Sign in to follow this  
Mason 47

Health + Fitness

In my younger years I used to be a good runner, 65min Half marathon and 2:20:16 Marathon. I gave up competitive running due to compartment syndrome in my calf's. As I've always run, I turned to slow jogging and have done that for about 20 years, just to keep fit. but last year my daughter wanted to do the Swindon Half Marathon, So I trained and ran the race with her (just under 3 hours ! )Sometime  later I looked on my athletics portal and found my rating had dropped, due to counting  that half marathon !  I then decided to improve it, after the first six months I had to take breaks, due to injury in my calves. Looked on line and found I could run a certain way with compartment syndrome. I'm now improving and was first in my age group in the 3 races I raced before the lock down, really want to get racing again. Sorry for the long piece.

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

In my younger years I used to be a good runner, 65min Half marathon and 2:20:16 Marathon. I gave up competitive running due to compartment syndrome in my calf's. As I've always run, I turned to slow jogging and have done that for about 20 years, just to keep fit. but last year my daughter wanted to do the Swindon Half Marathon, So I trained and ran the race with her (just under 3 hours ! )Sometime  later I looked on my athletics portal and found my rating had dropped, due to counting  that half marathon !  I then decided to improve it, after the first six months I had to take breaks, due to injury in my calves. Looked on line and found I could run a certain way with compartment syndrome. I'm now improving and was first in my age group in the 3 races I raced before the lock down, really want to get racing again. Sorry for the long piece.

I can't imagine running for 26 miles- think it takes a much higher attention span than mine!

I am hoping that covid-19 has receded a bit by December as I'm still hopeful of doing the Spartan race at Twickenham in December

2 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

I can't imagine running for 26 miles- think it takes a much higher attention span than mine!

I am hoping that covid-19 has receded a bit by December as I'm still hopeful of doing the Spartan race at Twickenham in December

Same - fair play though Swindo - I wish I had that level of commitment - I've never been fast over any distance so I have zero motivation to race against others - happy just racing myself on the treadmill - but full respect for anyone who does have that level of tenacity, particularly for long distance/endurance type races. I don't enjoy running very much - it's more a means to an end for me but I will keep doing it once the weight has gone, to make sure it doesn't creep back on. 

Having a good week so far - Got about 6k done yesterday and 5k fasted today (missed my 3.5k time by 30 seconds but beat my 5k time). Have fasted all day so looking forward to dinner big time!!

4 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

I have problems with my calves - especially since I broke my leg a few years ago. Always very tight and often very sore. Not sure if that’s caused by running technique or just where I store my stress! How do you run differently to deal with it?

7 hours ago, Aggy said:

I have problems with my calves - especially since I broke my leg a few years ago. Always very tight and often very sore. Not sure if that’s caused by running technique or just where I store my stress! How do you run differently to deal with it?

I've cut back on my push off, it slows a little but I've overcome it by upping my cadence.

In reply to kick it off 

I've always run and enjoyed it, so I've always been a 'slim Jim'. No problems with weight.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2020 at 15:53, kick it off said:

Having a good week so far

Weighed in a day early as I felt good about my week and have made it to my birthday mini-goal! Still work to do but definitely trending in the right direction.

Going to stick to the diet/exercise today and tomorrow but I'm officially having a few days off from Sunday until Wednesday as it's my birthday on Tuesday, then it's back on it for another sustained run at getting the last bit of weight off.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Weighed in a day early as I felt good about my week and have made it to my birthday mini-goal! Still work to do but definitely trending in the right direction.

Going to stick to the diet/exercise today and tomorrow but I'm officially having a few days off from Sunday until Wednesday as it's my birthday on Tuesday, then it's back on it for another sustained run at getting the last bit of weight off.

Well done, most of us eat and drink to comfort ourselves so you, and some of the others have really bucked the trend.

Good time to be doing it though, now more than ever we need to be healthy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Well done KIO and happy birthday for Tuesday 🎂

• Like 1

Thought I'd resurrect the thread after finishing my first multi-terrain 5k. Haven't lost a lot more weight, think I might be nearing my weight set point.

