Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Best performance by a visiting player

As you may have guessed, I'm getting bored. But the best performance by a visiting player I can remember was Paul Gascoigne for Spurs in the early 1990's just before they played Arsenal in the FA Cup semi final. He had been out injured for a month and needed to prove he was fit. Substituted after 80 minutes and still the only visiting player I can remember being applauded off the pitch 

I remember being impressed by Scott Parker, when he was a lad, playing for Charlton.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

That b*oody Suarez seemed to put in his best displays at Carrow Rd but I’ll go for Thierry Henry in that fabulous Invincibles side of 2004/5.

He was just magnificent that day.

That was definitely the best visiting team performance here. 

All of the above and off the top of my head these two stand out . 

Jack Butland in goal for Stoke in 2015 and Gareth Bale in 2013 when he scored after that run from inside his own half . 

Edited by Pockthorpe
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

All of the above and off the top of my head these two stand out . 

Jack Butland in goal for Stoke in 2015 and Gareth Bale in 2013 when he scored after than run from inside his own half . 

Butland got us relegated didn't he? 

Bale was good that night. What a waste 

38 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Butland got us relegated didn't he? 

Bale was good that night. What a waste 

Did he ? I can’t remember, I’d have to look it up ! 
He also had a broken finger that game too ! Happened to be right behind the goal with my boys and he just made a string of saves he had no right to make. Think that Bale game was during a real purple patch for him when he seemed to score one great goal after another . Like you say , we’ve just not seen enough of him. Although we did that night .

Edited by Pockthorpe

25 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

Did he ? I can’t remember, I’d have to look it up ! 
He also had a broken finger that game too ! Happened to be right behind the goal with my boys and he just made a string of saves he had no right to make. Think that Bale game was during a real purple patch for him when he seemed to score one great goal after another . Like you say , we’ve just not seen enough of him. Although we did that night .

We should have had 3 points. At the end that would have kept us up. Definitely the best visiting performance by a goalkeeper 

• Like 1

Just now, dylanisabaddog said:

We should have had 3 points. At the end that would have kept us up. Definitely the best visiting performance by a goalkeeper 

Yeh I recall we had over 30 shots in that game too.

Pritchard and Butterfield did well enough in their games against us to win them transfers. Not that they then did enough.

Wes was great in his Blackpool game against us which of course alerted Roeder. It was the only thing Roeder did that was great in my opinion and I thank him for all those Wes years.

• Thanks 1

Neville Southall always seemed to play like a man possessed against us.

The invincible Arsenal side was a great thing to watch, you had little choice but to admire that side.

I remember watching Man City here a few years ago and being mightily impressed with a Sylvain Distin and Richard Dunne partnership at centre half for Man City. Not everyone's first thought I am sure, but on that day they were great as a partnership, and it has stuck in my mind.

Off the top of my head, other significant games , against us, were David Marshall (Cardiff)  Jack Butland (Stoke)

26 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I remember watching Man City here a few years ago and being mightily impressed with a Sylvain Distin and Richard Dunne partnership at centre half for Man City. Not everyone's first thought I am sure, but on that day they were great as a partnership, and it has stuck in my mind.

Off the top of my head, other significant games , against us, were David Marshall (Cardiff)  Jack Butland (Stoke)

You're the second to mention Butland. He was amazing that day and I went away thinking he'd be England's goalkeeper for years. Must have just been a good day 

Gerrard as an individual when worthy was manager. He really stood out and drove a very average team forward. Team wise Arsenal or Chelsea that season toyed with us the way a cat plays with an animal its caught. They knew they were so much better than us without even trying. 

Jordan Henderson in an England u21 game. I'd never heard of him beforehand and Wiltshire was getting all the hype. Henderson ran that game from start to finish. Was obvious he'd end up somewhere better than Sunderland (no offence) I think there was a penalty shootout at the end of that game too as it was just before a tournament but it could've been a different  one. 

7 hours ago, Block Y Seat 176 said:

If my memory serves me correctly a young lad called Gary Lineker scored a hatrick at Carrow Rd for Everton. I was impressed.😭

I have a feeling your memory has let you down here, Block Y. 

38 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I have a feeling your memory has let you down here, Block Y. 

That’s what happens when you have too many beers and post in the early hours🙃

Some good shouts in this thread.

I remember being pretty impressed by Matt Le Tissier when he came to Carrow Road.

Whoever said Wes when he came with Blackpool is so right. Alex Pritchard did the same when he came to Norwich on loan with Brentford.

Last season Callum Paterson impressed me at Preston (now WBA on loan from Sheffield United).

Paul Walsh for Charlton, he would have only been about 16 at the time. John Chiedoze is a name I’d completely forgotten about 

Another Chris Waddle performance - this time when he had just broken through at Newcastle. For some reason I was in the City Stand, can't remember why - but he was brilliant at times.

My memory of him hugging the wrong touchline and causing chaos, every time he got the ball. In my memory, at one stage he received the ball, swerved his hips about an inch and completely wrong-footed 3 defenders! 

David Fairclough - the original "supersub" - against us in the 1970s - scored a hat trick I think?

1 minute ago, Badger said:

David Fairclough - the original "supersub" - against us in the 1970s - scored a hat trick I think?

Just outside. Feb 1980 , we lost 5-3 in THAT game 🙂 

The Henry one for me- just amazing.

I remember a slight twinge of embarrassment hearing our fans chant 'who are ya?' at Dennis Bergkamp when he came to take a corner. 

5 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Just outside. Feb 1980 , we lost 5-3 in THAT game 🙂 

I knew I was still a teenager! 😁