Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

National League null and void

1 minute ago, Barry Brockes said:

What clout do UEFA actually have? I thought Belgium announced yesterday that their season has finished and Bruges have been declared Champions. Promotions and relegations to be decided by a Committee. 

The clout they have is control over who plays in the Champions League and the Europa League. The threat is that Bruges won't now be allowed in and nor will any team from a league that doesn't play the season to a finish.

Forget European football for next season. 85 clubs in this Nation don't take part. Football has to concentrate on its domestic leagues first and only. To mould next season around four clubs wanting CL is obscene and would show that those clubs dominate football to such an extent that they should clear off and form their TV league. Good riddance. And I couldn't care less if they have budgeted for it next season. You cannot spend what you haven't got. Oops, I forgot, they do all the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Forget European football for next season. 85 clubs in this Nation don't take part. Football has to concentrate on its domestic leagues first and only. To mould next season around four clubs wanting CL is obscene and would show that those clubs dominate football to such an extent that they should clear off and form their TV league. Good riddance. And I couldn't care less if they have budgeted for it next season. You cannot spend what you haven't got. Oops, I forgot, they do all the time.

Quite right but events will overtake them anyway.

15 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Absolutely, which I why I said this threat could end up being counter-productive. But what it needs for some EPL club today to call for Uefa's timetable to be rejected. Not holding my breath, though.

The level of self indulgence and greed being shown during an international crisis beggars belief.

There is zero reason other than money not to cancel this season, talk of “integrity of football” is beyond insulting.

Football should be setting an example, not giving people false impression that this isn’t as serious as it is.

Edited by Monty13

Just now, Monty13 said:

The level of self indulgence and greed being shown during an international crisis beggars belief.

There is zero reason other than money not to cancel this season, talk of “integrity of football” is beyond insulting.

Football should be setting an example, not given people false impression that this isn’t as serious as it is.

Don't know why talking about the future of football is self indulgent. Money is involved, of course it is, but there is a lot more to it than that.  We are in an international crisis for sure and I don't think anyone is belittling that, but things have to go on afterwards and the integrity of football in terms of relegation and promotion issues is important for when football eventually returns.  Voiding this season just creates problems for the future,  whereas putting it on hold until such time it can return would seem a more rational thing to do, leading more smoothly into the following season. The timescale for that will emerge as the crisis lessens, maybe in 6 months, maybe longer.  Once voided there is no going back, putting it on hold leaves the option open to fulfil the fixtures and make it easier to move on afterwards. 

Uefa are going to be missing a hell of a lot of top teams next season....

Don't know why talking about the future of football is self indulgent. Money is involved, of course it is, but there is a lot more to it than that.  We are in an international crisis for sure and I don't think anyone is belittling that, but things have to go on afterwards and the integrity of football in terms of relegation and promotion issues is important for when football eventually returns.  Voiding this season just creates problems for the future,  whereas putting it on hold until such time it can return would seem a more rational thing to do, leading more smoothly into the following season. The timescale for that will emerge as the crisis lessens, maybe in 6 months, maybe longer.  Once voided there is no going back, putting it on hold leaves the option open to fulfil the fixtures and make it easier to move on afterwards. 

Funny that it is only self indulgent football is waiting. Yes self indulgent, selfish, greedy, self important football. No wonder that I enjoy watching Rugby more and more now. It has its greedy clubs but Exeter made it to the top from nowhere. And they have made a decision about their game. It is all about money LDC. Can you not recognise it?

20 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Funny that it is only self indulgent football is waiting.

It's not though, is it.  In many walks of life things have been put on hold.  Some one off events have been cancelled, but others have been postponed. I'm involved in a theatre project that we had to choose to either cancel or postpone.  We decided to postpone so all the hard work we have done so far could be put to good use when things return to normal. The contracts that were in place for that have been altered and left open ended date wise to accomodate the uncertainty of when that might be.

