Sign in to follow this  
Mason 47

Health + Fitness

6lbs, 3 weeks? I'd like those odds. Good luck!

For me it's very  much been a case of knowledge is power. I trained for and completed 2 5km obstacle races and a 10 mile Tough Mudder last year and never really got under 17.5st; never thought I would get to where I am now from just walking and diet work !

I too will look at gyms when this is all over, but I can't help feeling gyms as we know them will change following corona. Bottlenecks of people sweating, coughing and breathing with recirculated air? The mind boggles

Yeah I suspect gyms will change for sure. The one by me is 24 hour and I’m a night owl so I’m relatively comfortable with being able to use it at pretty quiet times, but recirculated air etc is not ideal.

Definitely agree with knowledge being power. I’ve had various spells where I’ve tried different diets or exercise but never really worked out how to make them work and then given up because they weren’t working. Feel so much better just following my own path, making sensible food choices but not following any specific diet regime, and making sure i do a decent amount of exercise. First time ever I’ve felt like I have a long term path which is sustainable and I can follow without giving up.

Edited by kick it off

All seems so simple once you work it out eh?

Originally I was building towards the Spartan race at Twickenham in December but I have a feeling we either won't be over the current chaos or be stuck in the inevitable reinfection chaos by then. 

On 16/04/2020 at 12:51, kick it off said:

I'm not weighing until Saturday, but I'm quietly confident that I'll have dropped another couple of lbs as I've had a pretty good week.

I was 14'6 last Friday and I want to get under 14 before my birthday (5th May).

14'2 (and a half) - 3.5 lbs lost this week - Knew I'd had a good week!!

Edited by kick it off

Thanks for the invite in guys.

For the last 2 months I have completely changed my diet being a type 2 diabetic. I now have breakfast lunch and tea at 10 ( can’t get out of bed early anymore ) 1and 6. My main meal consists of the likes of white meats or fish vegetables or salad. Brown bread only ( maximum 1 slice per day ) maximum 1 potatoe each day. We have come up with some amazing meals that I would not have gone near 2 months ago, yet taste amazing. I loved my cottage pie but our new recipe now has turkey as the meat, plenty of vegetables in it then the topping mashed cauliflower instead of potato. 
At Christmas we were bought a soup maker, we laughed when would we use that ? Now it is the best present ever. Lunch is now homemade soup. Amazing you can throw anything you want in ( ours is always a mix of veggies ) and they can be smooth or chunky. I used to think canned soup was healthy now I laugh at that thought. Can’t resist a couple of coffees still but it’s now decaf only. Thinking of trying green tea ?. Snacks are easy as are desserts. Fruit and the occasional treat of sugar free jelly. My wife has by trial and error managed to make crisps from beetroot, carrot, turnip and onions, no frying, no salt just baked. Have to say though that is trial and error as attempts over the first week resulted in a soggy mess. They are now crispy yum yum.

Seems you have to combine this with exercise and as I am petrified of going outside and the most I had jogged for the last 20 years was to my car if I was late for work, we invested in ( appreciate they are now like gold dust ) in a second hand WII with WIi fit. Was a struggle at first but now I can jog for 1/2 hour as well many other exercises that are fun as they are a game.

In the first 2 months the weight peeled off rapidly, now it is slower but still on a downward trend.

Hope that helps at least somebody on here. I will report in each Saturday with my current stats.

Must go now as I have just been served up my Leek soup, with added herbs to spice it up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Well b back said:

All good stuff WBB and congrats on the journey so far! - I'm not being as strict as you on the diet, I'm just being more sensible with what I eat. Trying to add a couple of fasts or no carbs days in too during the week, but generally I've just reduced portion sizes and I'm better at avoiding carbs and making better food choices. 

Cant do soup as a meal - it's liquid therefore not a food. I can never get past that mental block on it!!

Snack wise - I have found a couple that work for me - Lidl do jars of sliced pickled gherkins which are quite sweet, and really tasty. They also do sweet chili and lemon "Pea snacks" which are similar to those chipstix crisps in texture - they are baked, not friend and really tasty - 88 calories per bag. Low fat, low salt and 4.0g of protein in a 21g bag.

