Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

National League null and void

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Don't be ridiculous. It's not just me saying it, plenty of people in the game want the season to be played out - mainly because they see it as being right to do so, even if it takes a year to do it and completely different players -  its a team game and it is a league system and if the only reason for declaring it void is contracts then that is not a good enough reason.  Gary Neville has outlined almost identical proposals as I have - 

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neville-liverpool-leeds-swansea-cardiff-18002125

Sorry, but that’s just nonsense thinking.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Don't be ridiculous. It's not just me saying it, plenty of people in the game want the season to be played out - mainly because they see it as being right to do so, even if it takes a year to do it and completely different players -  its a team game and it is a league system and if the only reason for declaring it void is contracts then that is not a good enough reason.  Gary Neville has outlined almost identical proposals as I have - 

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neville-liverpool-leeds-swansea-cardiff-18002125

It becomes more ridiculous by the day.

You can't restart a Grand Prix when all the cars have crashed; or perhaps they could finish it on bikes.

If it's a completely different year then you'd lose the whole of another season. The whole. For what? 9 to 13 games and finals. Just imagine the losses for sponsors for losing out on a complete season.

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

You’re the one being ridiculous. For the last time, this season can’t be finished unless EVERY team in EVERY league has the exact same squad. There is no way this season will be finished with different players. That is an outcome that has no chance of happening and to suggest it would is pure ignorance 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JF said:

You’re the one being ridiculous. For the last time, this season can’t be finished unless EVERY team in EVERY league has the exact same squad. There is no way this season will be finished with different players. That is an outcome that has no chance of happening and to suggest it would is pure ignorance 

We are in uprecedented times.  Anything is possible and if it means different players then so be it - it is a team game after all and football will have to react to the circumstances so if rules have to be changed to adapt to the sitiuation then that is what will have to happen. 

Ok, you and others are comfortable that voiding the season is the only way to go -  it is one solution, but it is not the only one. 

I haven't seen anyone with any real influence or knowledge yet say that the season definitely won't be completed, yet people on here hold forth and call others ignorant and ridiculous for even suggesting it might still be. No one on here actually knows anything but this kind of abuse sums up what is wrong with this message board.

It's supposed to be about opinions exchanged but apparently you can't disagree with any of the sacred circle or you just get abuse. How about using this period where you can't go out and swig cider to grow up a bit?

Saying things like "there's no way" and "there's no chance" when you are just as clueless about what will happen just makes you look a little silly...

• Like 1

I don't think there is much abuse sgnfc, certainly some strong opinions. But on the whole they are civil. Your point is correct too.

I think we need to test each others' views, sometimes it creates an influencing effect. No bad thing. I don't like over-personalisation though. LDC is a NCFC supporter through and through. Bottom line. No problem with him disagreeing with me.

As for messageboards I actually think this one is one of the best. Just look at a few others to compare.

Edited by sonyc

For what it's worth, I don't think we should finish the season but I have a nasty feeling that we may. Money is God. I just hope that none of the players get hurt. Gordon Taylor is still head of the PFA but I haven't heard anything from him yet. 

If we do start in July and with a Euros in 2021 at the end of the season a lot of players are going to be asked to play for almost 12 months without a break. The people in charge won't care but what about the players? 

Could it be possible that some of the bigger clubs won't cope financially if the season ends early? 

27 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I haven't seen anyone with any real influence or knowledge yet say that the season definitely won't be completed, yet people on here hold forth and call others ignorant and ridiculous for even suggesting it might still be. No one on here actually knows anything but this kind of abuse sums up what is wrong with this message board.

It's supposed to be about opinions exchanged but apparently you can't disagree with any of the sacred circle or you just get abuse. How about using this period where you can't go out and swig cider to grow up a bit?

Saying things like "there's no way" and "there's no chance" when you are just as clueless about what will happen just makes you look a little silly...

Of cause the season can still be finished if the level of the virus drops and restrictions are eased. But it is ignorance to believe it can be done with different players. That can’t and won’t happen. The season was suspended, it can’t then restart with different squads. That is a suggestion that hasn’t been mentioned by anyone other than LDC because he doesn’t have an answer to the contract conundrum. In LDC’s plan when the season restarts we could be without Aaron’s who may be at Spurs and Cantwell who may be at Liverpool...