Anyone fallen off the fit-for-quarantine wagon?

Thought I'd resurrect the thread after finishing my first multi-terrain 5k. Haven't lost a lot more weight, think I might be nearing my weight set point.

Hammering out an hours worth on the Turbo Trainer at a steady pace each day. I was thinking of using an app although I do have a distance chip for the bike. But I have been reluctant as I think any exercise is good and I don't necessarily want to get back to the days when I had to go out and do at least 10K running every evening. I am cycling on a trainer for fitness and strength, not to enter the Tour de France.
One side of lockdown. The equivalent trainer was £55-£60 before lockdown. I paid £112 during. We are supposed to be looking after our health and we are conned. The same as why Sun Block is so expensive.

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

You should get out on the road Keelan, it’s more fun

I have done plenty on the road Double F but I want to strengthen my legs again before I set forth. I trained hard for the Football to Amsterdam ride and want to get back to that standard. There are so many narrow undulating roads around Redruth that it isn't always pleasurable. And don't get me started on the potholes 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Hammering out an hours worth on the Turbo Trainer at a steady pace each day. I was thinking of using an app although I do have a distance chip for the bike. But I have been reluctant as I think any exercise is good and I don't necessarily want to get back to the days when I had to go out and do at least 10K running every evening. I am cycling on a trainer for fitness and strength, not to enter the Tour de France.
One side of lockdown. The equivalent trainer was £55-£60 before lockdown. I paid £112 during. We are supposed to be looking after our health and we are conned. The same as why Sun Block is so expensive.

Just today started on an outdoor bike and really enjoyed it- whether or not I still enjoyed doing both exercises tomorrow morning remains to be seen!

What you say feeds into what I think about finding a job after this is all over- I think home-gym people are going to do very well for themselves for a while.

11 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Definitely lapsed since the last post. I haven't put it back on, which is good (maybe a lb) but need to get back onto it - just haven't got any motivation atm.

8 hours ago, kick it off said:

Definitely lapsed since the last post. I haven't put it back on, which is good (maybe a lb) but need to get back onto it - just haven't got any motivation atm.

Maybe try something new? First two weeks of this month I was all over the place because going back to the bench every day was becoming so meaningless. Since re-focusing my perspective to include running + cycling for distance I've rediscovered that drive and I'm back on it.

3 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Maybe try something new? First two weeks of this month I was all over the place because going back to the bench every day was becoming so meaningless. Since re-focusing my perspective to include running + cycling for distance I've rediscovered that drive and I'm back on it.

Yeah I definitely need to mix it up a bit and do something different - just need to gather up a bit of drive and do another decent 6 week stretch and then I should have dropped most of the weight hopefully.

Out of nowhere I've developed recurring calf injuries (one side at a time) stopping me from completing my now routine 5ks the last couple of times. Feels like a stress tear at the time, clears up after a few days and then happens again a few days later on the other leg. Any runners have any tips for what might be causing this? Calf muscles are the only muscle I think I've never had a problem with previously!

Under 15 stone for the first time in at least a decade as of this morning. 6lbs to go.

9 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Out of nowhere I've developed recurring calf injuries (one side at a time) stopping me from completing my now routine 5ks the last couple of times. Feels like a stress tear at the time, clears up after a few days and then happens again a few days later on the other leg. Any runners have any tips for what might be causing this? Calf muscles are the only muscle I think I've never had a problem with previously!

Under 15 stone for the first time in at least a decade as of this morning. 6lbs to go.

No idea on what's causing it buddy, but just wanted to say congrats - that's a huge milestone and the goal is definitely in sight for you!

I've finally found my motivation again and am back on the wagon this week. Aiming for under 13 stone in next 6 weeks. Currently maintained 14 st without really doing much and not being particularly great about my eating so hopeful that once I get going on this drive, I can drop a bit quite quickly.

How you getting on @Mason 47 ?

I couldn't get motivated to get back on it but then they said we can play footy again and I got the impetus. Not as fit as I was at the start of May but getting back to it and have still managed to lose about another 8lbs since then just through diet despite not hitting the exercise properly for 10 weeks. Lightest I've been in about 8 years currently. Another 4lbs or so and it'll be the lightest I've been in a decade.

