Sign in to follow this  
City fan

The current season

Well obviously we have to import our currants as our mean temperature aren't high enough to promote the growth. SPring is the season they begin to flourish.

I think we have to hope the southern hemisphere have enough in stock or the currant season may see the end of the spotted ****.

• Haha 2

I don't think anyone knows what the real options are, but I have consistently said that declaring the season null and void will be very much the last available option used, and I can't immediately see any circumstances under which that will happen despite lots of people on here convincing themselves that it is inevitable. 

The main concern at the moment of the ruling bodies is to keep clubs alive so that there is a game to return to - you don't do that by declaring a season null and void and inviting lawsuits worth billions of pounds. I expect small steps towards things like agreed wage deferrals, contract suspensions etc whilst this whole thing plays out.

If you take the TV money out of the equation most football clubs are comparatively small businesses and they won't survive long without cashflow - keeping most clubs going is the real challenge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I don't think anyone knows what the real options are, but I have consistently said that declaring the season null and void will be very much the last available option used, and I can't immediately see any circumstances under which that will happen despite lots of people on here convincing themselves that it is inevitable. 

The main concern at the moment of the ruling bodies is to keep clubs alive so that there is a game to return to - you don't do that by declaring a season null and void and inviting lawsuits worth billions of pounds. I expect small steps towards things like agreed wage deferrals, contract suspensions etc whilst this whole thing plays out.

If you take the TV money out of the equation most football clubs are comparatively small businesses and they won't survive long without cashflow - keeping most clubs going is the real challenge.

Well cross reference back to The English Game. What nonsense. You literally can’t kill the game while there are people alive to play it. What may well go to the wall are professional clubs. Well that’s why we have bankruptcy laws to allow the assets to be repurposed. If governments think the game is too important socially to allow clubs to die, then nationalize them. Return the game to the people. It’s financial peanuts in the big scheme of things. 

Cancel and void the season, Because if you play behind closed doors for the sake of TV all the non-premier league clubs will get no revenue anyway. Better to use the unspent PL relegation monies for the 3 no longer relegated clubs as a compensation fund for the non-PL clubs - over P120 million should be available to 72 clubs. The FA can take care of the non-league clubs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

Well cross reference back to The English Game. What nonsense. You literally can’t kill the game while there are people alive to play it. What may well go to the wall are professional clubs. Well that’s why we have bankruptcy laws to allow the assets to be repurposed. If governments think the game is too important socially to allow clubs to die, then nationalize them. Return the game to the people. It’s financial peanuts in the big scheme of things. 

Cancel and void the season, Because if you play behind closed doors for the sake of TV all the non-premier league clubs will get no revenue anyway. Better to use the unspent PL relegation monies for the 3 no longer relegated clubs as a compensation fund for the non-PL clubs - over P120 million should be available to 72 clubs. The FA can take care of the non-league clubs. 

You seem to be attacking me for something I haven't said! Who said anything about killing the game? My point (and I've only made the one on all these threads) is that null and void is unlikely. They will try anything and everything before that option - I still think an indefinite suspension is much more likely. Before they do anything, they have to solve the cashflow issue - null and void doesn't do that.

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

I thought Ricardo had already decided 😉

I have , it's over🙅

• Like 2

Just end it now. Its pretty inevitable. It will will make it easier for clubs to plan with a bit of certainty. 

However If the games do go ahead behind closed doors I don't want a refund. Stream them for free and I'll donate my season ticket refund to charities helping those affected by the lockdown. 

20 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

This season will be finished even at the expense of next season if necessary.

I think the financial cost of not starting next year is far greater than writing this one off. Money will talk.

They will try and finish this one but they will definetly start next year.

• Like 1

RFU have cancelled all Rugby below the Premiership and are using a formula to decide promotion and relegation. That means Newcastle will replace Saracens.

It seems they contacted clubs to find out who really can afford promotion and who would rather be relegated.

At grass roots level, rugby is struggling. At the end of last season, in Cornwall there were 29 rugby teams, not clubs, and 256 football teams. The figure doesn't include colts, minis, juniors in either code.

This season alone, two rugby clubs have gone under in Cornwall, one a famous old club. The main reason is that the league system means so much travelling. My team Camborne basically told the players that we could not afford promotion. If we had, we would face 6 trips to the M25, one to Southend and one to virtually Leicester. Overnight trips that the club could not afford.

Maybe football has got to look a lot more at regionalising if possible. Kings Lynn certainly need more funding if they are going to have to travel so much. Truro in Cornwall face massive away mid week trips. 

The greed that is the EPL has got to take a look at itself. They have to realise how false it all is. Now Derby have to borrow another £30M to keep going despite them probably under the microscope with FFP. Are their players taking a cut? I hope so.

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

This season alone, two rugby clubs have gone under in Cornwall, one a famous old club. The main reason is that the league system means so much travelling. My team Camborne basically told the players that we could not afford promotion. If we had, we would face 6 trips to the M25, one to Southend and one to virtually Leicester. Overnight trips that the club could not afford.

Lowestoft Town were screwed over in a similar way when they were promoted to the National League and ended up in the Northern division.  Almost every away trip became an overnight trip and the increase in revenue didn't go close to breaking even. 

10 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Maybe football has got to look a lot more at regionalising if possible. Kings Lynn certainly need more funding if they are going to have to travel so much. Truro in Cornwall face massive away mid week trips. 

I've been thinking this for ages. We have five national divisions in England. Five! No other country in Europe has more than three, except Scotland which has four- and those are all small divisions of 10-12 teams anyway. Germany and France have three, Spain and Italy only have two. Why on earth do we need five? 

It's a similar story with our 24-team divisions from tiers 2-5, which is due to happen in the sixth tier soon. There's always fixture congestion at the end of the season in the fifth and sixth tiers anyway with 46 league games and two or three cups, so why have so many teams? The only other league I can think of in Europe with 24 teams is the Portuguese seclnd division.

A simple solution to both problems would be to reduce the EFL and National League divisions to 22 teams and effectively merge League Two and the National Premier, so we have three national divisions and the fourth split in two. The National League North/South could then have a third league added and those three could be the fifth tier, with 174 teams in eight divisions over the top five tiers, compared to having 160 (soon to be 164) in seven divisions over six tiers.

Third Division North / Third Division South worked well enough for almost 40 years following WW1