Edited by JF

1 minute ago, JF said:

Of cause the season can still be finished but it is ignorance to believe it can be done with different players. That can’t and won’t happen. The season was suspended, it can’t then restart with different squads. That is a suggestion that hasn’t been mentioned by anyone other than LDC because he doesn’t have an answer to the contract conundrum 

I don't pretend to have answers, but I know contracts can be changed/adjusted and I know rules can be changed alltered if needed - but a null and void season would cause real injustice to be done - not to mention cause law suits - and imo that could be avoided and a smoother path made to next season if the games are played in the Autumn (if indeed football can return in the Autumn) and the next season to be delayed.

Also it is not ignorance to think it could be done with different players, anything can be agreed, given the unprecedented situation.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

It's not just me saying it, plenty of people in the game want the season to be played out

Of course everyone, in an ideal World, would want to see the current season played out.

Trouble is, it is not an ideal World at the moment, it will not be an ideal World for at least 6 months, and the season will not be played out.

Really, people can huff & puff as much as they like, look and consider all the various options, wring their hands and gnash their teeth and delay the inevitable for as long as they want but at the end of the day it ain't never gonna happen.

Edited by Making Plans
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I don't pretend to have answers, but I know contracts can be changed/adjusted and I know rules can be changed alltered if needed - but a null and void season would cause real injustice to be done - not to mention cause law suits - and imo that could be avoided and a smoother path made to next season if the games are played in the Autumn (if indeed football can return in the Autumn) and the next season to be delayed.

Also it is not ignorance to think it could be done with different players, anything can be agreed, given the unprecedented situation.

Well I can absolutely guarantee that no clubs will be agreeing to continue with different squads. It simply wouldn’t be the same season then and would give a number of teams unfair advantages or disadvantages. It either gets finished with the same squads in a realistic timescale or it gets voided. I hope it gets finished in that realistic timescale as it will mean there is light at the end of the tunnel from this nightmare 

• Like 1

The easiest thing about getting it finished would be extending players contracts. No one is going to walk away from a club and be remembered for it for the rest of their career. 

The hard thing is playing so many games in such a short space of time. Injuries will increase dramatically 

Just now, dylanisabaddog said:

The easiest thing about getting it finished would be extending players contracts. No one is going to walk away from a club and be remembered for it for the rest of their career. 

The hard thing is playing so many games in such a short space of time. Injuries will increase dramatically 

I'm not sure that's as easy as it sounds though as not all clubs will be able to afford extend those contracts and some players will want more than just an extension period just to cover off the end of the season, especially those in the relegation zone. Some players might not even want that anyway, I might use Grealish and Aarons as examples who if rumours are true have already been tapped up for moves elsewhere. You can't force players to extend/renew contracts no more you can to force it on the clubs.

The way things are panning out it will be the clubs who won’t want to extend contracts as they won’t be able to afford to do so. It’s a pigs ear of a mess and the longer it goes on the harder it is to come up with a solution that allows the season to conclude.

I very much hope the season concludes as that would mean that this horrible situation we are in will be drifting into the past. Wishful thinking I’m afraid. 

• Like 2

To be honest, I don’t really see the point of scrapping it yet. Got to be a case of wait and see where we are at the end of April, maybe even into the middle/end of May. 

Football is no different to everyone else in the country whose lives are effectively on hold until we have more news - we don’t know how things will go, just got to wait and see. 

6 minutes ago, Aggy said:

To be honest, I don’t really see the point of scrapping it yet. Got to be a case of wait and see where we are at the end of April, maybe even into the middle/end of May. 

Football is no different to everyone else in the country whose lives are effectively on hold until we have more news - we don’t know how things will go, just got to wait and see. 

Prevarication will just cost more time and worse money.

Clubs need to make plans sooner rather than later - address and mitigate the financial issues which won't go away. It's just good business sense.

4 minutes ago, Aggy said:

I would like them to wait as long as possible in order to try to finish the season - but they need to set a date as to when that would be.

If I were them, I would schedule the Euro 2021 tournament and work backwards - pencil in next seasons PL fixture list as compact as they see fit. That should give everyone an idea of the time frame.

Anything else will effect the Euros - and subsequently the 2021/22 season and the World Cup.

They cannot just sit and wait, the sooner they close this season down the more time left to make a sensible plan for the resumption and sort out any legal issues. I see more and more players and clubs saying end of June has to be the cut off point and the current information we have puts the lockdown and social distancing well past that date. It is also possible we may see a second wave as winter approaches.

The desperate ideas for some sort of completion of the season do not appear to be workable in the face of what is ahead. Even with the most optimistic outlook I can't see a resumption much before October and even that may not be possible.

• Like 3

Except that if they leave it until the end of April/middle of May, the legal issues might all fall away.

