Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

Corbyn Speaks

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The tories in the last election showed they had learned from what labour had done in terms of social media in the previous election which was cynical, misleading and mostly lies and exeageration.   So neither party has any credit there.......they are as bad as each other - all the tories did this time was fight back using the same low type of campaign as labour.

Billy Connolly  hit the nail on the head When he said that anyone who wanted to be a politician should be barred from the job.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The tories in the last election showed they had learned from what labour had done in terms of social media in the previous election which was cynical, misleading and mostly lies and exeageration.   So neither party has any credit there.......they are as bad as each other - all the tories did this time was fight back using the same low type of campaign as labour.

88% of Conservative social media advertising was found to be false or misleading. They weren't fighting back. They were conning an electorate. Again, with the same people running the campaign. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Herman said:

88% of Conservative social media advertising was found to be false or misleading. They weren't fighting back. They were conning an electorate. Again, with the same people running the campaign. 

Social media was innundated with blatant and misleading propoganda from labour in both the last elections - so I hope you're not going to tell me labour don't do the same things as the tories.  In the previous election Corbyn only did well because he and his party mobilised social media whereas May tried to run a traditional style campaign.  Boris simply moved with the times to catch up with what everyone else was doing - swamping social media with lies, exageration and misinformation...just like labour.  The tories may have had more money to do it, but in essence they are no better or worse than labour in that respect.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Social media was innundated with blatant and misleading propoganda from labour in both the last elections - so I hope you're not going to tell me labour don't do the same things as the tories.  In the previous election Corbyn only did well because he and his party mobilised social media whereas May tried to run a traditional style campaign.  Boris simply moved with the times to catch up with what everyone else was doing - swamping social media with lies, exageration and misinformation...just like labour.  The tories may have had more money to do it, but in essence they are no better or worse than labour in that respect.

 

^ This is boll1cks.  See below BBC link - 88% misleading ads from Tories, and 7% from Labour - but don't let facts get in the way of nonsense.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50726500

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Orly said:
35 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Social media was innundated with blatant and misleading propoganda from labour in both the last elections - so I hope you're not going to tell me labour don't do the same things as the tories.  In the previous election Corbyn only did well because he and his party mobilised social media whereas May tried to run a traditional style campaign.  Boris simply moved with the times to catch up with what everyone else was doing - swamping social media with lies, exageration and misinformation...just like labour.  The tories may have had more money to do it, but in essence they are no better or worse than labour in that respect.

 

^ This is boll1cks.  See below BBC link - 88% misleading ads from Tories, and 7% from Labour - but don't let facts get in the way of nonsense.

I am talking about general use of the internet for spreading misinformation and lies.  I'll agree that the tories took it to a new level, but please don't tell me labour were not doing the same kinds of things with social media, they were just not using ads to do it.  What put me off labour in the previous election was the constant stream of left wing commentators spouting exagerated nonsense on social media. 

What the tories did was wrong - they made use of their money to spread their nonsense in the form of ads, but it's really all part of the same thing all politicians in the two main parties get up to - lies and misinformation.  I make a point of not believing any of them, labour or tory and imo anyone that pays any attention to them thinking any of them are telling truths, is wasting their time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Social media was innundated with blatant and misleading propoganda from labour in both the last elections - so I hope you're not going to tell me labour don't do the same things as the tories.  In the previous election Corbyn only did well because he and his party mobilised social media whereas May tried to run a traditional style campaign.  Boris simply moved with the times to catch up with what everyone else was doing - swamping social media with lies, exageration and misinformation...just like labour.  The tories may have had more money to do it, but in essence they are no better or worse than labour in that respect.

I wonder what percentage of your posts on this subject would be shown to be misleading.

Perhaps you could post up some example to back your claim, or maybe an attempt at a rebuttal of the BBC information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Bill said:

I wonder what percentage of your posts on this subject would be shown to be misleading.

Perhaps you could post up some example to back your claim, or maybe an attempt at a rebuttal of the BBC information

Well, dobbin, all you have to do is read my posts again and see that my main thrust is in talking about a general malaise in pollitics where politicians of all kinds use all kinds of methods at misleading the public.  I agreed that the tories were wrong to use misleading ads and I never questioned the BBC's information on that, merely putting my argument that they are all at it - ie misleading the public. What makes it worse is you then get this "holier than thou" attitude where people accuse their opponents of all sorts, when they would do exactly the same thing if they had the resources to do it.  

