Sign in to follow this  
Hoola Han Solo

PL statement

A fair start position, tbh.  It won’t be enough for some (and never will be), but tbh would any of us happily give up a third of our salaries, however much or little that may be?

What is being proposed are conditional part reductions and referrals, rather than a straight relinquishment of 30% of salary. Sounds a socially responsible proposal.

What worries me is that players are almost always accustomed to having agents handle all financial discussions and decisions, so how will the consultation process be conducted. If the PFA leads, will agents need to agree to proposals? Agents will be losing out - many are on 15% of gross salary so they will be hit in the pocket. Interesting. 

I guess the PFA players' reps will have a key role at each club.

4 hours ago, Pugin said:

What is being proposed are conditional part reductions and referrals, rather than a straight relinquishment of 30% of salary. Sounds a socially responsible proposal.

What worries me is that players are almost always accustomed to having agents handle all financial discussions and decisions, so how will the consultation process be conducted. If the PFA leads, will agents need to agree to proposals? Agents will be losing out - many are on 15% of gross salary so they will be hit in the pocket. Interesting. 

I guess the PFA players' reps will have a key role at each club.

therein lies a big part of the problem, Any reduction in players wages  would mean a reduction in how full the trough is. And there are plenty enough snouts in there.

My though is that a a 10-155 reduction in Rees-Moggs income is one bottle of Champagne less in the case - whereas the same reduction for many is that of head above water or sinking (see Mr Micawber), So yes it is affordable, and ill behove anyone who says it isn't.

As admirable as the money towards non PL clubs it is much a matter of not letting the structure collapse from below. And much of that will go to player wages.

It was always going to be the case that the PL would finish the season. The TV money rrequires that it does. However whether this problem causes a much needed realigment of the game we shall have to see. My thought is that whatever happens in the short term it qill eventually return to what we had before.

44 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Football funded by attendance at the gate Bill?

Unfortunately I don't think professional football was ever funded that way.

And it would raise the question of how you would deal with variation in cup games.

Bristol Rovers draw Man U aw ay, Bristol City draw Carlisle away.

Would B'mouth be able tp cpmpete with Sunderland etc

The genie is out of the bottle I'm afraid

unlike George Best where the genius was on the bottle

If it was funded that way then we’d have a “proper” Division 1 again filled with “big clubs” that included Leeds, Sunderland, Sheff Wed etc. 

Fortunately for us Bournemouth, Burnley, Watford and Palace get lower crowds - out you lot go and let your betters in instead! 

Unfortunately for us several other clubs have bigger grounds - including Derby, Forest, Boro, Cardiff, Birmingham, and Ipswich 😞

Edited by Surfer

But that assumes bigger grounds, bigger gates

All other things being equal the probability of that is high - but not guaranteed, as our impoverished neighbours and their half empty  ground demonstrate