Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

National League null and void

Kings Lynn's season over as the NL voted to cancel the season because of the virus. No idea what happens to promotion and relegation issues.

Bundesliga teams taking a pay cut. It will happen everywhere as it becomes clear playing on is not an option.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Gutted for King's Lynn but I can't see an alternative. 

(They were only gonna blow it, anyway)

Staying in business is the priority now.

• Like 3

As said on the Birmingham paycut thread before this was announced:

It coud be worse than that. If the PL insists on finishing the season no matter what, which pretty much by definition means at the very least going in June and possibly even July, that only makes sense if the three divisions below also carry on. Which strikes me as financially unlikely, with clubs having to wait through April and May for gate receipts to keep them going. I suspect some clubs won't be able to carry on. It won't be a question of cutting the players' salaries but not having any players.

I see that already there is talk that the National League is going to call a halt to the season and I would not be surprised if some clubs in Leagues One and Two are thinking along the same lines. Which would upset the system of promotion and relegation (one of the supposed reasons for playing the PL to a finish).

As for the implications, if this happens lower down but somehow the PL and perhaps the Championship finish (unlikely I know, but there is enormous financial pressure to complete the PL season) then you potentially end up relegating clubs into divisions from which there are no clubs to be promoted by absolute right.

There is an alternative solution if voiding becomes inevitable and that involves freezing all four top divisions as they are now and promoting sides in the automatic slots but not relegating anyone. It would certainly lead to legal action from play-off teams but they would face the argument that promoting two teams would be better than none at all.

There are some drawbacks to it (the PL would end up with 22 clubs for one season) but it would mean this three-quarter season would have had some point to it, rather than voiding, which would render all that endless football totally irrelevant, while still provoking law suits.

50 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Sensible and paves the way for a complete new start hopefully in August.

Which August?  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Wimbledon looks to be the latest event to be cancelled.

Which makes the EPL suggestion to play in June/July look rather silly

• Like 4

Just now, dylanisabaddog said:

Which makes the EPL suggestion to play in June/July look rather silly

Did anyone seriously believe it?

• Like 2

Which August? 

Trumpton has said it will all be over by Easter. 

I was just thinking of the traditional start month but there is nothing to stop September or even October if the Cups are cancelled.

45 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The EPL is run by some very business savvy people. They're not idiots. Perhaps the delay is down to the old duffers at the FA

3 hours ago, sonyc said:

Kings Lynn's season over as the NL voted to cancel the season because of the virus. No idea what happens to promotion and relegation issues.

I read this and telephoned a friend who is involved in the appointment of officials for games and he said this is not the case just yet so good old google revealed this from just three hours ago...

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/national-league-void-season-premier-league-and-efl-a4397136.html.

20 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I read this and telephoned a friend who is involved in the appointment of officials for games and he said this is not the case just yet so good old google revealed this from just three hours ago...

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/national-league-void-season-premier-league-and-efl-a4397136.html.

Mine was the Lynn News Til and I follow official KL on Twitter and story emerged about half one ish

Good News for the Boro i.e. Stevenage however should be relegated as they have been truly awful, only the four managers this season.  No away wins and only 3 at home.  But Div 2 down to 23 teams noone replacing Bury from NL.

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

yes

until someone explains where the 20% TV and sponsors income is going to come from

TV money is paid out based on it coming in over the season - not as some £100m plus lump in August

so the question is not one of supposed 'fairness' with regard to relegation/promotion, but one of how to stop professional football collapsing.... as almost all of the income is already 'spent' ie player contracts, what is owed in staged payments

the idea that clubs can simply do a Dim Martin and shrug off their responsibilities cannot happen

until it can be shown where the money is coming from otherwise then expect the PL to do whatever it takes, or can, to ensure football doesn;'t collapse

There comes a point when more money is lost by completing the season than by abandoning it.

That is, when completing the season disrupts next season to the extent that more is lost than the currently remaining 9 games.

11 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

There comes a point when more money is lost by completing the season than by abandoning it.

