Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

National League null and void

Well, they're aware of the fact that even in July we will not be through this. Football authorities will follow you'd think.

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Well, they're aware of the fact that even in July we will not be through this. Football authorities will follow you'd think.

Well its not football but the Edinburgh festival was cancelled to today, 1st time in 70 years, just highlighting that any major events, football or otherwise, are fast going by the wayside  for this year. I dont know if the English football associations take their cue from the European ones but the longer they hold off the more diabolical they will look.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

I can see why you might think that, but I don't agree. I still think the nuclear option is indefinite suspension as opposed to null and void. 

I see no possibility of this happening. There will be a cut off where nul and void becomes fait acompli. It is something they will have to face up to sooner rather than later.

Uefa still insist they will find a way for the season to finish but have indefinitely postponed champions league/ Europa. In other news I insist I will find a way to win tonight’s lottery triple rollover...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Well its not football but the Edinburgh festival was cancelled to today, 1st time in 70 years, just highlighting that any major events, football or otherwise, are fast going by the wayside  for this year. I dont know if the English football associations take their cue from the European ones but the longer they hold off the more diabolical they will look.

I agree. It feels ridiculous already. 

21 minutes ago, sonyc said:

You certainly, this uncertainty isn't helping anyone.

To be fair though, the EPL took action (even though it was only a postponement) whilst the government was still saying no drastic action was yet required - of course the government's judgement was completely wrong as it has been consistently throughout the crisis but the EPL, other sporting bodies, and indeed many businesses deserve some credit for seeing what the government failed to see even though they had a great deal more info than the rest of us.

So whilst I don't know this, I suspect sport generally are hoping that the government will eventually make the decision for them because that may avoid a lot of contracual/financial problems that they'll encounter if they make another unilateral decision to abandon the season.

So although I don't like it, I have some sympathy for football's approach of delaying making a definite decision whilst maintaining the pretence that the season can be completed - it can't and won't as @ricardo has been saying right from the start.

Trouble is 'totally indecisive' appear to be two more of Boris' many middle names that we previously didn't know about so it looks as though its going to be a case of who blinks first, EPL or Boris - and from their track records I think we all know that Boris will bottle it first but maybe not yet awhile.

Edited by Creative Midfielder

Even if played behind closed doors what about the safety of players, the officials and the medical staff who have to come on to the pitch to attend to injuries.

Be a strange game of footy if everyone has to keep 2m apart but even if they did then there'll still be players gobbing all over the pitch and dripping sweat for others to come into contact with the minute they "fall over".

Look, get real. It will not be allowed to happen.

Edited by Making Plans

Interesting choice of words that the leagues want the seasons to be finished to protect the integrity of the leagues. Does that mean that the rugby leagues that were cancelled and other major sporting events have now lost their integrity? No, I don’t think so. It’s about the money, nothing more and nothing less. As for the integrity of the league and final standings, that surely is in doubt behind closed doors anyway as it loses home advantage. Something we were heavily relying on in our final home matches 

11 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Even if played behind closed doors what about the safety of players, the officials and the medical staff who have to come on to the pitch to attend to injuries.

Be a strange game of footy if everyone has to keep 2m apart but even if they did then there'll still be players gobbing all over the pitch and dripping sweat for others to come into contact with the minute they "fall over".

Look, get real. It will not be allowed to happen.

Oh I don't know. Our defence has been practising self-distancing all season...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Government will only take action if PL or EFL take the decision to commence whilst there is any chance of infection until then they will not interfere.    Once the leagues take this into account the season will be suspended unless season is to be completed whenever at a date to be decided.

39 minutes ago, JF said:

Interesting choice of words that the leagues want the seasons to be finished to protect the integrity of the leagues. Does that mean that the rugby leagues that were cancelled and other major sporting events have now lost their integrity? No, I don’t think so. It’s about the money, nothing more and nothing less. As for the integrity of the league and final standings, that surely is in doubt behind closed doors anyway as it loses home advantage. Something we were heavily relying on in our final home matches 

They should play five a side and no heading. We were pretty good at that once upon a time.

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Wimbledon cancelled. What happened to the TV rights? Hint.

Wimbledon has pandemic insurance which is why it was an easy decision for them. The Premier League doesn't. However, it does create a potential precedent which could be used in defence of potential claims - claimants may struggle to win a breach of contract claim if it is shown that the contract could not be completed; although that won't stop thousands of claims being made on the hope of success.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

I see no possibility of this happening. There will be a cut off where nul and void becomes fait acompli. It is something they will have to face up to sooner rather than later.

