Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Matchday casual staff pay

I don't have any particularly strong feelings about the furlough and the players wages at the minute, I'll wait to see what the industry standard becomes. I guess the club doesn't want to risk putting itself at a competitive disadvantage, and although we moved early with the furlough thing I suspect that other clubs will follow here.

Take players wages for example, they could all agree to take a 20% paycut today and we could announce that to plaudits, but what if FifPro and PFA then agree a recommended 30% across the board paycut for the Premier League, club would have royally stitched itself up? 

But one area where I think we definitely have lacked class is our failure to guarentee that matchday staff like stewards and the people who make the Bovril's will be paid for the rest of the season? 

A lot of other clubs seem to have moved quickly to ensure that this was the case, one (larger) club said that this would cost them £750,000. 

I'd have at least thought the club and players could get together to guarantee this at the very minimum? The stewards will have day jobs, many will be taking a 20% pay cut or even have to sign on the dole, would be a nice gesture to ensure that they at least get their £80 or whatever it is from the postponed fixtures? 

Not too much to ask surely? The players clubbed together £200k, I do feel that the players guaranteeing to pay the people who make the games possible on a Saturday afternoon would have been a gesture more worthy of praise!

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Less than an hour ago ' Er Indoors received an e-mail from the club with regard to being furloughed and asking for her agreement. This was to be returned by 10th April but she agreed straightaway.

Its all about perception;

Leeds United announced quite quickly that their players would cover the costs of 'non-playing' staff,

This is the same Leeds United who were in for Zlatan Ibrahimovic in January.

5 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Less than an hour ago ' Er Indoors received an e-mail from the club with regard to being furloughed and asking for her agreement. This was to be returned by 10th April but she agreed straightaway.

Glad to be of service, lol

17 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

“‘Er Indoors“ doesn’t really narrow down the reference these days