Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Fred

The English Game

With many of you with spare time I recommend you watch the English game on Netflix about the early days of football

a cracking watch 

Very good, especially if you have a person in the house who doesn't like football but  likes a period drama. 

The programme shows how football tactics evolved and in particular how the Scots changed the way the game was played. It isn't mentioned in the programme but when Scotland beat England, the Times newspaper said that the Scots had cheated by persistently passing the ball. 

Enjoying it. I’d always associated rugby in England as a game for the toffs and footy as a game for the working man, not always been like that though! Clearly Pulis learned his art at Eton!

Edited by Van wink

Yes as conceived it certainly looked like Rugby but without getting your hands dirty. .. or to be more accurate Rugby evolved from that pre-FA rules football to formalize handling the ball...

9 hours ago, Van wink said:

Enjoying it. I’d always associated rugby in England as a game for the toffs and footy as a game for the working man, not always been like that though! Clearly Pulis learned his art at Eton!

In England (different I think in Wales and Scotland) Rugby Union was the game of the middle classes with footie for those in the John Cleese and Ronnie Corbett hierarchical positions...

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

In England (different I think in Wales and Scotland) Rugby Union was the game of the middle classes with footie for those in the John Cleese and Ronnie Corbett hierarchical positions...

So it appears, rugby for the Ronnie Barkers if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

Historically speaking it is largely piffle.

Enjoyable in a Downton Abbey sort of way though.

It was good... but also outlines how amusing it is how the likes of Villa boast about how many times theyve won the FA Cup and other trophies when many of them included a period in history where games were played on a lawn with a piece of rope acting as the crossbar.

On 28/03/2020 at 08:13, Van wink said:

You really need to pay more attention to my posts. I wrote as recently as March 2011:

There have been two game-changing shifts in English football since world war two. Any assessment of Norwich must take them into account; they were crucial to how we performed. But first, the time before those shifts. English football in the 1950s was rather like the country. We still had clearly-defined classes, and it was the game of the working classes – and (often forgotten) the upper classes. Watched by the working classes but in part run or owned (as with Arsenal) by the upper classes.

42 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

You really need to pay more attention to my posts. I wrote as recently as March 2011:

There have been two game-changing shifts in English football since world war two. Any assessment of Norwich must take them into account; they were crucial to how we performed. But first, the time before those shifts. English football in the 1950s was rather like the country. We still had clearly-defined classes, and it was the game of the working classes – and (often forgotten) the upper classes. Watched by the working classes but in part run or owned (as with Arsenal) by the upper classes.

I trust that you are turning a different shade of ....well....purple!