Sign in to follow this  
mccanary

So.....can I go to work today?

27 minutes ago, mccanary said:

I'm a self employed small builder.  

Is this essential work??? 

I’m a self employed roofer , so unsure like you  . I can probably work on my own . But unclear if that’s the point or if it’s whether it’s essential work only . Which realistically I guess mine isn’t . What is essential is to know if us self employed are going to get any help like the employed , so the sooner we can find that out the better . Massive understatement .

Staying at home today so I can sort it in my head a bit . 
Take care mccanary mate . 

Edited by Pockthorpe
  • Like 1

I don’t think it’s essential work only but maybe I have misunderstood it, can you not travel to work if you can’t do it from home? 

Ok just heard Rebecca Long Bailey say that it is only an essential work place that you can travel to. This really needs sorting, self employed are getting it in the neck from all sides here.

Edited by Van wink

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

I don’t think it’s essential work only but maybe I have misunderstood it, can you not travel to work if you can’t do it from home?

Yes , I think that’s what I’m thinking Van wink . Just want to show solidarity and really don’t want to get it wrong ! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

I’m a self employed roofer , so unsure like you  . I can probably work on my own . But unclear if that’s the point or if it’s whether it’s essential work only . Which realistically I guess mine isn’t . What is essential is to know if us self employed are going to get any help like the employed , so the sooner we can find that out the better . Massive understatement .

Staying at home today so I can sort it in my head a bit . 
Take care mccanary mate . 

I've got one site where subbies are working today which is open.  Outside and away from customer but will the concrete turn up??? Local builders merchant closed but have 2500 of materials ordered and paid for so they won't arrive.  

It's a real mess . 

Stay safe all. 

14 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Ok just heard that it is only an essential work place that you can travel to. 

Got that last bit Van wink . Will just monitor things closely today . It is confusing , and I’m not really blaming anyone for that . It’s part of the  nature of such unprecedented awful events . Hopefully things will be made clearer soon . Unless I’m just being thick , not improbable ! 

Edited by Pockthorpe

7 minutes ago, mccanary said:

I've got one site where subbies are working today which is open.  Outside and away from customer but will the concrete turn up??? Local builders merchant closed but have 2500 of materials ordered and paid for so they won't arrive.  

It's a real mess . 

Stay safe all. 

Difficult times MC. People need clarity.

Hope all goes well for you👍

Gove just said that construction can continue on site but in open air keeping social distancing. 

so off you go 😀

Edited by Van wink
  • Thanks 1

If the work was out of doors and didn't involve close contact with more than one other person, I would probably go.  You could put it down as daily exercise!  Life must go on.

4 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Gove just said that construction can continue on site but in open air keeping social distancing. 

so off you go 😀

Just heard that too . Right , I’ll do my packed lunch now then ......

• Haha 1

The reporting has been somewhat contradictory but, as I understand it, people are allowed to go to work as normal if they can't work from home (and obviously assuming they are symptom free). However, a number of business types have been instructed to close; all of which seem to be in relation to customers visiting the premises. All non-essential retail is to close, but shops are encouraged to continue online sales and and deliveries will continue.

• Like 1

Argos expect their employees to go in and work in the warehouses. Not sure what they're doing to prepare or protect their employees.

8 minutes ago, Petriix said:

The reporting has been somewhat contradictory but, as I understand it, people are allowed to go to work as normal if they can't work from home (and obviously assuming they are symptom free). However, a number of business types have been instructed to close; all of which seem to be in relation to customers visiting the premises. All non-essential retail is to close, but shops are encouraged to continue online sales and and deliveries will continue.

That looks like a very good summary, but to add that you can only work in locations where it is possible to social distance. Problem is surfaces etc can still become contaminated so you need facilities for regular hand washing and proper cleaning off surfaces

Edited by Van wink

44 minutes ago, Van wink said:

That looks like a very good summary, but to add that you can only work in locations where it is possible to social distance. Problem is surfaces etc can still become contaminated so you need facilities for regular hand washing and proper cleaning off surfaces

City is very very quiet.

Skeleton crew!

Very ambiguous really. But I think it means you can go to work. Obviously if you have to travel to work it is necessary. If you can work from home then it isn't necessary to travel.

Grandson works in Seasalt warehouse for online products. He will be continuing to work. But my wife drops him off to work for 2pm. But she has already been out once to feed her horses and I have walked the dog. And we have a WhatsApp group to do shopping and its our turn. So can she drop him off after shopping? Probably not but its dry so he can walk. Fingers crossed for him.

His girlfriend is a nurse and finds out today of she can go home as her Mum has underlying health problems. If not, she has to stay with us. But she might have Covid 19 as the only protection she has is a mask.

Western Force, the electrical suppliers around here all have bio suits etc.

Funny old game Saint.

Bob Geldoff is on Good Morning Britain with his pearls of wisdom LOL !

Edited by TIL 1010

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Bob Geldoff is on Good Morning Britain with his pearls of wisdom LOL !

He was supposed to be on GMB yesterday but he don't like Mondays and he's lookin' after number one.....

• Like 1

I was calling for something like this several weeks earlier so finally pleased if a bit too late.

It's not a complete shutdown but with retail, pubs and clubs and 'social' events/reasons closed plus people working away from home that only really need to it will stop all unnecessary interactions and have a direct effect on the transmission of the virus.

• Like 1

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874742/Full_guidance_on_staying_at_home_and_away_from_others__1_.pdf

i understand these are the official guidelines linked by the BBC. so you can still go to work if you can’t work from home but obviously keep distance

i think Boris is just following scientific advice but obviously this changes as they are learning about the virus all the time but some less verbose and more clear and direct language would help which I think he is trying to do but not something that comes naturally to him. 

Edited by T
  • Like 1

Self employed, went to work this morning as have to get this job finished this week. After this week is anyone’s guess. Need that help package in place so we can have some clarity about our future 

I checked the list of places still allowed to be open...Hardware shops are one...but ive no idea why..are they really essential?

I checked the list of places still allowed to be open...Hardware shops are one...but ive no idea why..are they really essential?

Just in case you need fork handles

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Anyone got an mot due ?

Why....have you got some dodgy pass certificates?..... 😉