That is, when completing the season disrupts next season to the extent that more is lost than the currently remaining 9 games.

No, that is being silly

None games equates to almost 25% of the season. I have been generous and put the lost TV income at around 20%

Which does not include shirt sponsorship along with all other advertising etc. No PL club can bear that loss.

Starting the season a month or so late is of no great consequence.Trying to start a season when clubs have gone to the wall is of a great consequence.

44 minutes ago, Bill said:

yes

until someone explains where the 20% TV and sponsors income is going to come from

TV money is paid out based on it coming in over the season - not as some £100m plus lump in August

In that case if this does drag on long enough (to the point where it would be pushing back next season) could there be an argument for just abandoning this season and getting the new one started as opposed to coming back only to then have to finish again 9 games later?

3 minutes ago, Hillhead said:

In that case if this does drag on long enough (to the point where it would be pushing back next season) could there be an argument for just abandoning this season and getting the new one started as opposed to coming back only to then have to finish again 9 games later?

If there is a way for clubs to survive a huge cut in their income

At the moment just under a quarter of games have not been played - so why should TV, sponsors etc pay for what has not been delivered ?

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

No, that is being silly

None games equates to almost 25% of the season. I have been generous and put the lost TV income at around 20%

Which does not include shirt sponsorship along with all other advertising etc. No PL club can bear that loss.

Starting the season a month or so late is of no great consequence.Trying to start a season when clubs have gone to the wall is of a great consequence.

Thanks. 

The scenario I painted was based on what would happen if next season was disrupted by more than the nine games we have remaining. Clearly that point wouldn’t have been reached if next season starts just a month or so late.

Losing 50% of next seasons income in order to save the 20% remaining of this one would be plain silly, Billy.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

If there is a way for clubs to survive a huge cut in their income

At the moment just under a quarter of games have not been played - so why should TV, sponsors etc pay for what has not been delivered ?

They shouldn't.

But I'm thinking in the scenario that finishing this season ends up delaying the start of next season. So in effect stopping what they would be earning from next season having started. I haven't phrased this well but my point is could it just be easier for clubs to start next season (knowing they have a whole season's income to come in) as opposed to finishing this one only to then have another break 

The point is player contracts are water tight,

If the TV money is not forthcoming ie the 20% or so due where to the clubs get their momey from ?  If they think they can raid next seasons income then they are merely deferring the problem.

A club's outgoings are based on what they will receive over this season. Default by not paying and they lose, which would send finacial waves right down the leagues ie what we owe Coventry for the youngster

5 minutes ago, Hillhead said:

They shouldn't.

But I'm thinking in the scenario that finishing this season ends up delaying the start of next season. So in effect stopping what they would be earning from next season having started. I haven't phrased this well but my point is could it just be easier for clubs to start next season (knowing they have a whole season's income to come in) as opposed to finishing this one only to then have another break 

You’ve phrased it perfectly well Hillhead. It’s clearly something that will come into play if things drag on long enough. It’s easy enough to understand.

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

The point is player contracts are water tight,

If the TV money is not forthcoming ie the 20% or so due where to the clubs get their momey from ?  If they think they can raid next seasons income then they are merely deferring the problem.

A club's outgoings are based on what they will receive over this season. Default by not paying and they lose, which would send finacial waves right down the leagues ie what we owe Coventry for the youngster

Fair point. If the season is abandoned then clubs are going to be up pooh creek, no doubt. So we can accept that they will do all they can to save this season and the associated revenue if it is at all possible.

The point remains however that losses would be even worse if the following season were to be cut in half, for instance, because of an extended delay. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

You are right Tilly, nothing has been decided yet, this is the latest from Lynn news 

https://www.lynnnews.co.uk/sport/linnets-await-national-league-outcome-as-member-clubs-agree-to-end-season-now-9104205/

They are now waiting for the decision  to be ratified during talks with the FA  and confirm who goes up and down. which could be done by final places or decided by points per game, unless of course they decide to void the complete season.

Meanwhile they desperately need to raise £5000 to help them through this difficult patch if anyone  can help them  https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/kltfc