Don't really drink tea or coffee much but I do drink WAAAY too much Pepsi MAx, so I've knocked that on the head now largely. Still have it in the house and still have it sometimes on an evening, but just drinking water throughout the day and most of eve.

Desserts I stick with fruit or one of those "corner yoghurts" - keeps it simple.

I'm currently on a cycle of 3 days on, 1 day off on the treadmill although this week I've missed a couple of days due to other things going on (missus had a dental emergency and a few other bits). I time myself over 3.5km and my time on that has come down from 33mins when I started to under 23mins now (I am aware thats not particularly fast but I'm incredibly slow at running naturally so I'm only bothered about beating myself - won't be entering any races!!). After I finish the 3.5 I carry on for as far as I can be bothered with. Sometimes just up to 4k, sometimes 6 or 7k. I aim for 5k but I'm not religious about it.

Lost 21 pounds so far (as of Saturday) so still got another stone/stone and a half to go, but it's made a massive difference. Lost motivation to go on the treadmill at the moment - I was enjoying it for a bit but now it feels incredibly tedious, just got to keep grinding though!

Edited by kick it off

Bit late to this, but very interesting. I have been on the 5:2 for 5 years and my weight is pretty stable. I do not do it when I go on holiday, and having spent 6 weeks in South Africa and returning in March, I have strictly enforced it since the lockdown, and with using my turbo trainer for every day bar 2, I have shed 8 pounds. On my 2 fasting days, I drink green tea all day and have dinner at 7pm. I have a number of adapted recipes which are are both tasty and filling. I can supply if anyone is interested.  

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

For the last 2 months I have completely changed my diet being a type 2 diabetic. I now have breakfast lunch and tea at 10 ( can’t get out of bed early anymore ) 1and 6. My main meal consists of the likes of white meats or fish vegetables or salad. Brown bread only ( maximum 1 slice per day ) maximum 1 potatoe each day. We have come up with some amazing meals that I would not have gone near 2 months ago, yet taste amazing. I loved my cottage pie but our new recipe now has turkey as the meat, plenty of vegetables in it then the topping mashed cauliflower instead of potato. 
At Christmas we were bought a soup maker, we laughed when would we use that ? Now it is the best present ever. Lunch is now homemade soup. Amazing you can throw anything you want in ( ours is always a mix of veggies ) and they can be smooth or chunky. I used to think canned soup was healthy now I laugh at that thought. Can’t resist a couple of coffees still but it’s now decaf only. Thinking of trying green tea ?. 

Turkey mince isn't as bad as a lot think it is- and in terms of fat content it's leagues better than beef, which is great. In my turkey cottage pie I'll often mix the topping with a ball of low-fat mozzarella, which is a surprising powerhouse of protein. I'd recommend trying it if it works with your diabetes.

Edited by Mason 47
  • Thanks 1

Suppose I should also update my progress- April has been tricky so far, adding in 5 days of strength training has really been a spanner in the works as my weight just doesn't want to start dropping through the next stone. 

Plan is to start running once I'm under 15 and a half, but road running had a tendency to wreck my knees back in January so I'm reluctant.

4 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Plan is to start running once I'm under 15 and a half, but road running had a tendency to wreck my knees back in January so I'm reluctant.

Have you got any sports knee braces? My knees were shot for a few years, but seem to have miraculously sorted themselves out. I tore my meniscus playing footy when I was 20 - someone slid straight through my standing leg - For years after that I had pain in both knees after sport (presumably the other one from over compensation when I was hobbling due to the injury. That pain stopped after about 3 years, but then a couple of years later - my knee that was injured gave way underneath me as I was getting up from diving (in goal, not Cristiano Ronaldo style) and was a bit ****ty for a few weeks - similar thing happened about a year later. Both times the ligament got caught underneath the knee cap according to the doc - it didn't do any damage but just pinged it so it was inflamed and painful. 

Touch wood, I haven't had any issues with them for 5 or so years now (I'm 33 in a few weeks) but even now, just occasionally there is a moment where it doesn't feel right.... Sports braces have been great in that regard - if I have a moment where I don't really trust it for whatever reason, or it feels a bit dodgy and I think I might tweak it - I just whack the sports brace on for a bit and it sorts it out. I keep one in my football bag at all times, just in case.

