Sign in to follow this  
Dionysus

Injuries

Predictably, Worthington mentioned injuries when quizzed at the ''Meet the Board'' evening in Sheringham about our poor season. Admittedly, injuries have played their part. My question is this:

If we had a fully fit squad to date, where do you think we would be in the league and would we ultimately achieve promotion?

Personally I think we would only be a few places above where we are now and we would finish 8th or 9th. Even with a fully fit squad, the first team would have too many weaknesses to mount a serious challenge.

[quote user="Dionysus"]

Predictably, Worthington mentioned injuries when quizzed at the ''Meet the Board'' evening in Sheringham about our poor season. Admittedly, injuries have played their part. My question is this:

If we had a fully fit squad to date, where do you think we would be in the league and would we ultimately achieve promotion?

Personally I think we would only be a few places above where we are now and we would finish 8th or 9th. Even with a fully fit squad, the first team would have too many weaknesses to mount a serious challenge.

[/quote]

good point - what does it matter if Andy Hughes, MLJ and JJ are injured?? even mckenzie and marney??  its not as if them being fit at the seaosns start helped acheive better results!!

Safri is injury prone - we have to live with that.

[quote user="Dionysus"]

[/quote]

good point - what does it matter if Andy Hughes, MLJ and JJ are injured?? even mckenzie and marney??  its not as if them being fit at the seaosns start helped acheive better results!!

Hmmm - would the opportunity to see more of Hughes have put us in a better position?  Or the poor version of leon that was about at the start of the season?  

The only injuries I think we have really missed are those of  that of Robinson recently;   he does not seem to do much but our results are better with than without.

Injuries have happened and have been extensive - but have not made the difference between being mid table and play off.

i read that we have had 85 injuries this term. Seems hard to believe imo, but it got me thinking and i dont think we have ever been able to select the team with a whole fit squad. There is always at least 3 players injured

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Hmmm - would the opportunity to see more of Hughes have put us in a better position?  Or the poor version of leon that was about at the start of the season?  

The only injuries I think we have really missed are those of  that of Robinson recently;   he does not seem to do much but our results are better with than without.

Injuries have happened and have been extensive - but have not made the difference between being mid table and play off.

[/quote]

you are absolutely right about robinson, I am determined to watch his play next time he is playing because I can barely remember him being on the pitch in games but we seem to play far better with him there...

[quote user="Dionysus"]

[/quote]

I think the response would be that its hyperthetical. The main point is that injuries disrupt players, they weaken thier ability to gel as a unit, given the number of new players bought in this season the latter point is telling.

Injuries MAY account for a non-play off position Zipper as a team that is consistently changed does not usually perform as one which remains largely the same.

HOWEVER, injuries do NOT account for (as far as my memory serves me) around 8 no-shows from the team this season. The team may not play well but they should be motivated and put the effort in.

Injuries also do NOT account for a string of misses by Ashton, Huckerby, Henderson, McKenzie et al.

Fans views on Hughes are based on what they have seen when he has played and he is simply just not good enough. This is not a criticism of him as a person (he appears a very genuine man) but if City are to regain Premiership status we need players who have great stamina AND DO SOMETHING POSITIVE WITH THE BALL.

So did Worthington gamble on a small squad based on historic injury levels as opposed to possible injury levels or does he see injuries as a ready made excuse?

[quote user="A load of squit"][quote user="Dionysus"]

[/quote]

I think the response would be that its hyperthetical. The main point is that injuries disrupt players, they weaken thier ability to gel as a unit, given the number of new players bought in this season the latter point is telling.

[/quote]

injuries didnt force worthy to play a left back in midfield in our last unforgetable match

I for one am sure injuries are a factor. I would have liked to have

seen Marney given the chance to cement his position in the side, be

that on the right or in the centre. For those who complain of a lack of

service from the right (and I am one) remember Marney was leading our

assists table before his injury. Also I would have like to have seen

the most experienced right back on our books injury free - Louis-Jean.

I would have liked Robinson, who was brought in as cover for Safs

during ACN to not have been injured for the duration of Safs absence. I

would have liked to have seen Shacks fit so that Worthy could have used

his first choice centre-back pairing of Doc/Shacks. I would like

Jarrett to have not crocked himself in pre-season which led to his

rather low-key entrance into the fray, Plymouth have seen the best of

him once fully fit. Mckenzie may have been out of form at the start of

the season but once he got his head sorted, bang, injured.

