Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Mick McCarthy Steps Down.

I always liked McCarthy's straight talking. Under the circumstances he's made the right decision. 

Feel for Mick  , as he came in to get his Country out of a hole. Stephen  Kenny is a bright prospect  though. Did a fantastic job both with Dundalk  and Irish u21s. This decision may well precipitate an overhaul  of the National squad as Kenny oversees a totally different style to Mick, in fact not dissimilar to our own. Will be very interesting to see how this pans out, the Playoff v Slovakia  could in theory be Kennys first game in charge, if no friendly or Nations cup games are arranged beforehand.  If  SK goes with youth rather than experience, then of course Adam Idah will feature  as hes one of SKs  " Four Strikers" ... he has referenced  the wealth of attacking options before ,stating hed happily play any or all of them......a bit of a change from Mick I reckon.

On 05/04/2020 at 14:16, wcorkcanary said:

Feel for Mick  , as he came in to get his Country out of a hole. Stephen  Kenny is a bright prospect  though. Did a fantastic job both with Dundalk  and Irish u21s. This decision may well precipitate an overhaul  of the National squad as Kenny oversees a totally different style to Mick, in fact not dissimilar to our own. Will be very interesting to see how this pans out, the Playoff v Slovakia  could in theory be Kennys first game in charge, if no friendly or Nations cup games are arranged beforehand.  If  SK goes with youth rather than experience, then of course Adam Idah will feature  as hes one of SKs  " Four Strikers" ... he has referenced  the wealth of attacking options before ,stating hed happily play any or all of them......a bit of a change from Mick I reckon.

Was Mick not always a short term appointment? I thought he was only expecting to be in for 12 months whilst Kenny got some experience of the national setup and could be raised into this level of management...

1 hour ago, cornish sam said:

Was Mick not always a short term appointment? I thought he was only expecting to be in for 12 months whilst Kenny got some experience of the national setup and could be raised into this level of management...

Mick was contracted till end of euro campaign,  original dates of course.  Once that was postponed,  something had to give. Weirdest bit is that recently  robbie Keane  was given a four year 5k a week deal by fai. .He is not part of  stephen Kenny's  coaching staff,  though he was part of mick's.