In terms of legal issues about teams not getting promoted, missing out on funds etc., they will rumble on for years. An extra five weeks isn’t going to make much difference. 

14 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Except that if they leave it until the end of April/middle of May, the legal issues might all fall away.

In terms of legal issues about teams not getting promoted, missing out on funds etc., they will rumble on for years. An extra five weeks isn’t going to make much difference. 

Aggy, a rough plan, but if the aim is to finish the leagues by the end of June then I think you would have to start playing by the first weekend in May. If teams then played every weekend and every other midweek that would be doable, allowing for the 9/10 rounds of matches.

That would give time in lateish June for the two rounds of the play-offs and provide some midweeks if the idea was also to finish off the FA Cup. Anything more concentrated than that would probably not work. But the leagues would have to decide to try to go ahead on those lines  pretty soon.

For myself I cannot see this being achieved. I am just musing on the timeframe if the attempt was going to be made. I notice the Italian FA was due to be cyber-meeting today, with the possibility that their season would be scrapped. If that happens it could start a trend.

Latest nonsensical suggestion mooted by PL is for entire squads to be kept separate in locations, hotels etc, and then the games to be played to complete 19/20 .  As previously stated it only takes one member of a team to contract virus to kybosh that stupid idea.  Also any games will need to be supported with medical staff you would expect the government to prevent any games being staged whilst there is a possibility of infection.  This is likely even if the situation improved in the next weeks there will always a possibility of a recurrence of the virus which has been experienced in some countries.  What if player breaks leg or worse?

The PL will want to call a halt to this season to limit its financial liabilities to its customers.  The loss of 2020/21 will be a financial disaster which could derail the PL gravy train, they need to at least show they are planning for next season.  Money talks potential legal action by EFL clubs will be small potatoes should they be forthcoming.  PL more interested in their bottom line than English football which is a tool in its business plan.     

This surely has to be led by UEFA as European qualification is affected. Once UEFA has a plan for next season's Champions League then domestic football will have to fall into line. 

The EPL clearly wants to finish the season for financial reasons but there is no point if the EFL doesn't follow suit. If the top 4 divisions finish the season that is another 400 games which all need a doctor and an ambulance. And they need to convince the players who clearly don't want to play until it is safe. I don't blame them and well done to Harry Kane for speaking out. 

I have family in the North West who are surrounded by Liverpool supporters. They say that all the people they have spoken to want the season scrapped. They really don't care about winning the league any more. 

The only people who want this finished are those who are looking at it from a purely financial perspective. They are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think they will get support from the public at large. They should take a long hard look at the public reaction to the Wetherspoons guy and think again 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Aggy, a rough plan, but if the aim is to finish the leagues by the end of June then I think you would have to start playing by the first weekend in May. If teams then played every weekend and every other midweek that would be doable, allowing for the 9/10 rounds of matches.

That would give time in lateish June for the two rounds of the play-offs and provide some midweeks if the idea was also to finish off the FA Cup. Anything more concentrated than that would probably not work. But the leagues would have to decide to try to go ahead on those lines  pretty soon.

For myself I cannot see this being achieved. I am just musing on the timeframe if the attempt was going to be made. I notice the Italian FA was due to be cyber-meeting today, with the possibility that their season would be scrapped. If that happens it could start a trend.

I can’t see it being achieved either but surely you have to plan to get something in place and if the coronavirus situation has changed to allow you to proceed then you proceed. If the coronavirus situation hasn’t changed then you scrap it then. I really see very little point in making that decision now. 

Rugby Union decided that the season was over. Except the Premier League.

Relegation has already been decided so they do not really need to finish as they finish the season with their Premier playoffs which realistically cannot be attempted.

They will decide on promotion and relegation later. A lot will depend on whether club's can afford to be promoted.

The National League has done the same and I have only heard of one club making their objections public. The club's in these divisions need to know where they will be next season and leaving it much longer could have crippled them.

I expect the ELF to show some sense and call off their three divisions before the EPL acts. Their financial problems are far greater than the EPL and they need to get things sorted before next season.

Once the ELF makes a decision I think it will make it easy for the EPL to make their decision.

We all know that the EPL sees itself as the only football that matters but it is time for them to realise that the game is up. I know we would benefit from a bill and void but that is just luck. And spreading next season's money to all club's will help some of the problems and bring a bit more  unity to the whole game.

I am not sure about the transfer window either. The movement of players especially from abroad may well be restricted.

I think European football may have to be cancelled for next season. I don't see why 85 club's should be affected because of UEFA's leagues. 38 or 46 league games are more important than considering the Champions League.