Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Orient 1972 There's people on the pitch...

"On the 24th of April 1972, a fondly remembered match took place between Norwich and Orient at Brisbane Road. It was the penultimate game of the season and the Canaries won 2-1 with a Graham Paddon penalty and a goal from Kenny Foggo. The significance of the occasion was that it secured Norwich City's promotion to the top flight of English football for the first time."

However the people of Norwich didn't appear to be too impressed...

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/118588

That has to be the greatest night of my football life Double N. My mate and I had been dropping hints at work that we we like to go to the match, we were only apprentices, and lo and behold, the manager said off you go. We picked up the then Miss KG, and off we went. I remember a lad we went to school with grabbed one of the penalty spots

I bet Orient must have thought all their Xmases etc. Not only 15 K of us but loads of Arsenal and Chelsea fans turned up just to see what we were like.

Watford was good but this was better.

Happy Days.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Rickkkyyy was there

I'm sure I dropped a five pound note on the pitch afterwards. You didn't pick it up did you?🆘

Was it one of those old white fivers, about the size of the Eastern Evening News?

I may have seen it blowing down Brisbane Rd.

Was it one of those old white fivers, about the size of the Eastern Evening News?

Yep, the same one. Now come on Pinnochio, tell the truth

What a night that was and i remember it took nearly all night to get home having made a few refreshment breaks on the old A11. Stopped at one pub somewhere near Harlow and the landlord was swamped by City fans so he was unpacking brand new dimple pint mugs from cardboard boxes packed with straw. Never since have i drunk a pint with straw stubble floating on the top.

Edited by TIL 1010

43 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yep, the same one. Now come on Pinnochio, tell the truth

Sorry I spent it on a weeks caravan holiday at California Sands.🏝️

Remember it like it was yesterday. I was only 4 but remember my dad coming in in the middle of the night waking us all up to celebrate. One of the first things he said was that someone had cut up the penalty spot.

• Like 1

that Thanks for posting this. I'd never seen any footage of the game before. I was only 12 at the time and didn't go. Years later I heard one of the players say they could hardly hear Saunders in the changing room before the game because of the crowd noise.

Everything that has happened to our club since stemmed from that season and those last 2 games

• Like 1

Thanks NN.

It was one of my happiest memories of football. I was still at primary school so parts of my memory are a little blurred, but I remember the excitement of walking around and seeing so many other city fans and the excitement after the match. I couldn't believe that we were going to see George Best and Bobby Charlton next year! 

Happy days. 😀

Love the comments at the end of the video - I'm sure some of them are posters on here still!

Best season ever in my books managed to get my face on the front of the EDP special with my mate was aged16 had soaking wet hair after running over pitch v Watford away exciting times 

Not able to go to the match, that match was still one of those "I can remember where I was when" moments. So a Monday evening at home,  the living room at home was a no go area, everything covered with sheets while being decorated, so we were all crowded into the kitchen with a black and white TV, waiting for Anglia TV to flash up the scores, which they duly did. A lot of tension and anticipation waiting to find out the final score, until around 9.20 when the final score was revealed we all went ballistic.  Great day for a Norwich supporter!

I've got the penalty spot somewhere. Looks like half an ounce of Old Holborn these days.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

Any highlights anywhere ?

The only highlights I've ever seen are the ones on the opening post.

Listening to Sir Geoffrey on the highlights, he mentioned 1956-57 when we finished bottom of the 3rd Division South and had to be re-elected to stay in the football league.  I had a look at the table and shock horror, who were top?  You guessed it.  L1swich.  Never heard of that before and puts even more on our top of the championship promotion and their bottom place.