It's already happening - Champions and Europa League both suspended indefinitely. 

2 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

It's already happening - Champions and Europa League both suspended indefinitely. 

I see absolutely no possibility of either of these competitions finishing. How exactly could that possibly happen this year when the situation all across Europe is so dire. It’s already been stated that the match between Atalanta and Valencia was the catalyst for 2 major outbreaks in Italy and Spain. 

1 minute ago, JF said:

I see absolutely no possibility of either of these competitions finishing. How exactly could that possibly happen this year when the situation all across Europe is so dire. It’s already been stated that the match between Atalanta and Valencia was the catalyst for 2 major outbreaks in Italy and Spain. 

I don't disagree with you - I'm not advocating the competitions finishing, just that UEFA and the EPL and every other major league will do everything to avoid null and void.

4 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I don't disagree with you - I'm not advocating the competitions finishing, just that UEFA and the EPL and every other major league will do everything to avoid null and void.

Yeah they will continue to kick the can down the road until they run out of road. There is a slim chance the English leagues could finish if it runs well into the summer, and all the obstacles obstructing that are somehow got around. but the Champions League and Europa league have no chance. Uefa are looking increasingly crass for their actions when in the face of everything that’s happening in Europe they should provide clarity and an end to this charade and cancel it 

Edited by JF

Addenbrookes modelling on the basis that the peak will be on 4 weeks time. Looking at the 100s still crammed in like sardines on the London Underground 4 weeks is optimistic. We are a million miles away from stability let alone a sustained reduction in new cases.

Edited by Capt. Pants

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

We are a million mikes away from stability let alone a sustained reduction in new cases.

I rest my case your Honour.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Wimbledon has pandemic insurance which is why it was an easy decision for them.

They are not alone - Ascot, The Jockey Club, Epsom and The Grand National all have the same insurance cover

Most interesting discussion on here deserves to be on page 1, keep commenting

17 hours ago, Making Plans said:

They are not alone - Ascot, The Jockey Club, Epsom and The Grand National all have the same insurance cover

What I do find absolutely remarkable is that despite the EPL being one of the richest leagues in the world, one of the most popular in the world, and one full of international players that there seemed to be absolutely no thought or legislation for what happens in the event a season cannot be completed due to external forces.

Surely, if there was something in place within the rules indicating that a season will be voided if it becomes impossible to complete for specified reasons (war/pandemic etc.), there would be no possibility of legal action and/or a plan to recompense or reach an agreement with the broadcasters accordingly.

I was certain that this would have been thought of by the EPL, but people much cleverer than me suggest there is nothing in the rules anywhere with regards to the current circumstances, which I find absolutely incredible.

• Like 1

Some years ago (I think, the late 1990s) I was involved in a product campaign for Premier League clubs which was, loosely, an insurance product which kind of guaranteed levels of income in the event of certain things happening, one of which was "an unforeseen interruption of the season". Although unofficially endorsed there was little interest - the TV money was rising so fast that no one had the vision to see the problem or make any plan for a situation they just could not visualise.

It is astonishing that the EPL rules don't cover it - particularly when the issue has been discussed before.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

But they haven't gone for "null and void" - they have cancelled the rest of the season and the current league positions stand. If the EPL go with that option do we sue them for potential lost income, given that we think we would have won 6 of our last 9 games?

6 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

But they haven't gone for "null and void" - they have cancelled the rest of the season and the current league positions stand. If the EPL go with that option do we sue them for potential lost income, given that we think we would have won 6 of our last 9 games?

Can’t possibly happen with Aston Villa having a game in hand and Bournemouth would be relegated on goal difference with 9 games to go! Then the play offs in the championship.  There  is no way that any of the bottom 3 would accept that and the legal battles would stop any new season ever starting 

Edited by JF
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

'The league’s board of directors made the decision and have made a recommendation to the general assembly. It will be made official on 15 April with a working group to decide relegation and promotion issues.'

Possible they may decide to promote but not relegate. It was done in Chile a season or two back.

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

'The league’s board of directors made the decision and have made a recommendation to the general assembly. It will be made official on 15 April with a working group to decide relegation and promotion issues.'

Possible they may decide to promote but not relegate. It was done in Chile a season or two back.

I didn’t know that re Chile. Do they normally have playoffs? If so did they just promote the side top of the playoffs or only those who were in the automatic positions do you know?

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Have to confess that I find all of this completely fascinating, looking at all the possible scenarios and the potential issues etc. Almost as much fun as watching football. At least it keeps the grey matter working.