Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

National League null and void

Interesting development, probably the last thing  NCFC any or other club wanted to hear. Who is going to pay for these extended contracts, where will the money come from? On what basis will they be? Current salary or lower?

Deductions for 2021/22 season tickets will be begin early next year. At this rate I'll still be waiting for this season to finish.

The Euros will be July 2021. Every chance the Premier League will run concurrently as is the case with the African Cup of Nations.

• Like 1

Suprised that FIFA have the power to impose this decision on players and clubs. If a club, say in a lower league, has players on loan with no income coming in surely they would have the right to return them to their parent clubs when the agreement concluded. It could be the difference between going bust or survival. 

22 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Suprised that FIFA have the power to impose this decision on players and clubs. If a club, say in a lower league, has players on loan with no income coming in surely they would have the right to return them to their parent clubs when the agreement concluded. It could be the difference between going bust or survival. 

They don't. Fifa is just saying it will allow this if the various parties agree.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

They don't. Fifa is just saying it will allow this if the various parties agree.

I just can't see how this is possibly going to work. Seems rather pie in the sky.

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

I saw that. Not sure how much credence to give it. But there was one straw in the wind yesterday, namely a piece in the Mail saying EPL clubs were winding down training because there was no prospect of playing any time soon. That would fit in with voiding, or just a long delay before a restart.

And one factor which the national media have finally cottoned on to -- the Mail have some good pieces on this now - is just how much damage will be done to the pyramid below the EPL unless there is a decision/solution/rescue package very soon. The realisation is dawning that it is not all about the EPL.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

I saw that. Not sure how much credence to give it. But there was one straw in the wind yesterday, namely a piece in the Mail saying EPL clubs were winding down training because there was no prospect of playing any time soon. That would fit in with voiding, or just a long delay before a restart.

And one factor which the national media have finally cottoned on to -- the Mail have some good pieces on this now - is just how much damage will be done to the pyramid below the EPL unless there is a decision/solution/rescue package very soon. The realisation is dawning that it is not all about the EPL.

Yes, probably newspaper talk and you are right that the authorities have been slow to see the damage being done a lack of action.

The delay is entirely money driven in my opinion.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Yes, probably newspaper talk and you are right that the authorities have been slow to see the damage being done a lack of action.

That is it in a nutshell. 

If we consider China, it has taken 76 days for no deaths and a re-opening of their economy since their very severe lockdown. Italy will be lucky to get back to some kind of normality by July and we are behind by at least a month.

Trouble is SonyC, if the media is anything to go by, people are already asking when we can come out of lockdown. Yet looking at the figures, we may still be a week away from the peak. And we have no had no really sever lockdown orders like other nations.

I really do fear that if the government caves in after its Prime Minister flirts with the worst scenario, then they wanting impeaching or whatever our equivalent may be. For the sake of a month or so, lets not end up with a reprise.

14 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Completely agree. Direct finances from the broadcasters, and maintaining good PR with all the global fans of the sport who want to see it continue for future revenue streams.

I have long suspected the EPL want to give the impression of doing "everything possible" to restart the season, even if they are well aware it is unlikely they will be able to. On the other hand, I expect they are furiously negotiating with the broadcasters to forge some sort of deal ensuring that money does not have to be paid back.

I read somewhere that there is a suggestion broadcasters may not demand repayment in exchange for being able to show more games (presumably for free) next season. To this layman that sounds like a reasonable arrangement, and would presumably pave the way to voiding the season.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that there is a suggestion broadcasters may not demand repayment in exchange for being able to show more games (presumably for free) next season. To this layman that sounds like a reasonable arrangement, and would presumably pave the way to voiding the season.

That sounds sensible. Considering SKY have put up their subscriptions and you cannot get in touch with them to negotiate, The ymay well not be missing out on any money apart from advertising revenue.

56 minutes ago, Ian said:

Completely agree. Direct finances from the broadcasters, and maintaining good PR with all the global fans of the sport who want to see it continue for future revenue streams.

I have long suspected the EPL want to give the impression of doing "everything possible" to restart the season, even if they are well aware it is unlikely they will be able to. On the other hand, I expect they are furiously negotiating with the broadcasters to forge some sort of deal ensuring that money does not have to be paid back.

I agree with most of that - but there will still be some monies owed back to the broadcasters even if they can be negotiated down a little.