The sense of purpose is there that the work will be completed - if we had cancelled, we still could not plan another event because of  the uncertainty - and that is the same for football, cancel it and things are still uncertain......except that you have messed up the one thing that keeps things going - the ongoing season to season relegations and promotions. 

Smooth transition into carrying on is what needs to be in place and postponing the games then fulfilling them when the time is right is the best way to go. Money? Of course money is involved, but it is not everything and never will be.

36 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Talking about the future of football is self indulgent because no decisions are being made and no one can plan to resolve the obvious issues arising from no football being played. All based on the fantasy of the game restarting soon when major events, including sporting, are being cancelled as far away as August. 

Everyone in the game should know where they stand, measures should be taking place to protect the financial security of clubs based on a workable plan, including player pay cuts. The only reason for this posturing is trying to keep hold of cash that’s already gone bar the shouting about who owes who what. It’s pathetic IMO.

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

Talking about the future of football is self indulgent because no decisions are being made and no one can plan to resolve the obvious issues arising from no football being played. All based on the fantasy of the game restarting soon when major events, including sporting, are being cancelled as far away as August. 

Everyone in the game should know where they stand, measures should be taking place to protect the financial security of clubs based on a workable plan, including player pay cuts. The only reason for this posturing is trying to keep hold of cash that’s already gone bar the shouting about who owes who what. It’s pathetic IMO.

Yes. Totally correct.

23 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Under the circumstances, if people want to know where they stand, what better than knowing that games will carry on as normal on a timescale that will be dictated by events?   In the meantime they - and we - all have to find a way of keeping things going until such time as things get more back to normal.  

It is going to get difficult for many clubs right through the leagues and there is no one solution. Pin costs right back is the main thing and yes to players taking pay cuts is one way of keeping costs down when there is no income, but really, for most lesser clubs, it will mean scrimping and saving, losing players who are out of contract in June, etc etc. It's going to be tough and it will take football years to get back to where it was, but I don't see that voiding this season makes any difference to that. 

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Under the circumstances, if people want to know where they stand, what better than knowing that games will carry on as normal on a timescale that will be dictated by events?   In the meantime they - and we - all have to find a way of keeping things going until such time as things get more back to normal.  

It is going to get difficult for many clubs right through the leagues and there is no one solution. Pin costs right back is the main thing and yes to players taking pay cuts is one way of keeping costs down when there is no income, but really, for most lesser clubs, it will mean scrimping and saving, losing players who are out of contract in June, etc etc. It's going to be tough and it will take football years to get back to where it was, but I don't see that voiding this season makes any difference to that. 

What better way than kicking it down the road and hoping for the best against all evidence?

Most I’d think.

Edited by Monty13

Simple fact is that if this season takes too long to finish then it ruins next season. So a timeline has to be in place to finish this season and be able to start the next one on time. It’s always been about the money and nothing else, don’t talk **** about integrity, it’s all motivated by money. So there is the problem, if this season can’t finish before giving next season time to start and finish, also allowing for any potential outbreaks into next season, they risk losing a whole year of payments / commercial / sponsorship ect, which will make this seasons losses look like small change. At the moment they want both payments but the longer it goes, the more they will realise it’s one or the other. 

• Like 1

Just now, JF said:

Simple fact is that if this season takes too long to finish then it ruins next season. So a timeline has to be in place to finish this season and be able to start the next one on time.

Next season is already at risk. Football might not start again until late this year - October or November and possibly even not until next year, so on the timescale and uncertainty we are dealing with, it might be best to keep options open.

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Next season is already at risk. Football might not start again until late this year - October or November and possibly even not until next year, so on the timescale and uncertainty we are dealing with, it might be best to keep options open.

If that’s the case then it’s pointless worrying about it. Football as we know it would be finished. It’s this season or next, that will start to become very clear 

13 minutes ago, JF said:

If that’s the case then it’s pointless worrying about it. Football as we know it would be finished. It’s this season or next, that will start to become very clear 

NCFC won't be on existence. There's only so much time they can keep taking season ticket money, then where's the revenue coming from? No surprise City at the front of the queue for handouts. 