Played footy last Monday, scored by outpacing someone (genuinely dont remember the last time I was able to do that as I'm not very fast even when in top condition!!). Kept forgetting im not fat anymore though so balls I could now get to that i previously wouldnt have been able to, I kept leaving aand giving up as a lost cause... then realising when they were 5 yards further on that i can run now and having to catch them up 🙈

Need to start hitting the gym and adding some muscle mass which will stop any progress on the scales but its at the point now where I'm pretty much the right size for my frame.

For the first time in years, im not embarrassed about my body and don't feel fat!!! So happy I made this decision and put the work in.

Edited by kick it off

37 minutes ago, kick it off said:

How you getting on @Mason 47 ?

I couldn't get motivated to get back on it but then they said we can play footy again and I got the impetus. Not as fit as I was at the start of May but getting back to it and have still managed to lose about another 8lbs since then just through diet despite not hitting the exercise properly for 10 weeks. Lightest I've been in about 8 years currently. Another 4lbs or so and it'll be the lightest I've been in a decade.

Played footy last Monday, scored by outpacing someone (genuinely dont remember the last time I was able to do that as I'm not very fast even when in top condition!!). Kept forgetting im not fat anymore though so balls I could now get to that i previously wouldnt have been able to, I kept leaving aand giving up as a lost cause... then realising when they were 5 yards further on that i can run now and having to catch them up 🙈

Need to start hitting the gym and adding some muscle mass which will stop any progress on the scales but its at the point now where I'm pretty much the right size for my frame.

For the first time in years, im not embarrassed about my body and don't feel fat!!! So happy I made this decision and put the work in.

Really glad to hear you've set-in your progress mate. They say it's 30% exercise, 70% diet but you can't start without 100% mentality in the first place.

I've continued to stall around the 14.5 mark but if I'm honest my commitment hasn't been anywhere near as strong the past month as I was let go and lost furlough. Priorities had to change a bit!

Now that's sorted out, and I started & scored in a friendly yesterday (feeling it today though). Plan to knuckle down and get that 14st now before joining and gym and finally doing some building work instead of demo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Really glad to hear you've set-in your progress mate. They say it's 30% exercise, 70% diet but you can't start without 100% mentality in the first place.

I've continued to stall around the 14.5 mark but if I'm honest my commitment hasn't been anywhere near as strong the past month as I was let go and lost furlough. Priorities had to change a bit!

Now that's sorted out, and I started & scored in a friendly yesterday (feeling it today though). Plan to knuckle down and get that 14st now before joining and gym and finally doing some building work instead of demo.

Brilliant to hear that you're still going strong 👏 👏  Unfortunate about the job but glad you have it under control.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Brilliant to hear that you're still going strong 👏👏  Unfortunate about the job but glad you have it under control.

Yeah, got the notice of termination and got dumped on the same day- felt I deserved a pizza and a beer 🤣 Just another nasty side-effect of this pandemic and I consider myself very lucky to have found something suitable so quickly, as there are a great many left less fortunate at the moment.

At the same time as well, I've met several people I haven't seen since before quarantine that seem to have found that weight I lost and then some! So like you I'm grateful to myself for my past decisions that have undoubtedly led to a much better, healthier place.

• Like 1

I’m new to this thread and wondered if those more experienced at running or maybe just non-gym exercise would have any advice. I’m 54, intermittently active but in a desk job. Overall pretty unfit and a little overweight. For the last couple of years I’d managed to get into a fairly reliable routine of 2 or 3 gym visits a week and a mixture of cardio and resistance machines. I’d got up to 45 minutes cardio each visit, had lost a bit of weight and felt better for it.

Obviously COVID has put paid to all that, so I reluctantly started running (I don’t enjoy it much!). I managed to get up to 3 or 4 runs a week for about 30 minutes but have twice pulled a muscle. Both times I waited a week, went out again and the same injury happened again, so clearly a week isn’t enough recovery time. So I’ve ended up being inactive for weeks at a time and when I do start again, it feels like I’m pretty much back to square one. Any sense of satisfaction I did get at being able to go a bit longer, or find it a bit easier, is lost. 