13 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Suppose I should also update my progress- April has been tricky so far, adding in 5 days of strength training has really been a spanner in the works as my weight just doesn't want to start dropping through the next stone. 

Keep going mate!! If you're weight training then it's defo going to be harder to lose weight as you're adding muscle mass. Are you weighing yourself consistently at the same time of day? I'm pretty methodical about that to make sure I get a relatively comparable reading - Saturday mornings before I eat or drink anything. If I miss Saturday weigh in then tough ****, I wait until the next Saturday.

1 hour ago, dj11 said:

Bit late to this, but very interesting. I have been on the 5:2 for 5 years and my weight is pretty stable. I do not do it when I go on holiday, and having spent 6 weeks in South Africa and returning in March, I have strictly enforced it since the lockdown, and with using my turbo trainer for every day bar 2, I have shed 8 pounds. On my 2 fasting days, I drink green tea all day and have dinner at 7pm. I have a number of adapted recipes which are are both tasty and filling. I can supply if anyone is interested.  

Good effort on the 5:2 - Once I've lost the weight, I'm going to need to find some kind of stable routine to keep it off. Not sure what I will go with to be honest - will probably end up doing my own thing as that is the only thing that has worked losing the weight - tried slimming world etc but just couldn't get the weight to shift. Hopefully I won't find it too difficult to keep it off as my mentality towards food has changed massively so fingers crossed it won't be too much of a battle.

How was SA? It's on my list of places to visit but the missus is determined that South America should be next. We have a little one, so it's tricky at the moment, but I really want to explore more of Africa.

Would definitely be interested in adapted recipes - please feel free to share. 

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

Have you got any sports knee braces? My knees were shot for a few years, but seem to have miraculously sorted themselves out. I tore my meniscus playing footy when I was 20 - someone slid straight through my standing leg - For years after that I had pain in both knees after sport (presumably the other one from over compensation when I was hobbling due to the injury. That pain stopped after about 3 years, but then a couple of years later - my knee that was injured gave way underneath me as I was getting up from diving (in goal, not Cristiano Ronaldo style) and was a bit ****ty for a few weeks - similar thing happened about a year later. Both times the ligament got caught underneath the knee cap according to the doc - it didn't do any damage but just pinged it so it was inflamed and painful. 

Touch wood, I haven't had any issues with them for 5 or so years now (I'm 33 in a few weeks) but even now, just occasionally there is a moment where it doesn't feel right.... Sports braces have been great in that regard - if I have a moment where I don't really trust it for whatever reason, or it feels a bit dodgy and I think I might tweak it - I just whack the sports brace on for a bit and it sorts it out. I keep one in my football bag at all times, just in case.

I tore my left side ACL when I was 13 and my blood-and-thunder manager at the time insisted I needed to 'get on with it' so I spent a year unable to do any sport of any kind (Then another 3 months when I tore a quad first training session back!). It's never gone again and I'm incredibly lucky in that regard but it's a slightly different variation of ACL injury than normal, that knee will never be pain free during exertion unfortunately 🙄

I've been putting the particular aggravation from road running down to the hard surface and the fact I was near to 18 stone back in January- the science varies, but they say when you run you put between 2-4 times the amount of force on your knees as your bodyweight in lbs, so I think I'm doing the right thing by focusing on losing weight overall and seeing if I stoke up enough confidence to give it another go.

10 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Keep going mate!! If you're weight training then it's defo going to be harder to lose weight as you're adding muscle mass. Are you weighing yourself consistently at the same time of day? I'm pretty methodical about that to make sure I get a relatively comparable reading - Saturday mornings before I eat or drink anything. If I miss Saturday weigh in then tough ****, I wait until the next Saturday.

I weigh every morning as soon as I get up, but just out of curiosity. None of that matters until the Monday morning weigh-in which is what I record- in kg, the last 4 weeks have come in at 102, 103, 102, 102 which isn't the end of the world (but it is frustrating). As you say, adding in weight training means over time muscle weight is added (and a significant amount of water weight in hand) and I'm also on a creatine cycle which will contribute as well. I just get annoyed when the numbers on my spreadsheet don't go down!