In short, there''s a good chance this would have been our starting line

up, injuries permitting, from the start of the season and I''d have

liked to have seen how it developed over, say, at least 5 games:

---------------Green---------------

Louis-Jean---Doc---Shacks---Drury

Marney---Jarrett---Safri---Hucks

----------Ashton---Mckenzie-------

Zipper, you make mention of Robinson, I had thought this, but on reflection he seems, without much effort to be in the right place, in a timely fashion, and excuse the pun; to get in a timely tackle.

[quote user="Crazy Eddie"]I for one am sure injuries are a factor. I would have liked to have seen Marney given the chance to cement his position in the side, be that on the right or in the centre. For those who complain of a lack of service from the right (and I am one) remember Marney was leading our assists table before his injury. Also I would have like to have seen the most experienced right back on our books injury free - Louis-Jean. I would have liked Robinson, who was brought in as cover for Safs during ACN to not have been injured for the duration of Safs absence. I would have liked to have seen Shacks fit so that Worthy could have used his first choice centre-back pairing of Doc/Shacks. I would like Jarrett to have not crocked himself in pre-season which led to his rather low-key entrance into the fray, Plymouth have seen the best of him once fully fit. Mckenzie may have been out of form at the start of the season but once he got his head sorted, bang, injured.

In short, there''s a good chance this would have been our starting line up, injuries permitting, from the start of the season and I''d have liked to have seen how it developed over, say, at least 5 games:

---------------Green---------------

Louis-Jean---Doc---Shacks---Drury

Marney---Jarrett---Safri---Hucks

----------Ashton---Mckenzie-------

[/quote]

surely Worthys new favorite player would have been played alongside Safri??

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]

[quote user="Crazy Eddie"]I for one am

sure injuries are a factor. I would have liked to have seen Marney

given the chance to cement his position in the side, be that on the

right or in the centre. For those who complain of a lack of service

from the right (and I am one) remember Marney was leading our assists

table before his injury. Also I would have like to have seen the most

experienced right back on our books injury free - Louis-Jean. I would

have liked Robinson, who was brought in as cover for Safs during ACN to

not have been injured for the duration of Safs absence. I would have

liked to have seen Shacks fit so that Worthy could have used his first

choice centre-back pairing of Doc/Shacks. I would like Jarrett to have

not crocked himself in pre-season which led to his rather low-key

entrance into the fray, Plymouth have seen the best of him once fully

fit. Mckenzie may have been out of form at the start of the season but

once he got his head sorted, bang, injured. In short, there''s

a good chance this would have been our starting line up, injuries

permitting, from the start of the season and I''d have liked to have

seen how it developed over, say, at least 5 games:---------------Green---------------Louis-Jean---Doc---Shacks---DruryMarney---Jarrett---Safri---Hucks----------Ashton---Mckenzie-------[/quote]

surely Worthys new favorite player would have been played alongside Safri??

[/quote]

Maybe it''s a bit of wishfull thinking on my part, but Jarrett was impressuve during pre-season, you never know...

We have "by far the most thorough medicals" but out players get injured for fun [:^)]

[quote user="Paul Rankin"][quote user="Dionysus"]

[/quote]

[/quote] Cant agree with you on mackenzie he has been a massive loss his season.Hughes i also feel has not been given enough time same applies to MLJ he has had some bad luck with his injuries you cant judge him as a player untill fully fit.  

[quote user="allways travelling"][quote user="Paul Rankin"][quote user="Dionysus"]

[/quote]

[/quote] Cant agree with you on mackenzie he has been a massive loss his season.Hughes i also feel has not been given enough time same applies to MLJ he has had some bad luck with his injuries you cant judge him as a player untill fully fit.  [/quote] a fit and focussed leon would have been a huge miss, ther leon at the start of the season - not really. hughes has had 27 games - he is what he is, his ability isnt gonna get any better, just ask reading fans. MLJ has been unlucky, but he is average, and is certainly not marc edworthy calibre.

[quote user="A load of squit"]

I think the response would be that its hyperthetical.

[/quote]

Mr Perfect - shouldnt that be hypothetical?  [:D]