No way am I paying for a season ticket for the rest of this year with nothing to see for it. A line has to be drawn under this season and we move on with the next when that can start.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

NCFC won't be on existence. There's only so much time they can keep taking season ticket money, then where's the revenue coming from? No surprise City at the front of the queue for handouts. 

No way am I paying for a season ticket for the rest of this year with nothing to see for it. A line has to be drawn under this season and we move on with the next when that can start.

Exactly. And we’re talking about the top end of the ladder here, how long can championship, league 1 and 2 teams last for? Enough of this nonsense about the integrity of the game, what’s at stake here is the existence of many clubs. A line needs to be drawn under this season sooner rather than later and a workable plan for next season that includes time for any further disruption. 

• Like 1

Yes, you could  see a point where there may be a reduced number of clubs across the leagues if things just drift on. It's quite a nonsense. A plan to keep clubs going would make for a far better focus than whether a season is finishing (at this moment in time ... and projecting those virus numbers).

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Funny that it is only self indulgent football is waiting. Yes self indulgent, selfish, greedy, self important football. No wonder that I enjoy watching Rugby more and more now. It has its greedy clubs but Exeter made it to the top from nowhere. And they have made a decision about their game. It is all about money LDC. Can you not recognise it?

Seriously, you're holding rugby up as an example? Ever heard of Saracens? That was nothing to do with money, obviously.

I'm afraid we all live in a democratic, free market based country so all this posturing about the evil of money is just that - posturing. Of course it's about money; everything is, even your own situations.

All this nonsense being spouted on here about the season being over just so that Norwich might not get relegated - why don't you all just admit it? That's the reason you all follow the herd and say that null and void is the only, inevitable response to the current situation. Well, it isn't the only response - it's one possible response; one very, very unlikely possible response. 

To suggest that null and void is the only justifiable compassionate response is just garbage; an attempt to seize the moral high ground without evidence.

If Norwich were mid-table none of you would be saying that null and void is the only solution. 

Seriously, you're holding rugby up as an example? Ever heard of Saracens? That was nothing to do with money, obviously.

Didn't read my post closely enough did you. Read it again. I said there are some greedy clubs. And if Saracens are all you can come up with then it clearly is nowhere near the level of football. And the RFU have made a decision after coonsultation with clubs. The season is finished. And clubs that want promotion will get it and those that do not won't. And whether you think its a daft idea, it is a decision. Not the gutless football authorities who are running scared of a few EPL clubs.

I'm afraid we all live in a democratic, free market based country so all this posturing about the evil of money is just that - posturing. Of course it's about money; everything is, even your own situations.

All this nonsense being spouted on here about the season being over just so that Norwich might not get relegated - why don't you all just admit it? That's the reason you all follow the herd and say that null and void is the only, inevitable response to the current situation. Well, it isn't the only response - it's one possible response; one very, very unlikely possible response. 

To suggest that null and void is the only justifiable compassionate response is just garbage; an attempt to seize the moral high ground without evidence.

If Norwich were mid-table none of you would be saying that null and void is the only solution

You have a too narrow view. Football exist outside the EPL. The majority of players, coaches, spectators involved in football just do not give two monkeys about the Greed League.

13 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

If Norwich were mid-table none of you would be saying that null and void is the only solution. 

Cancellation of the season is by far the most likely outcome, any plan to continue late into the summer months puts next season at risk and the far higher financial losses that will bring. If the season is ‘null and void’ or some other working out used remains to be seen. But I can’t see any way this season finishes in time to allow for next season as well. I honestly think it’s one or the other

Edited by JF

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Didn't read my post closely enough did you. Read it again. I said there are some greedy clubs. And if Saracens are all you can come up with then it clearly is nowhere near the level of football. And the RFU have made a decision after coonsultation with clubs. The season is finished. And clubs that want promotion will get it and those that do not won't. And whether you think its a daft idea, it is a decision. Not the gutless football authorities who are running scared of a few EPL clubs.