With what you say dj11, I think the trick is that a lot of people who follow a diet and lose weight are at great risk of putting it back in after it finishes because they no longer have something or someone to tell them to do it. From the sound of things, it's the other side of the coin when the penny has dropped for you and your behaviours have been altered at their base, so it'll be easier for you to find a medium between focused diet and living like a normal person.

I don't think of it as a diet, it's just a way of life. For KIO, here is my fish stew recipe. Obviously no potatoes if a diet day. 

Ingredients

One onion finely chopped

Two garlic cloves finely chopped

Two Peppers – preferably not green

One tin of tomatoes

350 ml Fish stock – cubes, stock pot or fresh

Oregano or similar herbs

Worcester Sauce

Paprika- sweet, not hot

Fresh or dried chilli – don’t overdo it

Prepared squid cut into strips

Mussels

Prawns

Fish – firm – e.g. Hake, Yellow Tail, salmon, Cod, Haddock

Cannellini or other beans or baby potatoes

Method

Fry the onion, garlic, chilli, and peppers in any oil.

Add oregano and paprika

When nicely coated add a splash of wine to de glaze – not paramount

Add tomatoes and stir through

Add the stock, and Worcester sauce

Bring to the boil and add the squid.

Add pepper but no salt – it toughens the squid.

Lid on and simmer for at least an hour. Stir occasionally to make sure nothing sticks to the pan

Add the beans or the potatoes and cook for 30 minutes

Add fish and cook for 5 minutes

Add prawns and cook for 5 minutes

Add fresh mussels and cook until open – if using mussel meat, put it in with the fish

Taste and add salt and more pepper if needed

Don't want to be a bore, but will post others if you require.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Good effort on the 5:2 - Once I've lost the weight, I'm going to need to find some kind of stable routine to keep it off. Not sure what I will go with to be honest - will probably end up doing my own thing as that is the only thing that has worked losing the weight - tried slimming world etc but just couldn't get the weight to shift. Hopefully I won't find it too difficult to keep it off as my mentality towards food has changed massively so fingers crossed it won't be too much of a battle.

How was SA? It's on my list of places to visit but the missus is determined that South America should be next. We have a little one, so it's tricky at the moment, but I really want to explore more of Africa.

Would definitely be interested in adapted recipes - please feel free to share. 

South Africa is great, I spend at least 5 weeks every year just outside Cape Town. I also took in the cricket this year. Did 6 months backpacking through South America in 2007. Some wonderful Countries, and more exciting than South Africa. If you need any info, just ask.

2 minutes ago, dj11 said:

Don't want to be a bore

Don't be daft, the whole point of the thread is to give us something else to post about that isn't Brexit, Coronavirus or the morals of footballers 😅

I'm trying out a homemade turkey burger and 'cloud bread' later on, if it's not disgusting I too will pop a recipe up!

not sure it’s any healthier but recently come across Turkey bacon - absolute revelation. We now only eat fish and poultry (and I love bacon and sausages). Turkey bacon slightly drier perhaps but tastes virtually the same.

1 hour ago, Mason 47 said:

Strength training still worthwhile - if you haven’t done it for a while / ever before then you can still add some muscle even on a calorie deficit (although normally you’d need to be eating more to put on muscle). But weight isn’t always the best way of tracking progress on its own - you could add weight without adding fat if you’re building muscle. 

I read a lot about people reckoning they can add muscle whilst losing fat, but I’ve never found it to be the case for me. I have to cycle it on the ‘shred’ and ‘bulk’ type cycle, although I never go to an extreme as I don’t think that will be healthy either. I usually just focus on losing weight until I get to where I want to be (or a couple of pounds under) and then increase the protein / calorie intake to try and add some muscle mass. Usually end up around the same weight one way or another .

On 08/04/2020 at 13:38, Hillhead said:

Cycling is a great alternative especially if you struggle with your knees.

Doesn't have to be full on lycra clad with an aero road bike either, Until this all happened I was close to buying a gravel bike (essentially a road bike with slightly wider tyres) for days out with my partner/friends etc with off roading as an option. 

I first went to a yoga class during University (to improve flexibility for the bike) and it was not at all as I'd suspected, perhaps every class is going to different depending on the instructor but I found it great for improving flexibility and strengthening the core, both of which I badly needed - I wouldn't class it as much use for burning calories but certainly better than doing nothing 🙂

I initially got into cycling when I discovered the app "Zwift" on my phone, essentially a game where you cycle with others online. If this lockdown ends up banning outdoor exercise I may have to revisit it.

