Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

Prem league date pushed back.

The prem league are pushing back the date of any restart to beyond April 30th.

Leaves about a month to complete the season before player contract issues arise.

one can only doubt we will ever restart this season at all.

• Like 1

Unless all leagues start and finish at the same time the next transfer window will be interesting.  Belgians first to blink expect others to follow in the near future.  PL need to show strong leadership some hope. 

There is no way the current season will be finished by August. The government's lockdown legislation is for six months with a review every three weeks. The Premier league management and EFL, in my opinion, either have to null and void the current season or cause uncertainty over two seasons. The knock on effect of attempting to finish this season is to great. 

Edited by City fan
Spell check

9 minutes ago, City fan said:

The Premier league management and EFL, in my opinion, either have to null and void the current season or cause uncertainty over two seasons.

I really don't see any certainty in either scenario. I see nothing wrong in principle in finishing the season at a later date and then going into next season late.  Even if it was to be voided next season is liable to start late, so late in fact that it will be difficult to fit everything in like cups, internationals etc etc. 

There is a scenario where the ban on large gatherings may be in place for a lot longer, setting the date back for football maybe until next year. In that situation next season may have to be cancelled as well and if that happens, the best scenario would be to pick up where we left off, finish the games in the Spring next year, so that the season starting in August 2021 can start as normal with all relegation and promotion issues sorted where they should be - on the pitch.  

The truth is we just don't know, so making any hard and fast decisions now could be a mistake. Imo, simpest thing is to put everything on hold until the situation becomes clearer, which might be some time, then make what is the best decision at that time.  It leaves an element of uncertainty there for sure, but at least it leaves all options open and then the right decisions can be made at the right time. 

• Like 1

They could end looking a bit sheepish if all the major European leagues follow the example set by Belgium yesterday and declare their seasons finished. 

4 minutes ago, Barry Brockes said:

They could end looking a bit sheepish if all the major European leagues follow the example set by Belgium yesterday and declare their seasons finished. 

Absolutely and if the Belgians have cancelled with only a single game to go they clearly do not believe that a summer completion is feasible or remotely likely.

Absolutely gutless. Is it any wonder the players and agents dominate the game?

Do the right thing and finish it. I couldn't care less if we are relegated by some formula because what is the point of being in a league that is dominated by a few foreign owned clubs?

The world hasn't seen such a crisis in 75 years. And sport, football in particular, has shown itself up for what it is.

• Thanks 1