The broadcasters are losing money now - not in a 'new' season with a few extra games included for free. The 'extra' games won't make anybody (or very few) sign up etc who wouldn't have signed up anyway for the new season and currently 'Sky Sports' etc is free! which it wouldn't normally be!

In short the income from the 'missing' games for the broadcasters is already lost. They will expect the EPL to a make good (or at least negotiate) a refund based on non-delivery (or non-delivery in the timescales agreed) . Very sadly some clubs seems to have spent or committed monies they have not, or never will it seems, earn.

Scottish clubs below PL level are voting on finishing the season as it stands today

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

“It doesn’t matter how long it takes, we need to get out of this danger zone. I am worried for the next seasons, not the old one.”

I thought that was an interesting quote from that article. Far too much time has been spent worrying about this season whereas IMO we will be lucky to see next season completed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Confirmed.

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/national-league-statement-remaining-league-matches-61884

I'm gutted for Lynn but it's the sensible solution, I feel.

Nobody could see that coming could they😂

Having said that I also feel sorry for Lynn, they were having a great season and looked nailed on to go up.

The virus takes no prisoners however.

The promotion and relegation places have not yet been confirmed though have they?

Correct Sony, this doesn't mean King's Lynn won't be promoted. In fact, King's Lynn's Chairman even voted in favour of finishing the league now (which is what today's statement confirmed).

The leagues will now vote on what to do with promotion and relegation. Options include 

- No promotion or relegation

- Promotion and relegation decided on current positions (regardless of games played)

- Promotion and relegations decided on points per game achieved to date

Only the last option would see King's Lynn promoted and hence what the Chairman is in favour of. 

The Premier league are looking into plans for the season to be completed in North Korea as they have been assured of a warm welcome, Great hospitality and absolutely no chance of Coronavirus. PL chiefs have also been impressed by Kim Jong un’s illustrious professional career which saw him win the Ballon D’or a record 25 years in a row 

edit: I admit that I made this up and this is fake news but it wouldn’t surprise me the way it’s going...

Edited by JF

8 minutes ago, Bovril said:

Correct Sony, this doesn't mean King's Lynn won't be promoted. In fact, King's Lynn's Chairman even voted in favour of finishing the league now (which is what today's statement confirmed).

The leagues will now vote on what to do with promotion and relegation. Options include 

- Promotion and relegation decided on current positions (regardless of games played)

Only the last option would see King's Lynn promoted and hence what the Chairman is in favour of. 

Indeed.The National Leagues haven't yet been treated null and void, but cancelled. If promotion and relegation is decided on whatever basis it COULD be a precedent to be carried forward. It might not, but it's an interesting development and for those who are hoping for null and void to secure our EPL survival, it's not over yet! Anything can happen, other than completing the season.

2 hours ago, Bovril said:

Option two is terribly unfair in any division. The only realistic options are one and three, but three puts teams who have an easier run-in at an unfair disadvantage. Also, relegating any team doesn't sit well with me.

Unfortunately for Lynn, I think null and void is the fairest solution. Missing out on promotion is incredibly unlucky, but being relegated is even worse.

Premier League are meeting next on 1st May. Chance perhaps at this time to know whether they will cancel the season? ....( noted in Guardian today, several clubs now discussing this but yet to raise their concerns in the full meeting).

2 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Premier League are meeting next on 1st May. Chance perhaps at this time to know whether they will cancel the season? ....( noted in Guardian today, several clubs now discussing this but yet to raise their concerns in the full meeting).

No club - especially if they can be seen to have a vested interest - wants to be the first to raise the question. One of the co-authors of that Guardian piece is Paul MacInnes, who is a Norwich City fan, although that doesn’t necessarily mean we are one of the clubs he’s spoken to. But overall it is in tune with some other reports about the practical difficulties of playing behind closed doors.

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

No club - especially if they can be seen to have a vested interest - wants to be the first to raise the question. One of the co-authors of that Guardian piece is Paul MacInnes, who is a Norwich City fan, although that doesn’t necessarily mean we are one of the clubs he’s spoken to. But overall it is in tune with some other reports about the practical difficulties of playing behind closed doors.

Ah I didn't know he was. Good to have agents like him 😉. Yet, some good questions were raised in his report about the practicalities.

11 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Apart from the difficulty of completing this season, it just as much raises the question of starting the next behind closed doors, given the unlikelihood of fans being allowed in for several months.