Gravel bike is a great choice for regular road, cycle  paths and trails. At least it seems that way tonight as they pasted me on a gravel trail. I’ve ended up with a road, a cross and mountain bike but starting again I’d just get a gravel bike unless you want to do Road cycling club cycling or technical trails. 

Today has been a good day - beat my personal best over 3.5km by over a minute, and tried on my NCFC home shirt from last season that I've never worn as I bought a size too small, and now it fits!! 

• Like 1

Yoga has been mentioned a few times on this thread and I would definitely recommend it as part of a daily routine. I had been doing it off and on on an ad hoc basis for quite a few years and every day for about six years - chiefly going daily to try and sort out a neck issue that no-one could seem to help me with. Once I started doing it every day, not only did it sort my neck issue, but I found a whole load of other benefits - feeling more balanced, more muscle tone, better flexibility and better posture. 

Not saying yoga is for everyone, but it has helped me in so many unexpected ways and I highly recommend it.  The breathing aspect of yoga is very important, which some people neglect because without doing the breathing side of yoga alongside the assanas,  yoga is just another form of stretching.  What also helped me was running three times a week which I started doing last year (couch to 5K) so getting some general fitness as well. 

I guess I'm doing the whole hog, because I also do meditation and a few months ago went on to a whole food plant based diet and do the 16/8 fasting routine.  Do I feel great for all that? Not always, but even on off days, I feel I have things I can do that will get me back on track.  So yoga is great as part of the overall picture - but an essential part of that picture. Doing yoga for a while will make all the other sports/running/cycling etc you want to do easier, as it strengthens, makes you more flexible and has a calming effect.

I've also tried Qi gong which is a bit like Tai chi and the Wim Hof method is amazing if you can stick to it!  All well worth investigating!

47 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Doing yoga for a while will make all the other sports/running/cycling etc you want to do easier, as it strengthens, makes you more flexible and has a calming effect.

Out of reactions but thanks LDC - I'm going to give it a go tomorrow - been contemplating for a while and never seem to get round to it, but I'll give it a go

13 hours ago, kick it off said:

Today has been a good day - beat my personal best over 3.5km by over a minute, and tried on my NCFC home shirt from last season that I've never worn as I bought a size too small, and now it fits!! 

I have a 'player fit' purple third shirt I have similar ambitions for... but I'm getting to the point I think I might just be too broad. Good ncfc-related angle though! 

Another of our fasting day dinners, and gives a big plate full for each person.

SWEET AND SOUR PRAWNS FOR 2

Ingredients                                                                                                                                 Calories

200 gms uncooked shelled prawns. (cooked can also be used)                                  200

1 Green Pepper cut into chunks                                                                                          40

1 Medium Onion cut into chunks                                                                                        44

1 Medium Carrot thin sliced on an angle                                                                          30

300 gms Bean Sprouts, fresh or tinned                                                                              130

2 Medium Tomatoes cut in quarters                                                                                  48          

8 smallish pieces of Pineapple, fresh or tinned                                                               70

Half Tea Spoon granulated sugar                                                                                        10

Decent splodge of tomato sauce                                                                                         30

Decent splodge oyster sauce                                                                                                20

1 Teaspoon of vegetable stock dissolved in 75 ml hot water                                      10

1 Tablespoon of cornflower dissolved in cold water                                                      31

1 Tablespoon of Rapeseed oil (vegetable oil is generally rapeseed)                         124

1 Sliced Garlic Clove

Cooking Instructions      

Heat the oil in a Wok or large frying pan.

When hot add onion followed by green pepper and garlic

Add carrot, pineapple, prawns

Add ketchup and oyster sauce and stir through.

Add stock and stir through.

Slowly add cornflour and water until the thickness you would like.

Add sugar and salt and pepper

Add bean sprouts and stir through

Place tomatoes on top and cover with a lid.

Turn the heat down and simmer for 5 minutes

Variations

In place of bean sprouts, cook cauliflower rice (66 calories) in the microwave and have sweet and sour with cauliflower rice.

