Sign in to follow this  
Bill

MOT

Just my luck mine runs out tomorrow, so I had it tested today

a sort of MOT holiday from 30th March

called into Aldo afterwards....loads of stuff but they were being quite diligant, box behinf the cashier and a supervisor was having a quiet word with someone who had tried to 'load up'

spoke to an administrator behind me who knew the woman I was buying some stuff for - she told me it takes all of her patience not to rip of masks gfrom those wandering about in them.... thankfully very, very few, her point being every bit of equipment was needed in hospitals not for people to act stupid, a few other bits but best not upset anyonef

the gist being stop panicking, use your common sense and help where you can

Back from Aldis. Spoke to plod on the way. No problem as I am shopping for food, and polite (yes, me)

They had removed all trolleys and baskets. So as to avoid contact I presume.  The stff were talking as usual. The idiocy of tapping a six foot gap was clear to see. Spoke to the girl on the till about Aldi staff not having masks. They don't work .....other than to identify customers who were coming in twice on the same day.

Plenty of food etc - but huge amounts of waste veg and bread.

The overwhelming populace seems to be heeding the message 'use your common sense' The walk there provided exercise and what I needed. I suspect we will be on top of this far sooner than most think. It won't go away and certain measures will need to be observed for sometime after. If only to be ready to meet and hopefully avoid a 'second wave' in the autumn.

50 minutes ago, Bill said:

Back from Aldis. Spoke to plod on the way. No problem as I am shopping for food, and polite (yes, me)

Obviously not the plod from on here then 😁

10 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Obviously not the plod from on here then 😁

Bill/City 1st seems to bump into an awful lotta plods on his outside excursions......?

Adult Burglar Costume - fancydress.com"It's ok Officer, I'm just off to Aldi to get some essentials".....

This is official. Mine was supposed to run out on saturday. It now runs out in october. I'll give the government credit.Well done.

Yes 6 months extension on MOT’s . Also folks be aware that a lot of the parts companies are shut down . So if you put your car through the MOT and it fails , and you can’t get the bits to fix it , it’s a car with no legal MOT  etc .  So best just leave it for the time being . 

Edited by Pockthorpe
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

Yes 6 months extension on MOT’s . Also folks be aware that a lot of the parts companies are shut down . So if you put your car through the MOT and it fails , and you can’t get the bits to fix it , it’s a car with no legal MOT  etc .  So best just leave it for the time being . 

a little known facts now is that if the car fails the MOT then you are not supposed/allowed to drive it home

and if you do, then continue you could and should be done for driving an unsafe vehicle

moot point about  how unsafe it is and whether a mile or less back home is a danger - but dodgy bodywork/brakes etc is irresponsible if you continue later

On 31/03/2020 at 08:37, Mello Yello said:

Bill/City 1st seems to bump into an awful lotta plods on his outside excursions......?

Adult Burglar Costume - fancydress.com"It's ok Officer, I'm just off to Aldi to get some essentials".....

They always seem to be speaking into their radios when I leave the house....and for some reason the seem to think I am called Roger

loads out and about today, Aldi having no baskets so you use your bag instead - good idea, they have screens .....which are great until you have to pack your stuff then it is back to face to face

can see Easter being a proble with people out, but with a bit of common sense it can be the first letting out of steam

ps from a certain angle that photo........😉

10 hours ago, Bill said:

a little known facts now is that if the car fails the MOT then you are not supposed/allowed to drive it home

and if you do, then continue you could and should be done for driving an unsafe vehicle

moot point about  how unsafe it is and whether a mile or less back home is a danger - but dodgy bodywork/brakes etc is irresponsible if you continue later

Little known because it doesn't exist 🙂

If your previous MOT certificate is still in date you can continue to drive your car providing nothing was marked as 'dangerous' (so major faults would still allow for driving until the expiration of the previous MOT certificate despite failing the later test)

Relevance being your car is much more likely to fail due to a major than a dangerous fault - and so could still be driven.

If your car fails the MOT at a Test Centre you are permitted to drive it to a place of repair before taking another test.

Any MOT is only really good for one day.

How many times to we hear about how many cars are on the road with no tax, mot, insurance.

There has to be a better way. Or a tougher way for those who don't.

Until a few years ago we didnt have mot here , just an insurance requested garage report.  Many moons before that , I went to get my  garage report done at a place that shall remain nameless as its still in business. It was raining,  the guy in the  office didnt fancy getting wet  as all the spaces in the workshop were full,  so he leaned forward,  looked out of the window and said " she looks like a grand car, are your  brakes and lights good? Ok ?that'll be eight quid." . And that was it. A few months later  a friend had a van actually tested there, within thirty Miles of passing a report ,one of his flexible brake hoses  burst. Quite glad we have  an independent testing  company now really.