Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

Are people expected to quit

If your employer says you have to go into work. Cannot remote work(in their opinion) and they are not going to claim any 80% wages are you supposed to quit your job to self isolate?

Seems like construction companies feel they should not conform. They all need to down tools. We need 100% commitment to get this done. 

15 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

Seems like construction companies feel they should not conform. They all need to down tools. We need 100% commitment to get this done. 

I drove past the Duke Street construction site a couple of days ago - there was a group of workers bunched together discussing something, clearly not observing social distancing at all. 

A lot of those construction workers will be self employed sub contractors that the government completely ignored in their rescue plan until late last week, and until they were forced to include us. Even though it’s now in place we will still have to wait into June at the earliest to see any money from it. It’s very easy to sit and point the finger when you’re working from home on full monthly pay...

Edited by JF
  • Like 2

The Company my Nephew works for (food supply industry but he works in the office and has a laptop) told their employees they couldn’t  work from home as they didn’t trust them to actually do their work. So he has been having to go into the office along with the others. 

Absolutely pathetic in my opinion. 

Anyone else in the same boat?

1 hour ago, JF said:

A lot of those construction workers will be self employed sub contractors that the government completely ignored in their rescue plan until late last week, and until they were forced to include us. Even though it’s now in place we will still have to wait into June at the earliest to see any money from it. It’s very easy to sit and point the finger when you’re working from home on full monthly pay...

I have clients who started self employment after April 2019 and they get nothing. Others who started after April 2016 who will get very little because it took them a while to get their businesses going. 

At the end of his speech the Chancellor said that the self employed would have to pay more at the end of this to even things up. He didn't say anything about the self employed being given access to the benefits that the employed receive. All this from a man who admitted to being surprised how many self employed people there are in this country. 

I have had grown men close to tears on the phone to me. These are hard working decent people. It beggars belief 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, pearsos said:

The Company my Nephew works for (food supply industry but he works in the office and has a laptop) told their employees they couldn’t  work from home as they didn’t trust them to actually do their work. So he has been having to go into the office along with the others. 

Absolutely pathetic in my opinion. 

Anyone else in the same boat?

....well if someone in that office contracts this virus and passes on to an elderly relative who then dies...hopefully the boss of that company is put up for a charge of manslaughter...

• Like 2

I'm not a lawyer but I certainly wouldn't quit - that takes the responsibility away from the employer.

If it were me, I'd write a very polite email (keep the proof) saying that you wish to follow the government's guidelines and want confirmation that your employer is following these. 

• Like 1

My Grandson works for a clothing company and because of online sales, the warehouse stayed open. One member of staff complained, walked out and posted on social media which in turn made the local news. 

The company waited two days, as if to say we won't be bullied into anything and then announced you could take a furlough but if you stayed working they would pay time and a half. My Grandson, along with nearly all others, including middle management, took the furlough.

Edited by keelansgrandad

I'm staggered that in 2020 some employers still have such poor relationships with their employees. Legally, employers are on very shaky ground if they insist on people attending work and they are not key workers.