Sign in to follow this  
benchwarmer

Anyone else learning a new skill?

I'm having a go at picture framing.  Lots of instructions online.  Tools and materials also available online if nowhere else is open.

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I’ve picked up my bass more in the past week than I have in the past year. 

Me too, catching him is the difficult bit though

F2185B78-58F7-413E-8F9F-3B66D574B3AF.jpeg

• Haha 1

I'm trying to learn how to get some work done and not go completely mental while the kids squabble about everything. It's not going great so far.

22 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I'm trying to learn how to get some work done and not go completely mental while the kids squabble about everything. It's not going great so far.

I’ve only got one, so really feel for you as one is plenty in this situ. Got woken up this morning being stabbed in the ribs with a broom (think it was my kid rather than the missus).

On topic, I’m going to sort out the lessons and curriculum for next year, but then the plan is to get my Turkish language back up to a decent standard as it’s been 10 years since I came back home and my skills have diminished.... also losing weight - got about 2 stone to go (lost 1 already).... so glad we splashed out on a decent standard treadmill a year or so back.

I have been working on increasing my lung capacity and can now hold my breath longer than an experienced pearl diver.....It's in preparation for when I go up and down the supermarket aisles...... 

• Haha 1

I'm building a Billing Boat.

Bought the wooden kit about 18 months ago for a rainly day.

Been working on it off and on for 3 months and I'm just about halfway.

As you can see from the short video there's an awful lot of work involved.

Not easy as the instructions aren't totally conclusive but there's plenty of advice out there on various forums from people who have already built one.

I'm enjoying it and should get it finished in the next 3 months

image.png.804df0fe37d83cc3190b38ddcb69dfae.png

4 hours ago, Making Plans said:

I'm building a Billing Boat.

Bought the wooden kit about 18 months ago for a rainly day.

Been working on it off and on for 3 months and I'm just about halfway.

As you can see from the short video there's an awful lot of work involved.

Not easy as the instructions aren't totally conclusive but there's plenty of advice out there on various forums from people who have already built one.

I'm enjoying it and should get it finished in the next 3 months

image.png.804df0fe37d83cc3190b38ddcb69dfae.png

3 months ! Is yours full size ? 

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm learning how to work from home. It's more stressful than when I was at work.

Wacky I’ve worked from home many years, Microsoft Team is a great tool to keep up with everyone at you works.

As for learning, yes trying to play the guitar, but I’m bloody rubbish.....can’t get both hands to play the right strings and frets! I’ll stick to the keyboard!

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Wacky I’ve worked from home many years, Microsoft Team is a great tool to keep up with everyone at you works.

As for learning, yes trying to play the guitar, but I’m bloody rubbish.....can’t get both hands to play the right strings and frets! I’ll stick to the keyboard!

I think some people I work had problems with Teams so we didn't try it, although many people have recommended it. In the end we went with Zoom. I'm a teacher, and Zoom seems the best platform that I've seen to do online lessons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

I’ll help you with the guitar if you help me with the keyboard 😉

• Haha 1

I don't know what the weather is like for you Icenians but us Celts have had some wonderful sunshine and the garden is looking pristine and its a shame we can't open it up for viewing. Bought a new power washer and gone beserk.

Haven't got Covid 19 but the back is a bit weary. 

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

I’ll help you with the guitar if you help me with the keyboard 😉

Are you trying classical piano or synth keyboard? If it’s piano sorry can’t help, I did grade three on my keyboard, wanted to be in an 80’s OMD type band but was bloody rubbish at band keyboard 😂👍

I think I’ll have to accept I’m just not cut out to be a musical type!

Edited by Indy

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Are you trying classical piano or synth keyboard? If it’s piano sorry can’t help, I did grade three on my keyboard, wanted to be in an 80’s OMD type band but was bloody rubbish at band keyboard 😂👍

It’s a keyboard although I only use two sounds, piano or a Hammond organ style. I can read music which helps but I’m not used to having two staves. YouTube is very helpful plus my sister has given me some beginners stuff, one of which is Christmas tunes. I can stumble through  We Three Kings ok 😁

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

It’s a keyboard although I only use two sounds, piano or a Hammond organ style. I can read music which helps but I’m not used to having two staves. YouTube is very helpful plus my sister has given me some beginners stuff, one of which is Christmas tunes. I can stumble through  We Three Kings ok 😁

Yes I started the guitar about 10 years ago, still struggling with everything, doesn’t help as I start then chuck it in the loft only for it to come down every three years.......me saying this time I’ll take lessons and learn to play it.....then it heads back up!

Good luck.

10 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes I started the guitar about 10 years ago, still struggling with everything, doesn’t help as I start then chuck it in the loft only for it to come down every three years.......me saying this time I’ll take lessons and learn to play it.....then it heads back up!

Good luck.

You too 😁

I’ve picked up my bass more in the past week than I have in the past year. 

I got rid of mine in an auction. I thought I may have been progressing but then you watch this . . .

and I thought to hell with it, I'l try my saxophone again

10 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Me too, catching him is the difficult bit though

F2185B78-58F7-413E-8F9F-3B66D574B3AF.jpeg

Nice bass....I'll give you a tenor for it......

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Good luck.

Mine has been in the cupboard for a couple of years now. Unfortunately arthritis in my hands has put the kybosh on things.

11 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Trying to learn the piano, slowly getting there, I need to put a bit more practice in really.

I hope you are playing all the right notes FF.

• Like 1

Yeah. Had a skeleton crew in. Got about 3 acres each. Got some nesting buzzards for company though. 

• Like 1