I don't see the difference - there are some greedy rugby clubs; there are some greedy football clubs. But you say "it is clearly nowhere near the level of football"?? Sorry, but that's just wrong. Where is your evidence that any football club is deliberately cheating like Saracens did? When did a PL team ever get forcible relegated for paying their players in brown envelopes? Rugby has got much bigger problems than football has.

Anyway, just because one sport has made a decision doesn't mean another should make the same one, just because you want them to. Holding rugby up as an example to us all about how to go about their business is completely invalid to the argument about how football should proceed. 

Playing games behind closed doors whilst there is the slightest possibility that Covid 19 not entirely eradicated would attract the government taking legal action against the PL and any clubs for a breach of Health and Safety Regulations.  Sure in the current climate the PL would be a live contender for governmental action.

We are yet to hear from any government sources regarding the actions of the PL more important things to be handled expect a  response if PL try to finish the season during this crisis  

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

If Norwich were mid-table none of you would be saying that null and void is the only solution

You have a too narrow view. Football exist outside the EPL. The majority of players, coaches, spectators involved in football just do not give two monkeys about the Greed League.

Sorry, but I completely disagree - if anything I would suggest that you are unable to see the bigger picture. We're not talking about grassroots football, we're just talking about the professional game and what should or might happen. At the professional level it's about money. Full stop. That's why it's called professional.

14 minutes ago, pete said:

Playing games behind closed doors whilst there is the slightest possibility that Covid 19 not entirely eradicated would attract the government taking legal action against the PL and any clubs for a breach of Health and Safety Regulations.  Sure in the current climate the PL would be a live contender for governmental action.

We are yet to hear from any government sources regarding the actions of the PL more important things to be handled expect a  response if PL try to finish the season during this crisis  

Behind closed doors is  also incredibly misleading, probably requires a few hundred people to be there to televise it ect, plus the medical teams which won’t be allowed to attend but matches can’t be played without them. Not to mention police in case and idiots try to turn up outside the ground. Any ideas that this gets finished behind closed doors are pie in the sky. 4 leagues and cups to finish, that’s several hundred matches still to play

Edited by JF

I don't see the difference - there are some greedy rugby clubs; there are some greedy football clubs. But you say "it is clearly nowhere near the level of football"?? Sorry, but that's just wrong. Where is your evidence that any football club is deliberately cheating like Saracens did? When did a PL team ever get forcible relegated for paying their players in brown envelopes? Rugby has got much bigger problems than football has.

Anyway, just because one sport has made a decision doesn't mean another should make the same one, just because you want them to. Holding rugby up as an example to us all about how to go about their business is completely invalid to the argument about how football should proceed. 

Nonsense. Many football clubs have had just a slap across the wrist for breaking the rules, Barca, PSG, Chelsea. So wha tDerby did was fair? And Saracens would argue they believe they didn't do anything wrong, even though we know they did.

Football leaders and authorities are totally gutless or corrupt. Blatter, Platini, Grondona are just three top officials who were totally corrupt. Beckenbauer wasn't averse to a bung.

You are trying hard to find a reason for a problem that could and should have been sorted. And yes, the lead shown by other sports should have been an inspiration for football but I guess the arrogant cowardly corruptable football authorities know better.

Anyway we won't ever agree on this so we agree to differ.

40 minutes ago, JF said:

Behind closed doors is  also incredibly misleading, probably requires a few hundred people to be there to televise it ect, plus the medical teams which won’t be allowed to attend but matches can’t be played without them. Not to mention police in case and idiots try to turn up outside the ground. Any ideas that this gets finished behind closed doors are pie in the sky. 4 leagues and cups to finish, that’s several hundred matches still to play

That’s not to mention if the games are being played and it’s behind a paywall to view it people will gather together to watch, pubs open or not.