Ther sooner we get smaller parties and an end to two party politics the better we will all be.  The biggest laugh is that in the last election so many natural labour supporters voted conservative in some vain hope that they will do the business where labour wouldn't.  Duped, hook line and sinker.  The misleading tory ads and their strategy worked - that people couldn't see through it is scary - and we are stuck with them for five years. I suppose there is the hope that Boris might truly actually be some kind of true one nation prime minister, able to reunite the country and see us to the promised brexitland....it's a tall order, but you never know.

 

Edited by lake district canary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I bet somebody is hoping for Gateway 502 to make an appearance again this evening.

I heard that Pete sits in his dark lair deep in the bowels of the Archant building observing all this nonsense on a bank of throbbing screens.

When he tires of the circus clowns swinging their handbags he pulls a big lever marked ‘ 502 ‘ and takes away their toy for another day.

Makes their rants at Archant all the more amusing 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Well, dobbin, all you have to do is read my posts again and see that my main thrust is in talking about a general malaise in pollitics where politicians of all kinds use all kinds of methods at misleading the public.  I agreed that the tories were wrong to use misleading ads and I never questioned the BBC's information on that, merely putting my argument that they are all at it - ie misleading the public. What makes it worse is you then get this "holier than thou" attitude where people accuse their opponents of all sorts, when they would do exactly the same thing if they had the resources to do it.  

Ther sooner we get smaller parties and an end to two party politics the better we will all be.  The biggest laugh is that in the last election so many natural labour supporters voted conservative in some vain hope that they will do the business where labour wouldn't.  Duped, hook line and sinker.  The misleading tory ads and their strategy worked - that people couldn't see through it is scary - and we are stuck with them for five years. I suppose there is the hope that Boris might truly actually be some kind of true one nation prime minister, able to reunite the country and see us to the promised brexitland....it's a tall order, but you never know.

so no evidence whatsoever

just you rambling on about the evils of the 'two party system'

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bill said:

 

Perhaps you could post up some example to back your claim,

I have been thinking that about your half naked ' teenage girls ' post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I have been thinking that about your half naked ' teenage girls ' post.

I bet you have😉👍

PS my wife thinks your 👀🦆 joke was the best of all so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Social media was innundated with blatant and misleading propoganda from labour in both the last elections - so I hope you're not going to tell me labour don't do the same things as the tories.  In the previous election Corbyn only did well because he and his party mobilised social media whereas May tried to run a traditional style campaign.  Boris simply moved with the times to catch up with what everyone else was doing - swamping social media with lies, exageration and misinformation...just like labour.  The tories may have had more money to do it, but in essence they are no better or worse than labour in that respect.

 

Cummings, Elliott, Johnson, Gove etc were all participants in the B****t campaign and the illegalities therein. They didn't move with the times, they were ahead of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Well I was referring to your original post, mate, where you said:

The Tories spent something like £5m on propaganda compared to Labours £200K!      How else do you think they were able to mask all their lies!    

So it looked to me that you were making a point about how much a party has in their coffers on the basis that you have to have the money before you can spend it. Though that is a pretty novel idea for the Labour party, I'll admit. 

But why do you say it is money 'cynically spent'? I don't get that. Adverts on social media is common. In fact, that's how social media platforms are able to provide free services, through the online advertising. So any political party putting out promotional material on social media is no different from stuffing abflyer through your letter box. Nothing cynical about that. 

I agree there is an issue in harvesting account data from sources where users believed their data was confidential but that's another topic altogether. 

This seems to be a classic case of when your in a hole stop digging!   

'so it looked to me etc............. ' demonstrates you mis-read the statement.   Have you not read the stuff that's put out there especially during the election...., it's pretty cynical, predominantly lies or embelished, targetted and underhand and of course from indirect sources!     As stated in another post on here, watch (and its well worth watching) The Great Hack on Netflix... you'll see what I mean!       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

This seems to be a classic case of when your in a hole stop digging!   

'so it looked to me etc............. ' demonstrates you mis-read the statement.   Have you not read the stuff that's put out there especially during the election...., it's pretty cynical, predominantly lies or embelished, targetted and underhand and of course from indirect sources!     As stated in another post on here, watch (and its well worth watching) The Great Hack on Netflix... you'll see what I mean!       

You actually said 'cynically spent'  which is not the same as an ad being cynical. But anyway thanks for the tip about the Great Hack. I'm going to watch it right now based on your recommendation. Cheers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:
4 hours ago, Bill said:

so no evidence whatsoever

just you rambling on about the evils of the 'two party system'

 

There is evidence in the BBC report already cited

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50726500

Tories bad on paid for ads, labour supporters bad for shared misinformation.

Thanks for that, so my rambling wasn't without substance, Bill take note.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

This seems to be a classic case of when your in a hole stop digging!   

