , hee hawlways got a ticket.

The biggest crowd I've stood in at Carrow Road was 37,000 against Palace in 1973. I could hardly move. How on earth did they get another six or seven thousand in against Leicester? It must have been a huge crush

On a similar theme (I wasn't born when the Leicester game took place btw),

I was there;

in the Barclay (and in line with) Fash's goal vs Liverpool

What other NCFC related "I was there" moments have people experienced?

I was there when we beat Stoke City 6 - 0 with at least half a dozen reserve players in the side. Pretty sure Stanley Matthews played ?

6 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

I was there when we beat Stoke City 6 - 0 with at least half a dozen reserve players in the side. Pretty sure Stanley Matthews played ?

He did.

Jimmy Oliver got a hat trick.

Yep, I was there too, 9th March 1963

Attendance was 25,950

Incredibly Matthews was 48 at the time and still a first team regular

Frank Ifield was at the top of the charts with The Wayward Wind

Edited by Making Plans

And I believe Jimmy McIlroy was making his debut for Stoke. The pitch was covered in sand. I changed position from the River End and got in early and stood against the railings on the halfway line so I could see Matthews close up.

He was and this is what he said about it - 

“They were calling me a veteran at 32 and he was 16 years older than me. It must have been my looks!

“It was wonderful to watch him play, let alone play alongside him. It was a nice time to be a footballer and a brilliant time to play for Stoke.

“There was no doubt Matthews had still got it. He didn’t charge at people like he might once have done, but he was still lively and lovely to watch at close quarters.

“He was such a talent and just his presence gave us a psychological edge, too.”

Although we beat them 6-0 Stoke were still promoted to Division 1

17 hours ago, vos said:

I was there in the Barclay. Biggest crush in the stand I have ever known.

We started in the River End, then moved into the enclosure at the front of the Main Stand before being told to get over the fence and sit alongside the pitch. First time I'd sat through a match.

Would love to hear more about that Palace match. It must have been one of the greatest nights at Carrow Road. Huge crowd, and huge last-minute drama. I’ve heard tales about how far away the roar was heard.

Other matches we don’t hear enough about - the Chelsea league cup semis, the away one as well as both home ones. Anyone go to the away leg? I’ve seen a post on a Chelsea site that we had lots there. The fog-spoiled home leg must have been a bizarre experience; I’ve read about it - but how was the re-run?

And on the subject of big crowds and crushes - the most anxious I’ve been was West Ham away in the FA cup in 1989. The terrace seemed rammed, not helped by the inflatable fashion that saw the attendance boosted by an orca paddling pool that took up a fair chunk of space. The terrace itself was packed, but it got a little more uncomfortable as we left to find ourselves shut in (tbf probably for our own protection).

24 minutes ago, marinersawan said:

Would love to hear more about that Palace match. It must have been one of the greatest nights at Carrow Road. Huge crowd, and huge last-minute drama. I’ve heard tales about how far away the roar was heard.

Other matches we don’t hear enough about - the Chelsea league cup semis, the away one as well as both home ones. Anyone go to the away leg? I’ve seen a post on a Chelsea site that we had lots there. The fog-spoiled home leg must have been a bizarre experience; I’ve read about it - but how was the re-run?

For the Palace game I was on late shift and couldn't  get a swap so had to work. We heard the score was 1-1 and stood outside at the back of Whitefriars near the end and heard a tremendous roar when Dave Stringer scored the winner.

11 hours ago, marinersawan said:

And on the subject of big crowds and crushes - the most anxious I’ve been was West Ham away in the FA cup in 1989. The terrace seemed rammed, not helped by the inflatable fashion that saw the attendance boosted by an orca paddling pool that took up a fair chunk of space. The terrace itself was packed, but it got a little more uncomfortable as we left to find ourselves shut in (tbf probably for our own protection).

Police made us go in early , thousands of Norwich fans  in the stadium with our inflatable canaries way before most West Ham fans turned up . It was absolutely rammed , and I remember getting het up with the crush in the cage like stairways on the way out . It was bloody awful . I thought of all that as the Hillsborough news came through after the semi at Villa Park . 

Edited by Pockthorpe

I remember getting crushed watching  the Liverpool match, from the halfway line in the South Stand, October 1972, 36,000+ gate.  It felt like an away match, Liverpool supporters everywhere, swaying ( unheard of in the South Stand; then anyway).  Once or twice I remember getting lifted by the crowd, fortunately a crowd barrier nearby!

I was also at the Chelsea match which was abandoned at half time.  Really strange.  Everything going pretty well for City until the fog started to swirl in.  Wasn’t a problem initially, but it just got thicker and thicker and the referee had to call it a day.  I seem to remember the ref was a fairly frequent visitor to CR, short, plump, bald, resembling Mr Pickwick and whose party piece was to gallop down the pitch after awarding a free kick, always accompanied by predictable jeering from the Norwich faithful!  

Things you remember.

37 minutes ago, fotheringay said:

I remember getting crushed watching  the Liverpool match, from the halfway line in the South Stand, October 1972, 36,000+ gate.  It felt like an away match, Liverpool supporters everywhere, swaying ( unheard of in the South Stand; then anyway).  Once or twice I remember getting lifted by the crowd, fortunately a crowd barrier nearby!

I was also at the Chelsea match which was abandoned at half time.  Really strange.  Everything going pretty well for City until the fog started to swirl in.  Wasn’t a problem initially, but it just got thicker and thicker and the referee had to call it a day.  I seem to remember the ref was a fairly frequent visitor to CR, short, plump, bald, resembling Mr Pickwick and whose party piece was to gallop down the pitch after awarding a free kick, always accompanied by predictable jeering from the Norwich faithful!  

Things you remember.

I thought Gordon Hill was the ref, on the way home we just followed the car lights in front, couldn’t see a thing, we followed a car all the way into a farmyard and had to turn round

8 hours ago, fotheringay said:

I was also at the Chelsea match which was abandoned at half time.  Really strange.  Everything going pretty well for City until the fog started to swirl in.  Wasn’t a problem initially, but it just got thicker and thicker and the referee had to call it a day. 

Very strange indeed because the fog bound Chelsea game that I went to (20th Dec 1972) didn't get abandoned until the 85th minute.

More info here -

image.png.b076cf3358f24a2406b75f9ade623935.png

Edited by Making Plans

12 hours ago, marinersawan said:

I was 13 at the time and went straight from school. I had sandwiches in my pocket but couldn't get them to my mouth. 

The noise was extraordinary. I lived in Poringland at the time and my father left home to come and pick me up just as Stringer scored the winner. He must have been about 4 miles away as the crow flies and he heard it clearly. 

Keelan's Grandad would probably say that Keelan kept us in Division 1 that year. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Stood in the Barclay for the Palace match. Some Palace fans turned up in the wrong end and stood just in front of us. Whe nPalace scored all they could do was smile to each other. When Stringer scored I am sure they ended up crushed into the concrete we were stood on. They might still be in it somewhere.

Makes up for them chucking bricks at us after the away match earlier in the year.

Thing is apart from the FA Cup, this was all new to us long sufferers