Frozen peas can also be added for another 70 calories

Chicken breast can be used instead of prawns but 2 chicken breasts would increase the calories by 370.

Low calorie oil spray can be used, but is difficult to manage when flash frying.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dj11 said:

5 years is very, very impressive! That requires an iron will. I did 5:2 successfully for 5 months (lost 8kg). Then a spell of 6:1. How do you manage to do it? I'm guessing that maybe after a certain period of time it's just part of what you do.

And do you get medical checks regularly each year? I'm guessing your numbers will be excellent (glucose, BMI, BP etc). 

I'm interested as I'm consider doing again and to hard wire it this time.

I started the 5:2 shortly after watching it on TV, so I have probably been on it for 7 years. Prior to this I would be doing mad diets every 6 months or so to get my weight back down, and feeling quite stressed about it. It took a while to get into the rhythm of it. At first I tried to do 600 calories spreading it over the day. I found that once I had my first snack, I constantly thought about the next one, and I was very hungry. I had never liked green tea, but there are health benefits to drinking it, and I decided to drink green tea all day and have all my calories at 7pm. This really works for me, although my girlfriend found it hard to adjust, but she is now fine with it. I only drink green tea on fasting days, so I think my body knows that when the green tea starts, there is no tucker until 7pm. All my 500/600 calorie recipe's are a very satisfying large plates of food, so I don't go to bed hungry.  I decide a week in advance which 2 fasting days we will do, and I generally know what I will cook. I normally do a Monday and Wednesday, but depends on social events. For the 5 days, I eat and drink as normal. I do like a drink, so aim for 4 off drink and 3 on. This obviously varies, but I don't stress over it. I weigh myself every morning, and if I think my 5 days are making it difficult to maintain my weight, I slip in an extra fasting day, just to get me back on track. It may seem bizarre, but I quite often look forward to fasting days. When on holiday, I don't even think about fasting, although I do try and have a couple of beer free days, but if I don't, that's still ok, because I know when I get home, the 5;2 will address any weight gain. What I really like, is that I don't think I am on a diet, and I am completely stress free, because I am in total control of my weight. I use my turbo trainer most days, so I am fairly fit. My family medical history does me no favours, but I am sure that the 5;2 helps keep the grim reaper from the door. 

• Thanks 1

That sounds workable. Yet amazing to go almost 24 hours on virtually nothing before your meal. Except sleep of course and tea (assume no milk).

Green tea all day would make me feel ill (I believe it's good for you but it's the one thing that makes me feel 'wired', edgy or nauseous. Not sure why).

Edited by sonyc

I think any tea or even coffee without milk would do, it staves off the hunger. I’m not keen on water, that’s why I drink the tea. 

Finally hit 100kg as of this morning- another 6lbs until I can start running (Maybe I'll call it a day at -5lbs 🙃).

I'm also going to be trying out a serving of apple cider vinegar every morning and night for as long as the bottle lasts, out of curiosity and because it's cheap.

52 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Finally hit 100kg as of this morning- another 6lbs until I can start running (Maybe I'll call it a day at -5lbs 🙃).

I'm also going to be trying out a serving of apple cider vinegar every morning and night for as long as the bottle lasts, out of curiosity and because it's cheap.

Congrats mate - I only lost 1lb last week but I had a tricky week with stuff going on - somehow beat my time over 3.5k again yesterday - I can now do 5k quicker than I could do 3.5k when I started (and still have minutes to spare!!).

I'm also experimenting this week with fasted cardio (eg doing cardio before you eat anything) - There's a study saying it burns up to 20% more fat than if you eat breakfast first and I read an article from someone who had gone from 6 days of regular cardio per week to 4 days of fasted cardio per week and not changed diet or other exercise routines and they lost 2kg and 2% body fat over 2 weeks. The other week when I lost 3.5lbs, I had done quite a bit of fasted cardio through default, rather than by design so I'm going to give it a conscious effort this week and see what happens. Need to lose 2 lbs this week to meet my goal of being under 14st by my birthday (well it's next Tuesday so I have actually got a few bonus days and can do an additional birthday weigh in if needed).

As it stands though, I'm the lightest I've been for maybe 8 years. Still work to do though!