Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

National League null and void

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

In a word no.

Inactivity?

So what's he doing with all his free time - he's hardly been going down the pub every night or eating Big Mac's everyday.

I would have thought that for the sort of money he's on it wouldn't be a big ask for him to keep fit.

Besides, it would be the same situation at every Club.

Anyway, I note that his contract at Chelsea runs out at the end of May.

Added to that he's 32, and IMO a vastly overrated player, so he might be out the door long before football resumes anyway.

And, if there are still restrictions, who are they going to play these pre season friendlies against?

 

Of course he's right. Players keep themselves 'fit' during the summer, but there's a difference between going out for a run and doing a bit of gym work compared to an elite professional football match.

And they'd obviously play friendlies against each other once the restrictions have lifted and before the league resumed (if it resumes, which it most probably won't).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

No they are not, they are just saying it could be lost - and one of the options is as I have been saying, to play the games when able and delay the start of next season.

Yes they have as they are now accepting it as an option, it’s now very much on the table and You still haven’t come up with a solution to how clubs will get around the commercial deals that will be ending in may and the new ones overlapping the old ones? Not to mention the players contracts which are nowhere near as easy as you just brushed off

Edited by JF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"If we don't succeed in restarting, the season will probably be lost," the Slovenian said.

Wow, this guy is a genius, no wonder he's in charge of UEFA.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JF said:
1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

No they are not, they are just saying it could be lost - and one of the options is as I have been saying, to play the games when able and delay the start of next season.

Yes they have as they are now accepting it as an option, it’s now very much on the table and You still haven’t come up with a solution to how clubs will get around the commercial deals that will be ending in may and the new ones overlapping the old ones? Not to mention the players contracts which are nowhere near as easy as you just brushed off

The solution would be that companies would make special dispensations for the extraordinary circumstances that the present crisis has thrown up. Players contracts will be sorted in like manner - extensions where appropriate.  Not easy, but then nothing surrounding this is easy, but best for all concerned if the season can be finished, which would result in a much smoother transition into next season, whenever that might be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

All major football leagues need to be declared null and void. If possible we surely want a new season to start in August, and the logistics of finishing the current one could be far too tricky to work out.

Edited by Hoola Han Solo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As anyone with any common sense can see, there will be no football until the summer at the very earliest. It’s just been said on the daily update that these social distancing measures will be around for a significant amount of time. If they push on with attempting to finish this season then far more money will be lost from losing next season. This season is done. All that remains now is to see what will happen with it. There are some suggestions that the 2 games that are lacking behind somehow get played so all teams are on the same number of games and then the final positions stand. Personally I can’t see that happening and it will be completely wiped from the records

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UK lockdown until June increasingly on the cards with the prospect of even tighter measures in the meantime. You'll then need a period of review whilst the effects of returning to normality, which sounds as if it will be on a phased basis, are monitored. Additionally players will need to an equivalent of pre season training to allow them to get safely back up to speed in order to play something like 2 games a week. The likelihood of this season finishing before October diminish by the day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

All major football leagues need to be declared null and void. If possible we surely want a new season to start in August, and the logistics of finishing the current one could be far too tricky to work out.

In an ideal world next season would start in August, but it is hardly likely to given the circumstances......and the logistics and ramifications of declaring the season null and void are every bit as difficult as arranging to finish the games later in the year.

I can't understand the desire to declare the season null and void....is it because people think it is a way we can stay in the PL? Imo it is more important to keep the bigger picture right and the system of relegation/promotion kept running as normal as possible to ensure some fairness and smooth running into next season for the whole of football, whenever that might be. In that sense finishing the games as and when they can be played is a sensible solution and then a delay in the start of the following season.  There really is no problem about starting next season late, it just means there will be more midweek games going through the season and maybe less international breaks or pointless winter breaks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

In an ideal world next season would start in August, but it is hardly likely to given the circumstances......and the logistics and ramifications of declaring the season null and void are every bit as difficult as arranging to finish the games later in the year.

