Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

National League null and void

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Just proves it’s only about money for the bigger leagues, wonder when the reality is going to hit that the next few months at a minimum is a non starter for football and start planning on hopefully getting next season unscathed.

• Like 1

I wonder how different the reaction would be for us City supporters if it was this time last year being top of the Championship? Very different I suspect. 

For me I want this mess to go away as soon as possible as the longer it goes on the bigger the financial damage so if that means finishing the season and getting relegated then so be it. 

The financial problems that everyone of us face for years to come will be a lot bigger than being p'd off for a few days following relegation. 

Sadly I think we are in this for many months ahead and a very, very small silver lining is that the season will be null and void. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But some teams have played more games than others.

The outstanding games would surely just need to be played. Not great, but a lot easier to find time to fit them in than the full 92 (PL games remaining) 🙂

8 hours ago, pete said:

BBC reporting it is only leagues below National League level i.e. North and South plus NL results are to be expunged. Not the National League apparently believe season can be ended.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport

If you read the report you'd linked, you'd see it states:
"However, the National League, National League North and South, WSL and Women's Championship will continue towards a conclusion 'as quickly as possible'."

6 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

If it becomes null and void for the PL, who qualifies for Europe next season? 

The teams who qualified at the end of 2018/19

• Like 1

6 hours ago, K Lo said:

If you read the report you'd linked, you'd see it states:
"However, the National League, National League North and South, WSL and Women's Championship will continue towards a conclusion 'as quickly as possible'."

Never going to happen. Time to bite the bullet and void the season.

• Like 1

Authorities know it is not in their hands, obviously developing lots of possible scenarios of which this is one, but realistically waiting for the virus to play out and lockdown to end before making a decision. Currently it seams that the peak is not until June so it is not possible to even pick an option until we see the spped of decline of infections after that. If indeed we do. Whatever we think of 2019/2020's outcome, looks like there is a real risk of the 2020/2021 season being trashed as well. Elite professional football as we know it, is finished.

8 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Authorities know it is not in their hands, obviously developing lots of possible scenarios of which this is one, but realistically waiting for the virus to play out and lockdown to end before making a decision. Currently it seams that the peak is not until June so it is not possible to even pick an option until we see the spped of decline of infections after that. If indeed we do. Whatever we think of 2019/2020's outcome, looks like there is a real risk of the 2020/2021 season being trashed as well. Elite professional football as we know it, is finished.

I think you are right about elite professional football, great opportunity to reset things on a more sustainable footing.

Edited by Van wink

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The teams who qualified at the end of 2018/19

Thanks Dylan.

Something tells me we will be playing Premier League football again next season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

Thanks Dylan.

Something tells me we will be playing Premier League football again next season.

We have avoided relegation but the clubs who will suffer the most in my mind are Leicester and Sheffield United. A real shame for both. 

And the thought of Arsenal qualifying for the Champions League is a bit too much to take but I suppose there is no alternative 

• Like 1

Just now, dylanisabaddog said:

We have avoided relegation but the clubs who will suffer the most in my mind are Leicester and Sheffield United. A real shame for both. 

And the thought of Arsenal qualifying for the Champions League is a bit too much to take but I suppose there is no alternative 

I agree, it would be ever so harsh on Sheffield Utd and others, and I would also feel for them. I really like Chris Wilder, as this season progressed he showed himself to be a real salt of the earth bloke.

But, here’s the MASSIVE silver lining in all of this...

Leeds, oh my god, just the sheer thought of it is truly and utterly mouth watering! 🙏🤩🤩🤩

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I agree, it would be ever so harsh on Sheffield Utd and others, and I would also feel for them. I really like Chris Wilder, as this season progressed he showed himself to be a real salt of the earth bloke.

But, here’s the MASSIVE silver lining in all of this...

Leeds, oh my god, just the sheer thought of it is truly and utterly mouth watering! 🙏🤩🤩🤩

We really shouldn't be laughing at Leeds🙄 But as you started it I'll join in😂

I see Leeds have agreed a deferral on players wages. Sounds like financially they are balanced right on the edge of the precipice.

Fans of teams who are safe or on the verge of achieving something want the season to restart whenever in the future. All those supporters who fear their team is for the drop want a null and void declared yesterday, very interesting.

7 hours ago, Van wink said:

I think you are right about elite professional football, great opportunity to reset things on a more sustainable footing.

Wouldnt that be  a great dream VW, the unstoppable greed of the super rich of the PL, supported by the Sky  billions and super rich owners from around the world, Shanghai-ed by a virus from China. If the possibility becomes reality, itll be the only blessing this virus  will give us. Right now the football heads are still stuck in the sand, but as ricardo rightly says, acceptance of reality comes slow, but maybe they have one eye a bit above the sand now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Wouldnt that be  a great dream VW, the unstoppable greed of the super rich of the PL, supported by the Sky  billions and super rich owners from around the world, Shanghai-ed by a virus from China. If the possibility becomes reality, itll be the only blessing this virus  will give us. Right now the football heads are still stuck in the sand, but as ricardo rightly says, acceptance of reality comes slow, but maybe they have one eye a bit above the sand now.

I'm hoping there will be many environmental blessing following this virus as well EJ.....we can dream.

On 25/03/2020 at 19:59, Bill said:

EH ! ! ! ! !

If the PL just 'writes this off' there will not be clubs to start a new season, They will have to default on meeting contracts which can only be done by bankruptcy.

Rushing through games three at a time over the w/e and midweek will take a month or so ( June) then it is a short break and start again early Sept

Have a look at City's accounts and tell me where they can find the £25 m plus to cover the shortfall

All my posts are based on a belief that I do not feel games will be played in June.

In my opinion (and I may well be wrong) football won’t recommence until August if not beyond, so at that point you’re finishing this season instead of starting the next one

That's my whole point, The TV money won’t pay you twice, if you finish this season as late as then it means your pushing back the income from the following season my theory is that smaller clubs can not afford to restart only to then have another end of season break. I think once we start again they will want a whole season worth of games incoming ASAP, not playing 4 or 5 home games only to go on a break again.

Edited by Hillhead
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, BigFish said:

Yep, depressingly a very realistic viewpoint. Or not depressingly in some ways as this event will level the playing field. 

I've heard that the NHS are expecting this to peak in mid April with a 6 week period of hell to follow. We then have to plateau and then come down the curve, which will take just as long as it took to get up it. That's best case scenario.

This season will be null and void and the various leagues will pick up the pieces thereafter depending on who is still in business. I just can't see it being this calendar year and it will be jumpers for goalposts if ever we reconvene.

Sky have already resorted to free Sports and it will be hard for any customer to ever again commit to lengthy contracts to watch football that might not ever start. Expect future iterations of Covid-19, expect future disruption and lockdown. The Sky money has gone, football as we know it is over, but not necessarily a bad thing for the purist.

Realistically i cannot see football being important enough to be played again until September/October time.

Behind closed doors to finish season PL are considering and that is pure madness in the foreseeable future, games could not be played without medical cover and that means an ambulance on duty with necessary staff.  Whilst this crisis continues and may be possibly a serious concern for many months to come don't expect any football soon.  Self isolation will also be in operation during the extended period..

Behind closed doors?

You can't stop the dumbos going to the seaside for fish & chips so how many thousands of fans will turn up at the ground regardless.

• Like 1