Sign in to follow this  
mccanary

So.....can I go to work today?

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I checked the list of places still allowed to be open...Hardware shops are one...but ive no idea why..are they really essential?

Just in case you need fork handles

Why that exact number?

Absolute mess. Have said construction can continue but builders merchants have closed for the foreseeable future!! How the **** can we work then 

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, JF said:

Absolute mess. Have said construction can continue but builders merchants have closed for the foreseeable future!! How the **** can we work then 

Going round in circles today . Thought I’d got it sorted in my head to go to work . As you say , builders merchants now shut !! Also listening to BBC radio , stressing only to travel to work if absolutely necessary and to check what those occupations are !?!?
I realise there’s a ridiculous amount to sort out , but surely it can be clearer than this.

Think the announcer may have got that wrong . Not helpful .

Edited by Pockthorpe
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

Going round in circles today . Thought I’d got it sorted in my head to go to work . As you say , builders merchants now shut !! Also listening to BBC radio , stressing only to travel to work if absolutely necessary and to check what those occupations are !?!?
I realise there’s a ridiculous amount to sort out , but surely it can be clearer than this.

Trouble is, every situation is different. They simply cannot legislate for that, so they just put a blanket ban on anything that isn't demonstrably essential.

I suppose one of the problems is that if you see other people going out to work normally, well then why shouldn't I?

I'd hope there'd be common sense applied at local level; if you're working on your own, away from other people, you'd hope nobody would interfere. But it does need common sense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Trouble is, every situation is different. They simply cannot legislate for that, so they just put a blanket ban on anything that isn't demonstrably essential.

I suppose one of the problems is that if you see other people going out to work normally, well then why shouldn't I?

I'd hope there'd be common sense applied at local level; if you're working on your own, away from other people, you'd hope nobody would interfere. But it does need common sense.

I agree Ron . It’s just incredibly frustrating when I want to do the right thing balanced with keeping money coming in .

However , I’m ashamed that I’ve made far too much of a fuss about this today as my problems are absolutely nothing compared to some poor souls . 

5 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

I agree Ron . It’s just incredibly frustrating when I want to do the right thing balanced with keeping money coming in .

However , I’m ashamed that I’ve made far too much of a fuss about this today as my problems are absolutely nothing compared to some poor souls . 

Seems like we are allowed to work but ,as you say all the suppliers have shut their doors this morning.  Managed to get a few bits to keep going this week from one supplier who was good enough to open for a couple of hours but that's it. 

Seems there is a bill in front of parliament today to address the self employed conundrum. Fingers crossed. 

Stay safe and thoughts are with all affected. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

Nothing to be ashamed of. You're hardly kicking up a great fuss, & certainly not posting a load of hate like some others on here. We all have problems & fears & it does no harm to share them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Rishi just saying construction industry still open - but workers must keep safe distance apart.

Does this apply to tradesmen working at residential premises too? 

Still all a bit woolly. 

8 minutes ago, mccanary said:

Does this apply to tradesmen working at residential premises too? 

Still all a bit woolly. 

Honestly can't help with that one! I would think emergency stuff - plumbing etc. - must be OK, but general stuff??

It's a freakin nightmare. One thing they really need to do is provide a comprehensive job FAQ sheet online. It shouldn't be that difficult.

55 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Rishi just saying construction industry still open - but workers must keep safe distance apart.

Can’t be open if the merchants are closed though. I think they are unaware of these things 

Chap on Sky news is now saying the only construction work that should be happening is building and maintaining hospitals and critical infrastructure, elective building work such as a kitchen refurb or fixing a chimney should not be happening. My hear goes out to the self employed, so little support and so little coherent, clear advice. My bro is self employed and is staring down the barrel of his company going bust.

55 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Chap on Sky news is now saying the only construction work that should be happening is building and maintaining hospitals and critical infrastructure, elective building work such as a kitchen refurb or fixing a chimney should not be happening. My hear goes out to the self employed, so little support and so little coherent, clear advice. My bro is self employed and is staring down the barrel of his company going bust.

Is that just his interpretation or a directive? 

Hopefully boris will get his sh1t together and help us all out. 

Fingers crossed for your bro. We're all feeling it.

13 minutes ago, mccanary said:

Is that just his interpretation or a directive? 

Hopefully boris will get his sh1t together and help us all out. 

Fingers crossed for your bro. We're all feeling it.

I have no idea who he was, I suspect it was an interpretation rather than advice, the lack of support and coherent advice is so frustrating.

• Like 1

Boris definitely said don't travel to work if you can work at home. 

I can't work from home but my work doesn't require any contact with others so social distancing isn't a problem, I've been working. 

MOT completed today. Good news, no virus present and passed with flying colours👍

4 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Yep... End of April

Next week for me. And I need a new tyre after a puncture yesterday.

5 hours ago, Essjayess said:

I checked the list of places still allowed to be open...Hardware shops are one...but ive no idea why..are they really essential?

Absolutely essential.

After a few days being stuck at home with your OH you’re going to need a club hammer/rope, plastic sheeting, heavy duty bin bags and a chain saw.

Boris won’t want people trudging the streets spreading their germs when you can get all that in an easy one stop shop 😉

Some things you can't buy online. 

I could be mischievous and list here, but the thread might be pulled and the FBI will be banging on the door, you'll need to just use your imagination. 😊