I can't understand the desire to declare the season null and void....is it because people think it is a way we can stay in the PL? Imo it is more important to keep the bigger picture right and the system of relegation/promotion kept running as normal as possible to ensure some fairness and smooth running into next season for the whole of football, whenever that might be. In that sense finishing the games as and when they can be played is a sensible solution and then a delay in the start of the following season.  There really is no problem about starting next season late, it just means there will be more midweek games going through the season and maybe less international breaks or pointless winter breaks.

 

Pointless banging on about something that has already been overtaken by events.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

In an ideal world next season would start in August, but it is hardly likely to given the circumstances......and the logistics and ramifications of declaring the season null and void are every bit as difficult as arranging to finish the games later in the year.

I can't understand the desire to declare the season null and void....is it because people think it is a way we can stay in the PL? Imo it is more important to keep the bigger picture right and the system of relegation/promotion kept running as normal as possible to ensure some fairness and smooth running into next season for the whole of football, whenever that might be. In that sense finishing the games as and when they can be played is a sensible solution and then a delay in the start of the following season.  There really is no problem about starting next season late, it just means there will be more midweek games going through the season and maybe less international breaks or pointless winter breaks.

 

I want the season declared void because there are more important things than football. I know that footballers earn a lot but asking them to risk it for the sake of tv money is disgraceful 

If you offered me relegation now if we didn't start again till September I'd take it 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

LDC in contrary position shocker...

anyway I’d love this to just be over and go back to football being played but that’s not going to happen. There is also no guarantee we would stay in the PL, although I can’t see how we can be relegated in an as stands table as nothing what so ever has been concluded. 

 

Edited by JF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JF said:

LDC in contrary position shocker...

You can envision his heels digging in with every new post JF.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

In an ideal world next season would start in August, but it is hardly likely to given the circumstances......and the logistics and ramifications of declaring the season null and void are every bit as difficult as arranging to finish the games later in the year.

I can't understand the desire to declare the season null and void....is it because people think it is a way we can stay in the PL? Imo it is more important to keep the bigger picture right and the system of relegation/promotion kept running as normal as possible to ensure some fairness and smooth running into next season for the whole of football, whenever that might be. In that sense finishing the games as and when they can be played is a sensible solution and then a delay in the start of the following season.  There really is no problem about starting next season late, it just means there will be more midweek games going through the season and maybe less international breaks or pointless winter breaks.

 

I can't think of a more serious thing that has happened to the world certainly in my lifetime, the like of which is resulting in such lockdowns across the globe with serious amounts of cash and capital being poured into economies, the likes of which are unprecedented in modern times (post war).

Not only that Lakey but the situation is looking unlikely to end any time soon. We heard yesterday they would be very pleased if death rates are sub 20,000. Food shortages are muted, the health service and police service are being stretched beyond all measure, potentially they will collapse. Given all this and macro-political upheaval just where does a football season fit in to this diaspora? You've mentioned the 'bigger picture' but really, honestly, isn't it even just a tad abhorrent to think about the season.

As many others have suggested, we need a solution, to move on and only when, and that needs such careful planning to even come out of this safely ...I would suggest a month or two are likely, maybe more? The virus just won't stop on a certain date....then think of all the logistics for the Euros etc etc. ....only then can we think about the EPL or EFL.

Even China's new cases are trickling again. Herd immunity or whatever name is given to natural immunity could take years. A vaccine is looking like 12 months if, and only if, it can be tested to f*** that it will be safe. Football! As soon as people get serious and get perspective the better. Even if we were 4th in the table or bottom it's irrelevant isn't it?

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For this season the fat lady has already sung, gone home and is putting her feet up over a nice cup of coco. She's now taking a provisional booking for 2020-2021 season

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

In an ideal world next season would start in August, but it is hardly likely to given the circumstances......and the logistics and ramifications of declaring the season null and void are every bit as difficult as arranging to finish the games later in the year.

I can't understand the desire to declare the season null and void....is it because people think it is a way we can stay in the PL? Imo it is more important to keep the bigger picture right and the system of relegation/promotion kept running as normal as possible to ensure some fairness and smooth running into next season for the whole of football, whenever that might be. In that sense finishing the games as and when they can be played is a sensible solution and then a delay in the start of the following season.  There really is no problem about starting next season late, it just means there will be more midweek games going through the season and maybe less international breaks or pointless winter breaks.