'so it looked to me etc............. ' demonstrates you mis-read the statement.   Have you not read the stuff that's put out there especially during the election...., it's pretty cynical, predominantly lies or embelished, targetted and underhand and of course from indirect sources!     As stated in another post on here, watch (and its well worth watching) The Great Hack on Netflix... you'll see what I mean!       

Watched the Great Hack and wished I hadn't. Basically the story was about a mentally unstable woman who got used by some journalists with an agenda. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Herman said:

Cummings, Elliott, Johnson, Gove etc were all participants in the B****t campaign and the illegalities therein. They didn't move with the times, they were ahead of it.

This is true. How quickly some seem to have forgotten the extent to which Robert Mercer, Steve Bannon and Cambridge Analytica were allowed to poison and pollute our politics in a way from which there seems no return. In no small way were they responsible for delivering to us the woefully inadequate Johnson and a Brexit which he didn't want when the journey began. By comparison, arrivistes Momentum are paragons of political virtue. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/07/smash-and-grab-dominic-cummings-democracy 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Pugin. They won't listen and will still come out with the "both sides are as bad as each other" BS. The facts are all there to see, all clear as day but it will mean admitting to themselves that they have been had. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

What is the betting Boris has the trots tomorrow. Belly ache Saturday. Bad back Sunday. 

If some good news needs to be announced I am sure he'll be right as rain. He is the Harry Redknapp of politics. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Watched the Great Hack and wished I hadn't. Basically the story was about a mentally unstable woman who got used by some journalists with an agenda. 

Other reviews from RTB.

The Great Escape - A story about a man who failed to jump a fence on a motorcycle.

Jungle Book - Too much Jungle not enough Book

Little Women - Some of them were quite big

Oceans Eleven - At times there were only 4 of them.

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Herman said:

 

 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Thanks Pugin. They won't listen and will still come out with the "both sides are as bad as each other" BS. The facts are all there to see, all clear as day but it will mean admitting to themselves that they have been had. 

Well for me they are both as bad as each other and I have certainly not been 'had' .  The way the tories have behaved is abominable and the alleged lies and deceit should be called out in a public enquiry. But it changes nothing - we are stuck with brexit and we are stuck with Boris - they got away with it.

Labour continually tried to swamp the country with lies and deceit too, mainly through social media which for me was reprehensible and it almost worked in the Theresa May general election - but it didn't work in the last one because Boris and his crew had a way of countering the social media campaign with their own brand of lies and deceit.   

Its much like those that are for Labour can only see good on their side and bad on the other side, but it is astonishing that the public is so easily duped on both sides. We are stuck with the tories for the foreseeable future and it is hoped they can see us through this difficult time.....the best thing Labour could do is stop blaming the tories for everything and sort themselves out, recognise their own faults and then we might get a decent opposition that in conjunction with the other lesser parties might be able to offer a decent alternative in five years time. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the evidence is available Lakey , from the newspaper reports, court records and even the twitter feeds of those responsible. If you want to indulge in whataboutery then I'm not interested. I've had 4 years of posters doing that and I really can't be arsed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Herman said:

All the evidence is available Lakey , from the newspaper reports, court records and even the twitter feeds of those responsible. If you want to indulge in whataboutery then I'm not interested. I've had 4 years of posters doing that and I really can't be arsed. 

I agree, I'm just asking that people look at both sides and see that there are faults on both sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I agree, I'm just asking that people look at both sides and see that there are faults on both sides.

Yeah, mirroring a Donald Trump quote (intentionally or not) really helps your argument. This whole thing is a stunning false equivalence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The gullibility of some posters about the gullibility of the average man is truly astonishing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:
24 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I agree, I'm just asking that people look at both sides and see that there are faults on both sides.

Yeah, mirroring a Donald Trump quote (intentionally or not) really helps your argument. This whole thing is a stunning false equivalence.

I don't know what Trump has said, I just assume everything he says is just noise and I don't listen. 

It's the holier than thou aspect of all this that gets me.  I literally had to stop using facebook during the Theresa May election so full of false rubbish coming from labour supporters being trolled on there - it beggared belief how much there was.  Then the tories fought back in the next election in their own inimitable way with their fake news adverts and blatant electioneering from day one of Boris becoming leader.  Yes, they were wrong, maybe illegal even and it needs to be faced up to by the tories, but they will get away with it and they've got what they wanted out of it anyway. 

Crying about it just makes the opposition look even smaller. Best they turn their attention to how they are going to get a decent leader or re-organise so that we get a decent alternative put forward to us at the next election, or if they are not careful we will be stuck with the tories for many years to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...