Am I missing something that could protect me against strains and sprains? Or is this just an occupational hazard? I did start pre and post-run stretches after the first problem - do I need to do more or different ones?

Any advice gratefully received!

I stopped running 7/8 years ago and got a bike instead as it’s less impact on the joints. I go out once a week and do anything from 15 ( I call it my time trial 😁) to 30 miles. I’m 59.

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

I stopped running 7/8 years ago and got a bike instead as it’s less impact on the joints. I go out once a week and do anything from 15 ( I call it my time trial 😁) to 30 miles. I’m 59.

I actually did buy a second-hand bike a couple of weeks ago, but TBH I'm a very nervous cyclist on the road. I guess it's a combination of thirty+ years seeing roads from inside a car, and still being a little wobbly on a bike. It's probably 40 years since I rode one for more than a few minutes.

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I’m new to this thread and wondered if those more experienced at running or maybe just non-gym exercise would have any advice. I’m 54, intermittently active but in a desk job. Overall pretty unfit and a little overweight. For the last couple of years I’d managed to get into a fairly reliable routine of 2 or 3 gym visits a week and a mixture of cardio and resistance machines. I’d got up to 45 minutes cardio each visit, had lost a bit of weight and felt better for it.

Obviously COVID has put paid to all that, so I reluctantly started running (I don’t enjoy it much!). I managed to get up to 3 or 4 runs a week for about 30 minutes but have twice pulled a muscle. Both times I waited a week, went out again and the same injury happened again, so clearly a week isn’t enough recovery time. So I’ve ended up being inactive for weeks at a time and when I do start again, it feels like I’m pretty much back to square one. Any sense of satisfaction I did get at being able to go a bit longer, or find it a bit easier, is lost. 

Am I missing something that could protect me against strains and sprains? Or is this just an occupational hazard? I did start pre and post-run stretches after the first problem - do I need to do more or different ones?

Mrs sonyc found a great physical fitness site called "Bob & Brad" on YouTube. Also they appear on other social media.

They are Canadians (probably in their sixties) and tackle any physical injury or organic pain problem with special videos and 'how to' tips. Check them out if you're interested. They have a quiet, non-ego humour about them. It's a great resource.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Am I missing something that could protect me against strains and sprains? Or is this just an occupational hazard?

im only 33 so dont feel qualified to comment as it may just be age related, but i would suggest that doing other low impact activity like cycling or swimming would help strengthen the muscle and be beneficial in preventing future strains. Aside from that and stretching, not sure what more you could do in preventative capacity apart from leave it a few weeks to heal properly before trying again.

In terms of treating a pulled muscle, I pulled my quad on Sunday and every piece of advice I found online was to ice it for the first 3 days every couple of hours, take anti-inflammatories, rest and elevate.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kick it off said:

In terms of treating a pulled muscle, I pulled my quad on Sunday and every piece of advice I found online was to ice it for the first 3 days every couple of hours, take anti-inflammatories, rest and elevate.

Thanks. I did do the RICE thing when I pulled my calf muscle and I think it helped, but a bit tricky when it's your hip!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Sounds like it’s various different muscles? I was going to say if it’s one all the time then it could be running style or just a specific weakness/tightness.

If it’s multiple different muscles, this might sound like I’m taking the p155 but not, do you properly warm up? I’ve found that a five or ten minute warm up (usually just a very brisk walk, some jumping on the spot, building up to a light jog etc.) and a proper stretch makes a lot of difference nowadays - where ten years ago I just got straight into it and was fine the next day as well....

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Sounds like it’s various different muscles? I was going to say if it’s one all the time then it could be running style or just a specific weakness/tightness.

If it’s multiple different muscles, this might sound like I’m taking the p155 but not, do you properly warm up? I’ve found that a five or ten minute warm up (usually just a very brisk walk, some jumping on the spot, building up to a light jog etc.) and a proper stretch makes a lot of difference nowadays - where ten years ago I just got straight into it and was fine the next day as well....

Maybe not enough, I’m working my way up to trying again, so I will be more diligent this time.