 

I don't doubt some fans have in their mind that voiding the season would mean we stay up, but equally it would deprive us of the chance of a first ever FA Cup final. That is more significant than Liverpool simply being stopped from winning the league for the 19th time.

Despite what you claim, there are enormous problems (enumerated previously) in trying eventually to restart the season, especially if, as the government says, this lockdown could continue for months. No solution is perfect but the following has fewer drawbacks than anything else I have seen suggested:

All the English football authorities and those of the four other major European leagues agree to scrap this season and fix a provisional start date of the first weekend in September.

That synchronisation solves any problems with contracts running out on June 30, and the transfer window can operate as normal from July 1 to August 31, with clubs knowing which division they will be in.

The calendar can be arranged so that if the season has to start later than early September, or if some matches have to be postponed because of self-isolation, there are enough midweeks available to accommodate the delayed fixtures. Scrapping the League Cup and either scrapping the FA Cup or scrapping replays in it are obvious potential measures to take.

If the virus hasn't gone away, or returns with a vengeance, so that the season really cannot be finished it could be that the PL and EFL clubs will have agreed in advance to accept the tables being frozen and acted upon,  with promotion and relegation. The difference from now being that this will have been accepted as part of the deal, avoiding legal challenges.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The solution would be that companies would make special dispensations for the extraordinary circumstances that the present crisis has thrown up. Players contracts will be sorted in like manner - extensions where appropriate.  Not easy, but then nothing surrounding this is easy, but best for all concerned if the season can be finished, which would result in a much smoother transition into next season, whenever that might be. 

Not to get into all of the details, bit one point that you haven't addressed at all is what if the players don't want to extend their contract? If the contract has officially ended they are within their rights to walk away (perhaps go back to their home country to spend time with family they were forced to be separate from for months whilst in isolation) or demand extra money, they can't be forced to take a contract extension on the same terms and I could see some demanding a premium for a 3 month extension to cover the completion

1 hour ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

All major football leagues need to be declared null and void. If possible we surely want a new season to start in August, and the logistics of finishing the current one could be far too tricky to work out.

Not strictly true, but, one can't finish without all of the others finishing on a similar timescale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I can't think of a more serious thing that has happened to the world certainly in my lifetime, the like of which is resulting in such lockdowns across the globe with serious amounts of cash and capital being poured into economies, the likes of which are unprecedented in modern times (post war).

Not only that Lakey but the situation is looking unlikely to end any time soon. We heard yesterday they would be very pleased if death rates are sub 20,000. Food shortages are muted, the health service and police service are being stretched beyond all measure, potentially they will collapse. Given all this and macro-political upheaval just where does a football season fit in to this diaspora? You've mentioned the 'bigger picture' but really, honestly, isn't it even just a tad abhorrent to think about the season.

As many others have suggested, we need a solution, to move on and only when, and that needs such careful planning to even come out of this safely ...I would suggest a month or two are likely, maybe more? The virus just won't stop on a certain date....then think of all the logistics for the Euros etc etc. ....only then can we think about the EPL or EFL.

Even China's new cases are trickling again. Herd immunity or whatever name is given to natural immunity could take years. A vaccine is looking like 12 months if, and only if, it can be tested to f*** that it will be safe. Football! As soon as people get serious and get perspective the better. Even if we were 4th in the table or bottom it's irrelevant isn't it?

There are already riots in Southern Italy, won’t be long before the great unwashed kick off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sonyc said:

I can't think of a more serious thing that has happened to the world certainly in my lifetime, the like if which is resulting in such lockdowns across the globe and serious amounts of cash and capital being poured into economies, the likes of which are unprecedented in modern times (post war). Not only that Lakey but the situation is looking unlikely to end any time soon. We heard yesterday they would be very pleased if death rates are sub 20,000. Food shortages are muted, the health service and police service are being stretched beyond all measure, potentially they will collapse. Given all this and macro-political upheaval just where does a football season fit in to this diaspora? You've mentioned the 'bigger picture' but really, honestly, isn't it even just a tad abhorrent to think about the season. As many others have suggested, we need a solution, to move on and only when, and that needs such careful planning to even come out of this safely ...I would suggest a month or two are likely, maybe more? The virus just won't stop in a certain date....then think if all the logistics for the Euros etc etc. ....only then can we think about the EPL or EFL.

Even China's new cases are trickling again. Herd immunity or whatever name is given to natural immunity could take years. A vaccine is looking like 12 months if, and only if, it can be tested to f*** that it will be safe. Football! As soon as people get serious and get perspective the better. Even if we were 4th in the table or bottom it's irrelevant isn't it?

I understand all of that, but this is still a football forum and at some stage football will return.  It is just a question of when and how.  In many walks of life things have been put on hold and will carry on when it is safe to do so and football will be no different so what better way to carry on than to finish the season - when it is safe to do so of course, even if it means with different players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I understand all of that, but this is still a football forum and at some stage football will return.  It is just a question of when and how.  In many walks of life things have been put on hold and will carry on when it is safe to do so and football will be no different so what better way to carry on than to finish the season - when it is safe to do so of course, even if it means with different players.

it isn’t the same season then is it!!!??? You can’t have 3 transfer windows in one season. You can just see Aston Villa and West Ham spending another £50 million for the last nine games to try and escape

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I understand all of that, but this is still a football forum and at some stage football will return.  It is just a question of when and how.  In many walks of life things have been put on hold and will carry on when it is safe to do so and football will be no different so what better way to carry on than to finish the season - when it is safe to do so of course, even if it means with different players.

I don't think that will be in this season window though. We will be blessed indeed to all be able to enjoy a 2020/2021 season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sonyc said:

We will be blessed indeed to all be able to enjoy a 2020/2021 season.

Amen to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

In an ideal world next season would start in August, but it is hardly likely to given the circumstances......and the logistics and ramifications of declaring the season null and void are every bit as difficult as arranging to finish the games later in the year.

I can't understand the desire to declare the season null and void....is it because people think it is a way we can stay in the PL? Imo it is more important to keep the bigger picture right and the system of relegation/promotion kept running as normal as possible to ensure some fairness and smooth running into next season for the whole of football, whenever that might be. In that sense finishing the games as and when they can be played is a sensible solution and then a delay in the start of the following season.  There really is no problem about starting next season late, it just means there will be more midweek games going through the season and maybe less international breaks or pointless winter breaks.

 

If the season is going to start late in your scenario, then I have a few questions:-

1) how will all the cup games be played?

2) Euro 2021 will take part next summer - how do you propose to fit that in too?

3) with no winter breaks and a whole season packed into a shorter time frame (as well as Euro 2021 etc), do you not think the players will be absolutely knackered by the end of summer 2021?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Astonishing that this still hasn’t sunk in with a few, the season is over and has been since it was suspended.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hoola Han Solo said:

If the season is going to start late in your scenario, then I have a few questions:-

1) how will all the cup games be played?

2) Euro 2021 will take part next summer - how do you propose to fit that in too?

3) with no winter breaks and a whole season packed into a shorter time frame (as well as Euro 2021 etc), do you not think the players will be absolutely knackered by the end of summer 2021?

I’ll give you a clue. If the overwhelming majority of opinion was that the season should be played out whenever that is possible, LDC would be championing that the season be cancelled. It’s what he does

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I understand all of that, but this is still a football forum and at some stage football will return.  It is just a question of when and how.  In many walks of life things have been put on hold and will carry on when it is safe to do so and football will be no different so what better way to carry on than to finish the season - when it is safe to do so of course, even if it means with different players.

Dear oh dear, different players.why not complete it by playing cricket or darts or noughts and crosses.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Dear oh dear, different players.why not complete it by playing cricket or darts or noughts and crosses.

 

Had things been different blow football may have been an option

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JF said:

I’ll give you a clue. If the overwhelming majority of opinion was that the season should be played out whenever that is possible, LDC would be championing that the season be cancelled. It’s what he does

Don't be ridiculous. It's not just me saying it, plenty of people in the game want the season to be played out - mainly because they see it as being right to do so, even if it takes a year to do it and completely different players -  its a team game and it is a league system and if the only reason for declaring it void is contracts then that is not a good enough reason.  Gary Neville has outlined almost identical proposals as I have - 

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neville-liverpool-leeds-swansea-cardiff-18002125

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...